Re: The General Footy Thread

Big Fella wrote:

We are fucked if we dont beat West Brom on Sat, think it will be a draw myself.

Why will you be fucked? West Brom are going to take points of a few more big names this season imo.

Fucked as in winning the league Wiggy, not something you should bother yourself with.

You're alright BF, I'm not bothered with United winning the league in the slightest.

Lots of twists and turns to come.

Too early to rule anyone out, apart from Liverpool.

Speaking of Liverpool, looks like the takeover has been completed, but the two cowboys still want 1.6 Billion(!) in damages

It appears we wont be getting the 9 point reduction, which is handy, considering our current predicament.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal … 094283.stm

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/830/hcnjcdfkjncv.jpg

Thats power!

Loving all the pleb supporters who travelled down for the court case. Nothing better to do? Really?

the 'epic swindle' bollocks still being rolled out by Hicks on SSN tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAoEx9IsKuA&sns=em

check out my hearthis.at page

i'm too old for this shit

Must be the first time ever that Scousers have been happy to be in court

What I find amusing is the amount of trust the new owners have already gained. Its amazing what some PR can do.

*deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath*  "One game at a time lads" - Strudders (Mar,Apr,May 2014)

starcreeper wrote:

What I find amusing is the amount of trust the new owners have already gained. Its amazing what some PR can do.

they have paid off RBS and prevented us going into administration

also the Red Sox aren't run by being leveraged up to their eyes in debt

it's VERY early days but it looks promising imo

starcreeper wrote:

Or how naive the scousers can be. You'd think the term "once bitten, twice shy" would apply. Although anybody would be painted in a better light than Gillett and Hicks.

shaunstrudwick wrote:
starcreeper wrote:

they have paid off RBS and prevented us going into administration

also the Red Sox aren't run by being leveraged up to their eyes in debt

it's VERY early days but it looks promising imo

Yeah but Shaun success in the US is on a completely different gauge compared to success in the UK, or Europe. American clubs are run very very differently and just cos a team has success in the US (Where they are pretty closed off to rest-of-world competitions) does not mean that will transfer to England.

Last edited by Presto (Friday Oct 2010 16:59:18)

Henry is not an LBO merchant

of course he us only interested in making money - but with overheads being dramatically reduced we will turn  a true profit for the first time in 3 years

no one is expecting massive amounts if cash to be made available for players but a new striker to play with Torres would deffo get the fans onside

BUT the long term is still to get Anfield redeveloped or a new stadium built to increase revenue - that should be Henry's no.1 priority

simonpreston wrote:

Yeah but Shaun success in the US is on a completely different gauge compared to success in the UK, or Europe. American clubs are run very very differently and just cos a team has success in the US (Where they are pretty closed off to rest-of-world competitions) does not mean that will transfer to England.

of course it would be nice to win a trophy - but the main thing is to have a successful business model in place going forwatd

secure financials should enable the new stadium to be built and that is what the club needs to be working towards asap

i don't think we will break back into the top 4 for a while yet and it would be foolish to expect our fortunes on the pitch to massively change with Hodgson still at the helm imo

shaunstrudwick wrote:

Henry is not an LBO merchant

of course he us only interested in making money - but with overheads being dramatically reduced we will turn  a true profit for the first time in 3 years

no one is expecting massive amounts if cash to be made available for players but a new striker to play with Torres would deffo get the fans onside

BUT the long term is still to get Anfield redeveloped or a new stadium built to increase revenue - that should be Henry's no.1 priority

I agree Shaun. The quicker people forget about the Red sox situation the better though. Different industry and environment completely. I reckon the whole club and the fans concerned should be very skeptical of anything thats said or promised until things are completely changed rather than welcoming them so enthusiastically. People forget its a gamble for NESV too.

*deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath*  "One game at a time lads" - Strudders (Mar,Apr,May 2014)

i am skeptical... but also hopeful that Broughton has done his homework correctly

Boos ringing out at Old Trafford - Van Der Sar looks like he couldn't catch a cold & Rooney benched after falling out with Fergie. Will the £80m losses make this a cold winter of discontent ?

There could be a new sideshow in town.

SimonR

simonr wrote:

Comparing a sub par display to Liverpool's situation seems somewhat inbalanced. Besides, Fergie's always made it clear that no man is bigger than the team.

And in Villa news: Really enjoyed the game against Chelsea. Both teams played with pace, fluidity and it hardly let up at all. An enjoyable stalemate (gasp!).
Great to see most the media reporting it as an under performing Chelsea though... as per. Doh.

Last edited by Presto (Saturday Oct 2010 15:02:12)

Simon - did Albrighton feature today?

Out with an injury at the mo. Got quite a few out at the mo. Dunne also had to be replaced in 13mins. Eeek!

simonpreston wrote:
simonr wrote:

Comparing a sub par display to Liverpool's situation seems somewhat inbalanced. Besides, Fergie's always made it clear that no man is bigger than the team.

It's a symptom .. there will be more to follow - expect an escalation in said sub-par displays.

Hanson's quote that United need Rooney more than Rooney needs them was interesting.

SimonR

However, can't take anything away from the Baggies. To come back from 2-0 down at OT is no mean feat and they deserve a lot more credit than it merely being a poor Man Utd performance.