Re: The General Footy Thread

smallman1 wrote:

If Cavani joins Citeh, he's an absolute fool.

Perhaps he has been told he would be playing alongside Torres if he signed for Chelsea?

Jack is back baby.....

Re: The General Footy Thread

Fat arse Kolo Toure? Is this some kind of sick joke?

Strudders is probably well up for this.

New formation:

---------Sturridge--------Suarez----------
--Coutinho------Gerrard-----------Suso--
-------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------
---------------------Lucas-------------------
-Enrique-----------------------------Johnson-
---------Agger---------------Skrtel-----------
---------------Toure's swede-------------------
-------------------------------------------------
------------(Toure's fat fucking arse)------
--------------------Reina---------------------

草泥马

Re: The General Footy Thread

12 players?

Re: The General Footy Thread

Clearly getting too much into character as rem ward Strudders there

草泥马

Re: The General Footy Thread

Beijing Dave wrote:

Fat arse Kolo Toure? Is this some kind of sick joke?

Strudders is probably well up for this.

New formation:

---------Sturridge--------Suarez----------
--Coutinho------Gerrard-----------Suso--
-------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------
---------------------Lucas-------------------
-Enrique-----------------------------Johnson-
---------Agger---------------Skrtel-----------
---------------Toure's swede-------------------
-------------------------------------------------
------------(Toure's fat fucking arse)------
--------------------Reina---------------------

Toure's head and arse taking up 2 spots - lol

reports are that we are expecting another defender in as well

also that club are open to offers for Reina - with Begovic lined up to replace

breaking news today that club have accepted £15m for the Geordie flop

Re: The General Footy Thread

smallman1 wrote:

I don't believe Arsenal sacrificed titles to build the Emirates.

Let's not forget it's been built for a few years now and they're still no closer to winning a trophy.


Wenger appointed in 1996 - honours from that point until stadium opened in 2006: 3 Premier League titles; 4 FA Cups; 4 Community Shield. Honours post-2006 stadium opening, during which Arsenal have paid off over £300 million to the banks: 0

End of discussion.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: The General Footy Thread

Hmmm interesting

Part of the problem

Re: The General Footy Thread

LOL at Community Shields

Re: The General Footy Thread

I reckon Dermo would defo include the Charity Shield in any post-1970s rundown of Leeds honours.

Beat a QUALITY Liverpool side that day too, with Paul Stewart, Steve Harkness, Nick Tanner, Ronny Rosenthal, Istvan Kozma and Mike Marsh in the side.

草泥马

Re: The General Footy Thread

haha I still have that weeks issue of Shoot sellotaped to the wall by my bed.

Part of the problem

Re: The General Footy Thread

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

I don't believe Arsenal sacrificed titles to build the Emirates.

Let's not forget it's been built for a few years now and they're still no closer to winning a trophy.


Wenger appointed in 1996 - honours from that point until stadium opened in 2006: 3 Premier League titles; 4 FA Cups; 4 Community Shield. Honours post-2006 stadium opening, during which Arsenal have paid off over £300 million to the banks: 0

End of discussion.

£200m still left to pay off as well

interesting....

Re: The General Footy Thread

pube85 wrote:

12 players?

12, 8 or 15. Would it matter?

Re: The General Footy Thread

Big Fella wrote:

LOL at Community Shields

So 28 trophies at United for Shitbag Ferguson then, not the reported 38, since Community Shield's clearly don't count.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: The General Footy Thread

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/800px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Re: The General Footy Thread

shaunstrudwick wrote:

breaking news today that club have accepted £15m for the Geordie flop

If that's for Downing I'd bite their hand off !

SimonR

Re: The General Footy Thread

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

I don't believe Arsenal sacrificed titles to build the Emirates.

Let's not forget it's been built for a few years now and they're still no closer to winning a trophy.


Wenger appointed in 1996 - honours from that point until stadium opened in 2006: 3 Premier League titles; 4 FA Cups; 4 Community Shield. Honours post-2006 stadium opening, during which Arsenal have paid off over £300 million to the banks: 0

End of discussion.

To be fair to Arsenal,if it wasn't for Fergie's unstoppable reign then we would be looking at Arsene Wenger as the best/most consistent manager the Premier League has seen by a long way (OK, Mourinho had a quick smash 'n' grab 3 years for Chelsea but I doubt even he could sustain top 4 success over 17 years).

Before Wenger took over Arsenal were a regular mid-table side who occasionally got lucky,so he's not done too badly and achievements aren't always about being the very top dog.

Re: The General Footy Thread

simonr wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:

breaking news today that club have accepted £15m for the Geordie flop

If that's for Downing I'd bite their hand off !

