Re: The General Footy Thread

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
Mr Boring wrote:

With or without RVP, Arsenal have fucked up in big games. That's their problem and has been for the better part of a decade.

Not this season it wasn't.

2 points from 18 against United, City and Chelsea this season.

Apart from a glorious spell when George Best was winning all their big games for them, they've been a footnote in English football. I laugh my tits off when United fans start poncing on about 'history' - their brains are only hardwired, via their arseholes, to understand the last 20 years.

My grandfather always said when he was a kid there was only a couple of teams worth talking about. Shamrock Rovers & Manchester United. To play for Man United was like playing for royalty. That was in the 30's & 50's long before Ferguson and trophies. So explain that then, stato.

"Ban them, ban them alllllllllllllllllllllll" - Homegrove (April-2014)

Leeds are the best side in 'history'.

We were winning fairs cups before you were born.

Last edited by Dermo (Wednesday May 2013 16:47:20)

JFT 39

Even Leeds are bigger than Arsenal.

Cheers mate.

JFT 39

Mr Boring wrote:
Mr Boring wrote:

With or without RVP, Arsenal have fucked up in big games. That's their problem and has been for the better part of a decade.

Not this season it wasn't.

2 points from 18 against United, City and Chelsea this season.

City have done better in those games, but I would not expect them to be playing out 0-0 draws with teams like QPR, Swansea and West Ham and having problems with Southampton. Chelsea also had trouble with the Saints, QPR and Swansea, also Reading. If they want to be up there, Arsenal shouldn't be drawing blanks against shite like Stoke and Sunderland.
I watched United a few times last season when they played like fucking retards but still managed to get the goals to win: Fulham, Southampton, Villa, Reading, Newcastle, Swansea, and Braga in Europe. As for the record against the bigger teams, United lost to Everton, Tottenham, City and Chelsea (three times, including the cup), so aren't exactly coming up roses...they just blew away the lower teams that others struggled to beat. It's all been about goals for United this season, not form. They've scored 4 or more goals in 7 Premier League games this term and don't forget the 4 they put past Chelshit in the Cup. Arsenal could lose to every other team around them, but if they beat all the drivel below it the 27+ wins needed to put them out of sight would be more of a reality...I'd happily lose to Spuds, Manure and Shitty if we could manage that.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

starcreeper wrote:

/quote]My grandfather always said when he was a kid there was only a couple of teams worth talking about. Shamrock Rovers & Manchester United. To play for Man United was like playing for royalty. That was in the 30's & 50's long before Ferguson and trophies. So explain that then, stato.

Your Grandfather was a ropey old cunt?

starcreeper wrote:

/quote]My grandfather always said when he was a kid there was only a couple of teams worth talking about. Shamrock Rovers & Manchester United. To play for Man United was like playing for royalty. That was in the 30's & 50's long before Ferguson and trophies. So explain that then, stato.

Your Grandfather was a ropey old cunt?

Played at a high level in the mud and hob nail boots. Knows his onions.

Chelshit, Spuds, Shitty, Man Ure. !!! Is there one for Liverpool and Arsenal?

JFT 39

Yant wrote:

Bale situation is nothing to worry about (news from the club to come soon on that).

They need to make a couple of big signings for him to commit. This has been his best season yet but he needs to do it again next year and up his game too to be considered in the same bracket as the worlds best for me. Thats why I think he should stay at Spurs. He needs to prove it next season.

He needs to prove himself at a big club though. Like Cantona did at Leeds.

JFT 39

Yep. Needs to stretch his legs with the best, week in, week out. If they can get Villa and someone else you could see him staying though. Then if he has another 15-20 goal season he'll be worth the crazy sums Matt Black, Strudders & Jamie Redknapp are coming up with.

Last edited by starcreeper (Wednesday May 2013 17:26:18)

I've come to realise that Wiggy wasn't the worst.

RIP Brian Greenhoff.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1151843/thumbs/o-BRIAN-GREENHOFF-570.jpg

Fuck me, for someone that isn't bothered about winning, Flares is a right tiresome cunt about it.

Charity Shields.  Fuck me.

