Topic: Mini Disk question - Help please

Decided it was about time that I added a mini-disk recorder to my hi-fi system, as my tape deck is getting rather old and frail. Can't decide between a mini-disk hi-fi deck, or a portable player/recorder.

Anyway, my question is that, are PORTABLE mini-disk recorders/players able to be connected (by line connectors I assume) to hi-fi amplifiers so that I can listen to the mini-disk on my hi-fi speakers, or do they only have inputs?

<i></i>

Re: Mini Disk question - Help please

Thats a really silly question...

Having queries like that means you really ought 2 advice a sales person or maybe visit a few portable mini disc manufacturers and check out their spec sheets!

To put you out of the trouble, as far as I know all of the latest portable mini discs feature all sorts of outputs including optical ones so that shouldnt be a problem. If you have the cash to spare Id buy both (rack + portable) but If you dont, go for portable they are definetly VFM and got loads of features...
<i></i>

Thanks for the advice.

I originally thought that they had outputs, but I visited Sony's and Sharp's websites for the specsheets, and they didn't mention any outputs at all, only inputs. Thus confusing me completely!!!
<i></i>

That would just be silly. How would you hear it?   

Any portable Minidisc over 100 pounds or so should have recordable features. MD truly is an amazing product. I bet a lot of you just take it for granted but when you think of what it allows you to do - its simply stunning.

Anyway, plugging a portable into a hifi is a piece of cake. All you need is a 3.5mm stereo plug (the same as headphones) to a twin phono inputs. You can buy these cables ready-made for about 2 or 3 quid.

Personally I use a Hifi version for recording and home use (I find it more robust, reliable and easier use plus it looks better    ) and a portable while on the move. Get a decent mic and you can record things on the go!! Brilliant 
<i>Edited by: simonpreston at: 8/26/02 1:03:23 am
</i>

Quote:

"That would just be silly. How would you hear it?"

Through headphones!!!

Of course it would be be nice for the manufacturers to mention that the headphone output doubles up as the line output in their literature. 
<i></i>

Headphones always output at line level, since amplification isn`t neccesary for headphones. Obviously, a headphone socket is an output.

I`m not arguing by the way. Just saying.
<i></i>

chill, boys...

Has anyone tried those NetMD's?  32x recording sounds great for handing out mixes, especially if you don't have to do the track names every time.
<i></i>

Hopefully that is what I will be getting today. Or at least if my local Richer Sounds (conveniently less than 100m away) get round to opening today.
<i></i>

Lucky Bugger!!
Simon Preston -

www.simonpreston33.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk<i></i>

I own one myself and it really does miracles for me, whatever I choose to record on it...definetly a must buy !
<i></i>

Inputs: DC In 3V, USB (Connection with USB Cradle), Optical Line In (stereo mini jack), Mic In (plug-in power, stereo mini)

Outputs: Headphones/Remote (stereo mini) 
<i></i>

whether you get a rack one for your hifi or a portable, just make sure it's a Sony!
<i></i>

i got a NetMD sony deck recently. can't get the USB link working though 

there are some problems with NetMD - i think you can download MDs but not upload?

and also the software restricts you to making only 3 copies of each MD.

hopefully someone will come out with some 3rd party software that gets round these restrictions.

<i></i>

I got an MZR 909 for

when it works it is great.

However I will not work on my Home PC but works ok on my laptop.

Be very careful when you first load the software.

DO NOT CONNECT THE NET MD TO THE USB UNTIL YOU HAVE LOADED THE NETMD/OPENMG SOFTWARE otherwise it will may pick up the wring driver

Also the support from Sony is @#%$ !
<i></i>

"Never apologize and never explain - it's a sign of weakness."

don't bother with NetMD.

If you record a live thing on the MD, you can't load it onto the PC with 32x speed.

also, it doesn't work with mac.

the NetMD thing is just like a MP3 player, nothing else.

also, Sharp has far better prices. And they are just as good...

*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*

accesss.org/stockholm<i></i>