Re: The General Footy Thread

ryangibson wrote:

It is pretty much where pro's who previously played in one of the worlds top domestic league's go to see out the latter stages of their careers for the maximum amount of $$$ possible. When you have players like Thierry Henry, Robbie Keane and Tim Cahill still earning between £2 - 3 million a year, then can you really blame them?

The standard of the MLS is dreadful, pretty much on the same level as English League 2. After watching a couple of games live in Houston over the past few months, you really do get a feel for how slow and poor the 1st touch is of the majority of players.

I don't entirely disagree with your sentiments, someone like Defoe is still producing, as well as having a good chance of being on the English World Cup squad.  Bradley was playing for AC Roma before being signed and is only 26 and is arguably in the prime of his career.  He could have easily moved to the Premiership and Defoe certainly could have stayed as well.

When you see teams like Seattle pulling in 40,000 regularly, it can only go up from here.  Portland vs. Seattle is shaping to be one of the best rivalry games out there. 

These signings to me represent an effort to draw in better quality players who don't fit the mould to which you're speaking.  TFC's ownership, MLSE, have very deep pockets.  Part of the deal of signing Defoe was to develop a partnership with Tottenham so that they play friendlies together, develop players together through their respective academies and also Tottenham get to sell their merch as well at the BMO Field in Toronto.  A similar deal was cut with Roma in signing Bradley. The game is maturing in North America and has come a long way from since the league's inception.  It's not uncommon to see players being sold to the top European leagues and I think you're going to see more of them coming back this way too.  The league is also starting to see more and more young players from European clubs being sent out on loan, or players who have had some success in the better leagues but still need some fine-tuning.

Obviously it's not the English Premier League, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A or the Eredivisie, but I think the quality of play is only getting better.  The one drawback that I think will need changing at some point in the future is capping the number of teams and setting up a promotion and relegation system - which is hard to do when you have a franchise system.  If/when that is enforced, I think the quality will only go up even more.  By all standards, Toronto FC should be playing in the doldrums of the Canadian league system, but since they're franchised there's no drawback to finishing last consistently for 7 years other than loss of fan interest and lack of revenue as a result.  Hopefully these signings signal a change.

Last edited by loopdokter (Tuesday Jan 2014 09:29:49)

pube85 wrote:

Sixth most scoring player.......christ on a bike.

Fine, I'll bite.  How would you phrase it?  Talk about semantics.

..let's see if sixth most scoringest can translate into most winningest where it counts, on the soccerballpark

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

loopdokter wrote:
pube85 wrote:

Dont confuse semantics with right & wrong Looper.

Who was the 5th then?

Unbroken1 wrote:

..let's see if sixth most scoringest can translate into most winningest where it counts, on the soccerballpark

Soccerballpark?!  C'mon.  It's not called that.  It's called the soccer rink.  Don't you know anything about soccerball?!  The game sucks anyway.  The score isn't three trillion to a half billion with extremely loud and in your face announcers and flashy graphics.  So borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

Last edited by loopdokter (Tuesday Jan 2014 11:03:45)

Thought Becks was buying a franchise in MLS.Miami Goldenballs I heard

loopdokter wrote:
pube85 wrote:

'Sixth highest scoring', Loops.

smashdad wrote:

'Sixth highest scoring', Loops.

Fair enough.  I forgot this was the football thread and everyone in here is particularly touchy and out for blood.

My point was he can score.

fadass wrote:

Do you want an egg with that waffle?

Yeah, can I have the one all over Moyes' face?

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
fadass wrote:

Do you want an egg with that waffle?

Yeah, can I have the one all over Moyes' face?

The one MI5 put there?

MI5 gave Moyes a new face? Who's underneath there really then?

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

MI5 gave Moyes a new face? Who's underneath there really then?

They didn't give him a new face.  Silly.  They planted the egg that you currently perceive as being on the only face he's ever had.

Or did they...

Last edited by smashdad (Tuesday Jan 2014 12:59:34)

Bobby Collins is dead.

He played in the same side as my Great Uncle Neil.

loopdokter wrote:

merch

LOL

草泥马

Good moves from AC Milan, Seedorf is a legend.

Portland v Seattle sounds like a cracker tbf.

Loopy and rhouses in a thread about football is fucking criminal.

Shut up you pair of dribbling fucking spastics.

Part of the problem

Can we get the pair of them banned from The General Footy Thread?

Come on lads, don't bunch me in with Loopy. I don't even know what Canadian football is.

loopdokter wrote:
Unbroken1 wrote:

Soccerballpark?!  C'mon.  It's not called that.  It's called the soccer rink.  Don't you know anything about soccerball?!  The game sucks anyway.  The score isn't three trillion to a half billion with extremely loud and in your face announcers and flashy graphics.  So borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

..don't get me wrong, Defoe could be a real success with the To-ron-to FC franchise, once unleashed from the sub-shack he has the ability to rip apart the dee-fense and terrify goaltenders, he's a real chipmunk in the danger-box zone, inserting goalshots all over the place (just don't expect him to make many deposession goal slides)

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Must admit I did enjoy Soccer AM ten years ago, one episode I think.

Big Fella wrote:

Must admit I did enjoy Soccer AM ten years ago, one episode I think.

Helen Chamberlin is pure filth, even if she does look a bit of an old brasser these days

Makes sense really

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeB2Lm_CQAA7pGj.jpg