Re: The General Footy Thread

Want a wee go off my shinebox Dave?

Last edited by seanc80 (Wednesday Jul 2013 15:18:57)

Competence is such an exotic bird in these woods that I appreciate it whenever I see it.

starcreeper wrote:
Beijing Dave wrote:

Fulham did very nicely in the UEFA Cup with a limited squad of players and still held up in the league under Hodgson.

And what about Boro's romp to the final a few years ago under McClaren?

How is that a fair comparison? Its like saying, Brazil beat Spain. England drew with Brazil. That makes England better than Spain.

Not sure I get your point here, Creeps.

The point made was that Everton needn't be doing well in Europe when they have such a limited squad of players. My counterpoint was that Fulham managed it at the same time as not neglecting the league.

草泥马

Hardly blind. I always found going to Everton was one of Utds tougher games for the way Moyes prepared his players.

Even the most biased ABU out there must be intrigued to see what he will do with a wallet of cash and a star studded squad.

*deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath*  "One game at a time lads" - Strudders (Mar,Apr,May 2014)

Beijing Dave wrote:

The point made was that Everton needn't be doing well in Europe when they have such a limited squad of players. My counterpoint was that Fulham managed it at the same time as not neglecting the league.

Comparing results like that isnt very clever, Dave. Fulhams & Boros circumstances are different to Everton and vice versa.

If anything it just goes to show what a fantastic job Hodgson did with Fulham that year and yet most Pool fans thought he was clueless.

Last edited by starcreeper (Wednesday Jul 2013 15:25:15)

*deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath*  "One game at a time lads" - Strudders (Mar,Apr,May 2014)

starcreeper wrote:
Beijing Dave wrote:

Comparing results like that isnt very clever, Dave. Fulhams & Boros circumstances are different to Everton and vice versa.

How so? I think it's a reasonable comparison to make.

Clubs in similar circumstances playing in the UEFA Cup.

草泥马

I cant see Moyes having a 'Hodgson' either unfortunately.

Competence is such an exotic bird in these woods that I appreciate it whenever I see it.

Hodgson IS clueless.

Even though that admittedly utterly negates my argument.

草泥马

Beijing Dave wrote:

Its a fairly blase, off the cuff remark. Theres no way both teams were in the same circumstances when they played their respective games.

starcreeper wrote:
Beijing Dave wrote:

Its a fairly blase, off the cuff remark. Theres no way both teams were in the same circumstances when they played their respective games.

Okay, of course not.

But then why do we even bother making comparisons? How can, say, Pele and Maradona be compared when they played different games against different opposition under different circumstances? How does Margaret Thatcher compare with Clement Attlee? How can the Greek Empire be compared with the Roman Empire? But we still do it, it is a worthwhile exercise in some respects.

草泥马

I hear ya chief. Sounds like youre moving into personal preference territory though.

Maradona won a WC singlehandedly, just about. Messi flopped at his recent outing. Imagine Fulham are Diego and Messi is Everton.

Fuck this, Im going to the pub.

starcreeper wrote:

Hardly blind. I always found going to Everton was one of Utds tougher games for the way Moyes prepared his players.

Even the most biased ABU out there must be intrigued to see what he will do with a wallet of cash and a star studded squad.

Surely Utd got Moyes because they'd be confident rather than intrigued in how he'd spend. Lots of questions at the mo for Utd fans.

In terms of Dave's comments - Hodgson was an abomination and completely clueless, plus he played abhorrent football. Moyes has played some good football at Everton and bought some good players. Moyes stands a better chance of stepping up when given more money than usual.

European football still needs a big degree of tactical nouse, something that Moyes has been found wanting in - lets face it, he's hardly a great tactician, but he did build a decent squad.

The fear for United fans should be that the belief Fergie gave his teams evaporates and other teams start to see them as fallible. Fergie could always manage a 1-0 win with an o/g at Sunderland when playing poorly. Will Moyes be able to clock up the same 3 points ? Plus will Moyes build a squad aimed at Europe of the Prem ?

Time will tell.

SimonR

Beijing Dave wrote:

I reckon he doesn't know what he's doing when he comes up against even a Villareal or a Udinese, let alone Barcelona or Borussia Dortmund.

Is that a reference to that one season Everton claimed the fourth spot? If so, that's a tad unfair; Villarreal got the semis that year and knocked out Utd en route.

Moyes hasn't got the experience of managing a massive club so there's nothing to suggest he will be a success or a failure. You just have to wait and see. Boring but true.

Van Ginkel in the bag -

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/a … van-ginkel

I understand they have to drive the price up but Martinez is on the gear...

I think Leighton is more than a player, he is an icon

Jim Leighton was an icon, mate.

smallman1 wrote:

Van Ginkel in the bag -

You guys defo need another MF, Ed.

I see Lurch has gone from Everton to coach at United. Anyone got any idea how much he would be on for a job like that?

Part of the problem

Yant wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

Van Ginkel in the bag -

You guys defo need another MF, Ed.

Thanks for the feedback Jose.

Cascarino & Gallagher making berks of themselves.

Thank God for Chelsea putting English football on the map, eh Kirsty.

Last edited by Big Fella (Thursday Jul 2013 06:01:42)

In the spirit of Wimbledon, I'm christening it.... Gallagher's Gee.

So Fergie has replaced himself with Moyes, got rid of the back room staff and replaced them with two coaches with zero experience. Hope the auld fella knows what he's doing.

Tony The Testicle.

simonr wrote:
starcreeper wrote:

Surely Utd got Moyes because they'd be confident rather than intrigued in how he'd spend. Lots of questions at the mo for Utd fans.

I wasnt talking about Utd, Barry. I was talking about ABUs. As is clearly written in my post.

LO fucking L

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne … senal-link

Part of the problem

Bring it on. Suarez and Higuain up front would be destroyers. Watch and learn faggits.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

It would be the lamest most desparate signing ever.

Part of the problem