Downing is not a Geordie

Re: The General Footy Thread

stylustrouble wrote:
flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

I don't believe Arsenal sacrificed titles to build the Emirates.

Let's not forget it's been built for a few years now and they're still no closer to winning a trophy.


Wenger appointed in 1996 - honours from that point until stadium opened in 2006: 3 Premier League titles; 4 FA Cups; 4 Community Shield. Honours post-2006 stadium opening, during which Arsenal have paid off over £300 million to the banks: 0

End of discussion.

To be fair to Arsenal,if it wasn't for Fergie's unstoppable reign then we would be looking at Arsene Wenger as the best/most consistent manager the Premier League has seen by a long way (OK, Mourinho had a quick smash 'n' grab 3 years for Chelsea but I doubt even he could sustain top 4 success over 17 years).

Before Wenger took over Arsenal were a regular mid-table side who occasionally got lucky,so he's not done too badly and achievements aren't always about being the very top dog.


exactly

Re: The General Footy Thread

stylustrouble wrote:

To be fair to Arsenal,if it wasn't for Fergie's unstoppable reign then we would be looking at Arsene Wenger as the best/most consistent manager the Premier League has seen by a long way (OK, Mourinho had a quick smash 'n' grab 3 years for Chelsea but I doubt even he could sustain top 4 success over 17 years).

Before Wenger took over Arsenal were a regular mid-table side who occasionally got lucky,so he's not done too badly and achievements aren't always about being the very top dog.

George Graham's team played some shite awful football but to call them lucky is harsh. Six trophies (two of which were league titles) and a charity shield in 9 seasons is no mean feat. George Graham's back four went on to win trophies under Wenger too.

Re: The General Footy Thread

Mr Boring wrote:
stylustrouble wrote:

To be fair to Arsenal,if it wasn't for Fergie's unstoppable reign then we would be looking at Arsene Wenger as the best/most consistent manager the Premier League has seen by a long way (OK, Mourinho had a quick smash 'n' grab 3 years for Chelsea but I doubt even he could sustain top 4 success over 17 years).

Before Wenger took over Arsenal were a regular mid-table side who occasionally got lucky,so he's not done too badly and achievements aren't always about being the very top dog.

George Graham's team played some shite awful football but to call them lucky is harsh. Six trophies (two of which were league titles) and a charity shield in 9 seasons is no mean feat. George Graham's back four went on to win trophies under Wenger too.

Arsenal were only a mid-table side under Bruce Rioch, although he did sign Dennis Bergkamp so he wasnt all bad

Re: The General Footy Thread

erik.b wrote:
stylustrouble wrote:
flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Wenger appointed in 1996 - honours from that point until stadium opened in 2006: 3 Premier League titles; 4 FA Cups; 4 Community Shield. Honours post-2006 stadium opening, during which Arsenal have paid off over £300 million to the banks: 0

End of discussion.

To be fair to Arsenal,if it wasn't for Fergie's unstoppable reign then we would be looking at Arsene Wenger as the best/most consistent manager the Premier League has seen by a long way (OK, Mourinho had a quick smash 'n' grab 3 years for Chelsea but I doubt even he could sustain top 4 success over 17 years).

Before Wenger took over Arsenal were a regular mid-table side who occasionally got lucky,so he's not done too badly and achievements aren't always about being the very top dog.


exactly


Yep. Man United are all about Ferguson, but they've built a pretty solid empire so it's Moyes' to fuck up really. Apart from a glorious spell when George Best was winning all their big games for them, they've been a footnote in English football. I laugh my tits off when United fans start poncing on about 'history' - their brains are only hardwired, via their arseholes, to understand the last 20 years.

Arsenal's Wiki entry states that we would come out on top of the aggregate league of the 20th century, and for a history lesson about the club that straddles English football like a fucking giant, I really couldn't put it any better than this guy:


Proof That Arsenal Are The Greatest Club The World Has Ever Seen
Form, as they say, is temporary. Class is permanent.

According to the form books, Barcelona are pretty good at the moment. And Chelsea have had a decent run over the last few years. Manchester United have had a great 20 years and we all know about the Liverpool heyday in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

But if you want a team and a club that has exuded pure, unadulterated class for its entire history then there’s only one: The Arsenal.

