Re: The General Footy Thread

Glad Jose's finally seeing sense with Mata.

And Torres should have no complaints about his sending off, he led with his elbow and shouldn't have even been on the pitch at that stage.

Arsenal don't have the squad for the title.

DAVID MOYES broke up a winning team when he got rid of Alex Ferguson’s backroom boys.

Former goalkeeping coach Eric Steele was gutted the new Manchester United chief disposed of him, assistant boss Mike Phelan and first-team coach Rene Meulensteen.

Ferguson advised against it — but Moyes wanted his own men.

Now he has presided over United’s worst start to a season for 24 years after three defeats and a draw in the opening six Premier League games.

Steele, 59, said: “He spoke to me, Mick and Rene. I told him I thought it was a brave decision.

“He listened to the manager’s advice but he wanted to be his own man.”

Steele said he was desperate to stay and clearly believes it was a mistake to dispense of all three of Ferguson’s trusted backroom staff.

He added: “I didn’t want to leave. Why would I? I knew that David was coming in and wondered who he’d bring.

“You had the United perspective — the manager saying, ‘Keep what we’ve got, keep the continuity, work with them and they’ll guide you through. You’re taking on a massive machine here. You’ve gone from Marks and Spencer’s to Harrods.’

“Then there’s David’s viewpoint, which I understand. I know him professionally. I know his work ethic, his hands-on approach.

“I don’t blame him for doing what he did. I’ve been in the game long enough to know how it is.

“But it’s ironic, isn’t it? You’ve just been part of a team that has had a great season and won the league. David De Gea’s had his best season. Does it make sense that you’re not retained to continue the good work? Sadly, that’s out of my hands.”

It was not just the manager and his staff going but Paul Scholes was also retiring — for good this time — and chief executive David Gill stepped aside.

In an interview with fanzine United We Stand, Steele said: “There were massive changes — the manager, chief executive, Scholes retiring and the coaches.

“But there are enough players in that dressing room to win when it really starts.

“My time was up, I’m proud of what I did at United and I have great memories.”

Steele, who spent five years at Old Trafford, went from United to helping out old friend Graham Turner at Shrewsbury.

Phelan has started doing a small amount of media work, while Meulensteen was quite bitter about his treatment.

He had a conversation with Moyes about staying on. But he quickly realised it was not workable as Moyes’ plan was for the Dutchman to operate more with the youth and reserve set-up than first team.

In the end, he had a protracted wrangle with the club about his pay-off.

Meulensteen has since had a short spell in charge of Anzhi Makhachkala in Russia but they could no longer afford to keep him.

He has most recently been linked with the Sunderland job.

Moyes brought in his team from Everton — Steve Round, Jimmy Lumsden and Chris Woods.

He also gave coaching positions to both Phil Neville and Ryan Giggs to help with the United continuity factor.

But Giggs, 39, is still a player while, for Neville, 36, it is his first coaching post since hanging up his boots at the end of last season.

So far this season, United have struggled.

They lost 1-0 at Liverpool, were thumped 4-1 in the Manchester derby and, on Saturday, were beaten 2-1 by West Brom at Old Trafford.

Three league defeats and a draw in the opening six matches marks not only United’s worst start to a season in 24 years but the worst start of any defending champions since Blackburn in 1995.

It was always going to be a tough ask following Ferguson.

But the legendary Old Trafford chief was not immune to criticism when he was in charge — from his grandchildren.

Steele revealed: “It was great when he used to bring his grandkids in — his office was like playschool.

“They’d tell him off and ask him why he was playing certain players, ‘Why are you playing Nani, grandad? He’s rubbish’!

“He’d start laughing as they slaughtered his decisions.”

The final decision, of course, was to anoint Moyes as his successor.

Steele clearly believes it is just a shame he could not still be there to help him.

I love the comment by Fergies grandkids, maybe they should have been put in charge instead of Moyes

So getting rid of a goalkeeping coach is the reason for their bad start? LOL
What complete ducking bollox all that is.

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:

Before today's games I asked if anyone thought Arsenal could win the league and after watching the evidence so far I've got them as my favourites to do so.

I think United fans are being unrealistic blaming Moyes, its not his fault the club didn't buy players. Its not his fault Fergie had been squeezing the longevity of a lot of players and left a legacy of players that only he was capable of getting results out of.

No manager, no matter how good he was perceived to be prior to taking the job would be getting results out of this side imo. Its weak as piss in lots of places. All this 'Moyes isn't good enough for United' is utter bollox. The side isn't good enough for United and the expectations they have.