Arsenal's problem is that they haven't had a captain since Viera.

'Boring boring Arsenal'

starcreeper wrote:

They need to make a couple of big signings for him to commit.

Nope.

Arsenal's Wiki entry states that we would come out on top of the aggregate league of the 20th century, and for a history lesson about the club that straddles English football like a fucking giant, I really couldn't put it any better than this guy:

Proof That Arsenal Are The Greatest Club The World Has Ever Seen
Form, as they say, is temporary. Class is permanent.

According to the form books, Barcelona are pretty good at the moment. And Chelsea have had a decent run over the last few years. Manchester United have had a great 20 years and we all know about the Liverpool heyday in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

But if you want a team and a club that has exuded pure, unadulterated class for its entire history then there’s only one: The Arsenal.

And here’s why:

Which team has spent the most consecutive seasons in the English top flight (90 years and counting)? ARSENAL

Which team holds the longest unbeaten sequence in the English top flight (49 games, from May 7th 2003 to October 16th 2004)? ARSENAL

Which team has the longest unbeaten away sequence in English league football (27 games, April 5th 2003 to September 25th 2004)? ARSENAL

Which team has the longest consecutive scoring run in league games in England (55 games from May 19th 2001 to November 30th 2002)? ARSENAL

Who scored the most away goals in an English league season (60 goals in 1930/31)? ARSENAL

Which team has scored the most goals in an English league season (127, in 1930/31)? ARSENAL

Which team has the record for most goals scored by a single player in an English top flight game (Ted Drake – seven goals away at Aston Villa, December 14th 1935)? ARSENAL

Which club holds the record for having the highest number if players in an England starting eleven (seven players, versus Italy in 1934)? ARSENAL

Which club has the highest attendance in English league football (83,260 for a game against Man Utd at Maine Road in 1948)? ARSENAL

Which team has featured in all three of the highest-attendance league games in English football? ARSENAL

Most away points in a top flight English season (47 in 2001/02)? ARSENAL

Most consecutive Champions League matches without conceding a goal (October 18th 2005 to April 26th 2006)? ARSENAL

First team to use numbers on the back of their shirts (1927)? ARSENAL

First team to play a match broadcast live on radio (versus Sheffield United, 1927)? ARSENAL

First team to play in a match broadcast live on TV (versus Arsenal reserves, 1937)? ARSENAL

First team to play a match broadcast live in 3D (versus Man Utd, January 31st 2010)? ARSENAL

There you have it.

The Arsenal is not just a club with history.

It’s a club that writes history, shapes history and makes history.

Others may have their moments in the sun, but only one side has endured in such a way for such a long time.

I look at the supporters of all other teams and feel only pity.

So thank whichever God watches over you (or if you ascribe to the new religion of Dawkinism, thank the mindless tinkering of the blind watchmaker) for one simple fact:

You are lucky enough to have been BORN TO SUPPORT THE ARSENAL.

...boring boring Gooners.

The boozers on Holloway Road are full of Reebok-ed mongs supping Fosters-top and spraying shite like that over anyone who'll listen

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

I'd like to see Bale at the bridge though not sure he'd get in the side week in week out.

Dermo wrote:

Chelshit, Spuds, Shitty, Man Ure. !!! Is there one for Liverpool and Arsenal?

Obviously Liverpool are the Dippers. How about Farcenal?

ARSE-nal.

LOL!

草泥马

Grant wrote:

Fuck me, for someone that isn't bothered about winning, Flares is a right tiresome cunt about it.

Charity Shields.  Fuck me.

I couldn't give a stuff about 'em, but certain other tiresome cunts on here like to factor them in to a certain trophy haul when it suits them. Small cock syndrome I guess.

Big Fella wrote:

'Boring boring Arsenal'

Terrible comeback. Must do better.

Unbroken1 wrote:

...boring boring Gooners.

The boozers on Holloway Road are full of Reebok-ed mongs supping Fosters-top and spraying shite like that over anyone who'll listen

And I'm sure you've stood right in the middle of said pubs and shouted 'boring boring Gooners' at the top of your voice, rather than come on here and do it from the safety of your Mum's basement.