And here’s why:

Which team has spent the most consecutive seasons in the English top flight (90 years and counting)? ARSENAL

Which team holds the longest unbeaten sequence in the English top flight (49 games, from May 7th 2003 to October 16th 2004)? ARSENAL

Which team has the longest unbeaten away sequence in English league football (27 games, April 5th 2003 to September 25th 2004)? ARSENAL

Which team has the longest consecutive scoring run in league games in England (55 games from May 19th 2001 to November 30th 2002)? ARSENAL

Who scored the most away goals in an English league season (60 goals in 1930/31)? ARSENAL

Which team has scored the most goals in an English league season (127, in 1930/31)? ARSENAL

Which team has the record for most goals scored by a single player in an English top flight game (Ted Drake – seven goals away at Aston Villa, December 14th 1935)? ARSENAL

Which club holds the record for having the highest number if players in an England starting eleven (seven players, versus Italy in 1934)? ARSENAL

Which club has the highest attendance in English league football (83,260 for a game against Man Utd at Maine Road in 1948)? ARSENAL

Which team has featured in all three of the highest-attendance league games in English football? ARSENAL

Most away points in a top flight English season (47 in 2001/02)? ARSENAL

Most consecutive Champions League matches without conceding a goal (October 18th 2005 to April 26th 2006)? ARSENAL

First team to use numbers on the back of their shirts (1927)? ARSENAL

First team to play a match broadcast live on radio (versus Sheffield United, 1927)? ARSENAL

First team to play in a match broadcast live on TV (versus Arsenal reserves, 1937)? ARSENAL

First team to play a match broadcast live in 3D (versus Man Utd, January 31st 2010)? ARSENAL

There you have it.

The Arsenal is not just a club with history.

It’s a club that writes history, shapes history and makes history.

Others may have their moments in the sun, but only one side has endured in such a way for such a long time.

I look at the supporters of all other teams and feel only pity.

So thank whichever God watches over you (or if you ascribe to the new religion of Dawkinism, thank the mindless tinkering of the blind watchmaker) for one simple fact:

You are lucky enough to have been BORN TO SUPPORT THE ARSENAL.

Last edited by flares_and_an_anorak (Wednesday May 2013 14:43:06)

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: The General Footy Thread

One Wenger's knowledge of the french league was exhausted he started to bottle it in the transfer market and his side was never going to compete.

Buying Giroud & Podolski to replace RVP was a move more in hope than expectation ... neither was going to breach anywhere near 20 league goals for the season.

SimonR

Re: The General Footy Thread

MattBlack wrote:
Mr Boring wrote:
stylustrouble wrote:

To be fair to Arsenal,if it wasn't for Fergie's unstoppable reign then we would be looking at Arsene Wenger as the best/most consistent manager the Premier League has seen by a long way (OK, Mourinho had a quick smash 'n' grab 3 years for Chelsea but I doubt even he could sustain top 4 success over 17 years).

Before Wenger took over Arsenal were a regular mid-table side who occasionally got lucky,so he's not done too badly and achievements aren't always about being the very top dog.

George Graham's team played some shite awful football but to call them lucky is harsh. Six trophies (two of which were league titles) and a charity shield in 9 seasons is no mean feat. George Graham's back four went on to win trophies under Wenger too.

Arsenal were only a mid-table side under Bruce Rioch, although he did sign Dennis Bergkamp so he wasnt all bad

Arsenal didn't get lucky under Bruce Rioch - they didn't win a thing. The lucky comment was definitely aimed at the George Graham era.

....not that I care, I don't like George Graham. Wouldn't be surprised if he was a sex offender.

Re: The General Footy Thread

simonr wrote:

One Wenger's knowledge of the french league was exhausted he started to bottle it in the transfer market and his side was never going to compete.

Buying Giroud & Podolski to replace RVP was a move more in hope than expectation ... neither was going to breach anywhere near 20 league goals for the season.

Arsenal scored just as many as last year. But that's irrelevant.

With or without RVP, Arsenal have fucked up in big games. That's their problem and has been for the better part of a decade.

Re: The General Footy Thread

Mr Boring wrote:

With or without RVP, Arsenal have fucked up in big games. That's their problem and has been for the better part of a decade.


Not this season it wasn't. Chelsea and Arsenal were within 2 defeats of United; City only lost a single game more. Where they all lost the plot was drawing too many games they should have won, and that's down to not scoring enough goals. United had goals from all over the park as well as a stonking contribution from Van Persie, who stayed injury free and hit the ground running. Aguero was injured and largely invisible this season; Torres has scored more goals in Europe than anyone else but not enough in the league, and Ba hasn't settled yet; Arsenal's frontmen all shared out a good contribution but, once again, needed a Van Persie to chip in with 25+ on his own. That's how you win the league, and United have simply outscored crap teams like Southampton and Villa who dared to make them sweat a bit.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1