Until Moyes gets the chance to buy a decent midfield of world class players and get rid of dinosaurs like Judas in defence ( lol at how he got scuppered by Berahino today by the way) and not good enough's like Cleverly, Anderson & Young and seemingly kagawa, you'll not see what, if anything, he's capable of as a manager. Valencia isn't world class either. I mean look at the fucking state of Anderson wobbling around haha. Embarrassing really. That's not Moyes fault he's still there either.

United's (as the biggest club in the world? ) midfield should have been made to look something like and including these kind of players -

Bale, Ozil , Modric, Mata, Toure etc etc

Because that's exactly the standard of other midfield's of main contenders in the world. Instead it looks like what it did today which is the aftermath of another manager who spent very little in that area.

agree with this but you cannot underestimate the 'Fergie factor' imo - and gollum is not anywhere near the same league

Dermo wrote:

City and Chelsea however have got absolutely no fucking excuses at all.

Chelsea looked better under Rafa last season - certainly better going forward - Mourinho doesn't seem to know what's the best way to set Chelsea up

City should have been out of sight in the 1st half - and if Aguero had been there to finish off the chances created it would have been game over

fully expect Bayern to tear them a new one in the CL this week

check out my hearthis.at page

i'm too old for this shit

Dermo wrote:

So getting rid of a goalkeeping coach is the reason for their bad start? LOL
What complete ducking bollox all that is.

Its not just the goalkeeping coach, he got rid of 3 key members of their backroom staff and brought in Giggs and Neville who both have no coaching experience whatsoever, was bound to have an impact

You could have kept all of them and brought Klopp, Hiddink, Mourinho or Pep in and they'd still be in the same position with that team. Fergie is the only person capable of getting results with that side.

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:

You could have kept all of them and brought Klopp, Hiddink, Mourinho or Pep in and they'd still be in the same position with that team. Fergie is the only person capable of getting results with that side.

was the same last season - there were massive flaws (highlighted by falling short in the CL) but Fergie manged to get the results required

can not see that happening this season

check out my hearthis.at page

i'm too old for this shit

Dermo wrote:

Possibly but i think they would have stood a much better chance than they do now

Should have kept hold of Meulensteen.

From what I've read he's a great coach.

Dermo wrote:

Until Moyes gets the chance to buy a decent midfield of world class players and get rid of dinosaurs like Judas in defence ( lol at how he got scuppered by Berahino today by the way) and not good enough's like Cleverly, Anderson & Young and seemingly kagawa, you'll not see what, if anything, he's capable of as a manager. Valencia isn't world class either. I mean look at the fucking state of Anderson wobbling around haha. Embarrassing really. That's not Moyes fault he's still there either.

United's (as the biggest club in the world? ) midfield should have been made to look something like and including these kind of players -

Bale, Ozil , Modric, Mata, Toure etc etc

Because that's exactly the standard of other midfield's of main contenders in the world. Instead it looks like what it did today which is the aftermath of another manager who spent very little in that area.

Fergie got badly burnt in that department with the Veron experiment. Ever since then, he tried (fairly successfully) to fit square pegs in round holes. If anyone read Alan Hansen's comparison piece here; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/column … emise.html - he draws on his time at Liverpool where they didn't replace good players with better players. Fergie never could replace Scholes, and still used Giggs despite both players being the wrong side of 35.

The likes of Cleverly and Carrick are clearly not good enough to be in the centre of the park for United. As currently is Fellani. So far, Fellani looks like a great player in an average team, but an average player at United. This, over time, could change and he could come good. But, exactly how long has he got?

Will the Glazers back Moyes with the cash he needs to rebuild the team?

As for Arsenal's start? I've currently got a nosebleed. It wont last. It'd be nice if it does, of course. If we're still in the hunt come January I'd like to see AW spend some money to strengthen us further to push us on. Yes, we've not played anyone of note so far. But, we're in a nice habit at the moment. Especially, considering the players out injured. AW has a nice problem to solve when Podolski, Carzola, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlan are fit again. And, when Diaby's fit it'd be like a new signing!!!!

Last edited by Dan Harwood (Monday Sep 2013 06:38:51)

Prog God

Nice to see Aaron Ramsey doing so well, big fucking two fingers to the Arsenal Boo Boys.

Very much so. He is exceeding all expectations and as you say, nice to see him showing his talent on the pitch. What better place to answer your critics.

Prog God

Is Diaby ever fit?

MattBlack wrote:

Is Diaby ever fit?

manages about 6 games a season on average.... always thrown in from the start when not 100% too which hasn't helped him

Mourinho must be really kicking himself now for loaning out Lukaku, the special one seems to be turning into the stupid one

English club football has been declining, when weighed against the best of Europe, for a five or six years know - since we provided 3 of the 4 Champions League semi final teams (two years on the trot?), whenever that was...

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the English teams get beyond the quarter finals again this year.

We're told our domestic league is 'the best in the world' - it isn't.  It might be very competitive but that shouldn't be confused with overall quality.  Our relegation sides can (increasingly) compete with our top sides - but that's not because our relegation sides have improved - it's because our best sides are not what they were a few years back.

Three of our top four clubs have got new managers at their respective helms - when was the last time that ever happened?  It'll take time for each club to settle into themselves - but those three clubs will still all finish in the top five this season - plus ça change eh?

smashdad wrote:

English club football has been declining, when weighed against the best of Europe, for a five or six years know - since we provided 3 of the 4 Champions League semi final teams (two years on the trot?), whenever that was...

I wouldn't be surprised if none of the English teams get beyond the quarter finals again this year.

We're told our domestic league is 'the best in the world' - it isn't.  It might be very competitive but that shouldn't be confused with overall quality.  Our relegation sides can (increasingly) compete with our top sides - but that's not because our relegation sides have improved - it's because our best sides are not what they were a few years back.

Three of our top four clubs have got new managers at their respective helms - when was the last time that ever happened?  It'll take time for each club to settle into themselves - but those three clubs will still all finish in the top five this season - plus ça change eh?

I'd say that, attacking wise, City's squad is as strong as many in Europe .. but they are error prone and have failed to buy another dominant defender.

Arsenal will progress until their defence and mental strength gets found out later on.

Can't work out what the hell Mourinho is doing in terms of utilising his squad and weakening it with the loan deals. Very unspecial, will need to grind out results.

United have placed too much reliance on RVP and look ordinary when he isn't there ... good first CL result though.

SimonR

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matc … table.html

Just add Nottm Forest and Sheff Wed and you've got a Div One table straight out of the Eighties.

Give it 10 games and things will start to look sensible again.

simonr wrote:

Arsenal will progress until their defence and mental strength gets found out later on

Oh. My. God.

Firstly, and I hate flogging a dead horse, but Arsenal's defensive record last season was second only to City, and they're not exactly shipping goals this time around either. As for mental strength, that team dragged themselves from certain oblivion and back into the Champions League when every man and his dog was laughing at how they'd fucked it. Despite having a plethora of first team players currently injured they are defying the odds to be top - if none of that qualifies as exhibiting mental strength then I don't know what does. Most 'big club' fans don't want Arsenal to win the Premier League because it will make them look like chumps for spending hundreds of millions in order to do it whilst the Gunners have spent very little, although in LOLerpool's case they've spent that and not won it. Ever.

Piss stains.

Last edited by flares_and_an_anorak (Monday Sep 2013 14:56:40)

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
simonr wrote:

Arsenal will progress until their defence and mental strength gets found out later on

Oh. My. God.

Firstly, and I hate flogging a dead horse, but Arsenal's defensive record last season was second only to City, and they're not exactly shipping goals this time around either. As for mental strength, that team dragged themselves from certain oblivion and back into the Champions League when every man and his dog was laughing at how they'd fucked it. Despite having a plethora of first team players currently injured they are defying the odds to be top - if none of that qualifies as exhibiting mental strength then I don't know what does. Most 'big club' fans don't want Arsenal to win the Premier League because it will make them look like chumps for spending hundreds of millions in order to do it whilst the Gunners have spent very little, although in LoLerpool's case they've spent that and not won it. Ever.

Piss stains.

Agreed

Time will tell chaps.

SimonR

Arsenal and Liverpool fighting? 

I don't think the internet existed last time your two clubs were duking it out with each other.

Six games without Fergie and the world goes mad.

Last edited by Mr Boring (Monday Sep 2013 15:04:23)

Forza Everton

Mr Boring wrote:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matc … table.html

Just add Nottm Forest and Sheff Wed and you've got a Div One table straight out of the Eighties.

Give it 10 games and things will start to look sensible again.

Sensible / Boring.

Give me a table from the eighties any day. Loving this season so far.

As for Arsenal, I'd say they are the team most likely to progress in the CL. They need to sign another striker in January though.

Chelsea shouldn't have got rid of Rafa. That's not the first time I've said that. Probably won't be the last either.

Presto wrote:

Chelsea shouldn't have got rid of Rafa..

or their best striker. still baffles me why he was loaned out again after last season

When I play......no dog barks!!!!