Re: The General Footy Thread

Proud of the team performance, defended like beasts and kept Bayern to pinging the ball left to right outside the box all night. Two moments of class though - Kroos goal sublime. Pity about the second, a 0-1 would have been a missed opportunity for the Germans and a massive 'game on' for the second leg.

I'm more concerned about the obvious tired legs for the match that really matters: Sunderland this weekend. Hope this effort hasn't drained the lads too much to take a vital three points.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Thought it was a good interview from Mertesacker at the end Flaresy - liked his attitude and belief.

SimonR

Indeed. This is the type of attitude the team has been short of in recent years. Flamini also...did you see him bawling out Ozil? There's a serious problem there, I don't think his attitude is right, although he looked well up for it in the first half hour. Ballack observed that he isn't being accepted by the team - no surprise if everyone's working their bollocks off for each other and one 'marquee' player isn't tracking back and pulling his weight.

Last edited by flares_and_an_anorak (Wednesday Feb 2014 15:16:51)

Damn those referees applying the rules and ruining matches. It's a disgrace.

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Flamini also...did you see him bawling out Ozil? There's a serious problem there, I don't think his attitude is right, although he looked well up for it in the first half hour. Ballack observed that he isn't being accepted by the team - no surprise if everyone's working their bollocks off for each other and one 'marquee' player isn't tracking back and pulling his weight.

Yeh ... good point made by Ballack. I'm sure players consider that big names are on more money than them and need to earn it, as well as earn the right to be in the team by working hard and giving their all.

SimonR

The trip on Muller by Koscielny was as stone-wall a penalty as I've ever seen in my life. 5 yards from the chump on the line and it wasn't given. Robben goes airborne on a head height ball and it's called a 'clear goalscoring opportunity' which apparently deserves a red. Nobody should question it was a peno, but the card was harsh, therefore the question yet again comes down to the lack of consistency.

What good are any rules if they're not applied as equally well today as they were yesterday or the same time last year?

Wenger's an awful moaning cunt. Always someone else's fault. He should be managing Liverpool.

The trip on Muller by Koscielny was as stone-wall a penalty as I've ever seen in my life. 5 yards from the chump on the line and it wasn't given. Robben goes airborne on a head height ball and it's called a 'clear goalscoring opportunity' which apparently deserves a red. Nobody should question it was a peno, but the card was harsh, therefore the question yet again comes down to the lack of consistency.

What good are any rules if they're not applied as equally well today as they were yesterday or the same time last year?

How was that not a clear goalscoring opportunity? Is myopia a must if you follow Arsenal? It's not a lack of consistency: it's called having a fucking dopey goalkeeper. Stop listening to the wank that defeated managers spout and actually watch it for yourself. Pelligrini slaughtered the ref yet somehow forgot to mention the "offside" for Pique's goal?
Jamies Carragher wants the rules to be changed: if Arsenal had availed of the incident everything would be tickety boo.

La Nausee wrote:

How was that not a clear goalscoring opportunity?

May I answer that with a question of my own...if the ball is six feet off the ground and you have to stick your leg up near your shoulder to get a toe on it, with a keeper in your way, how the fuck is that a definitive chance to score? It just means a loose ball is in front of the goal and so are you, which might as well include the other 20 players for all the control Robben had over that football when it bounced over his head. The only myopic bonehead is you.

Jamie Redknapp Disease (prolapsed noun): The intrinsic ability to talk absolute hot, smelting bollocks during analysis of football incidents, often based on an irrational hatred of Arsenal Football Club. (see: Souness, Graeme)

It's another example of a player falling over with the slightest contact, which might I add, was exactly how Ozil 'won' the penalty for Arsenal. It's called gamesmanship...not pretty, not clever, but standard in the modern era. Doesn't make it right though.

just finished watching it. Player of the match Philipp Lahm. What a player.
Ozil? Not interested at all in playing for Arsenal. I think the whole signing was a mistake for him and he's realised and his heart isn't in it.

kept Bayern to pinging the ball left to right outside the box all night.

That's otherwise known as being pinned back. Something Barca did to everyone under pep.

Part of the problem

Chelsea will step up next week and do the country proud worry not.

That's a juxtaposition if I ever saw one.

Last edited by dutchy101 (Thursday Feb 2014 01:41:53)

Dermo wrote:

Ozil? Not interested at all in playing for Arsenal. I think the whole signing was a mistake for him and he's realised and his heart isn't in it.

On reflection, let's cut the lad a little slack here. He's been sunning himself in Spain for a few years lapping up hot weather and even hotter women. Moves to England in one of the worst winter's for years, doesn't speak the language, doesn't know anybody except a couple of the German players in the team, away from his family etc. etc.

Also, he's being asked to play differently than in Madrid and the pace and physicality of our league has certainly got to him already. Throw in the psychological effect of being farmed out to make room for Bale, and having to to take a step down (which it is, even I know Madrid are the world's biggest club) and I can see how difficult it must be. I don't care how much he's being paid, he's only been here six months. We'll see the best of Ozil next season I'm sure, if he lasts that long lol

smallman1 wrote:

Chelsea will step up next week and do the country proud worry not.

Oh good because it's keeping me awake at night.

If Ramsey wasn't injured Ozil would be warming the bench

Thought we did ok under the circumstances. Apart from the brilliant save Chesney made from Kroos, we looked a real threat in the first 15 mins, alas, Ozil's shite pen, seemd to knock the team back (and the fans!!) No complaints re sending off, ref was just following letter of law etc.... shame, was shaping up to be a good game!!

Lahm, Robben and Kroos were fucking great though

Filed under Reg

Kroos is a gonna at the end of the year. OT beckons...

Republik of Saddleworth

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne … t-mourinho

Mourihno making an utter tool of himself yet again.

Part of the problem

joeyp wrote:

Madness. Why make such a massive step down? At least Ozil is in the position to challenge for something. I would have thought even a bench role at the best team in Europe would be preferable to a mid-table club going nowhere.

This is the first season Arsenal have had a sniff of the action for a decade, get some control of yourself Flares.

Dermo wrote:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne … t-mourinho

Mourihno making an utter tool of himself yet again.

Fab doing a Flaresy and missing the point. It's a backhanded shot at City - Barca are just the vessel for Mourinho...a psychological trebuchet aimed at Manchester, if you will.

Thanks for explaining, Flaresy.  Not sure we could've worked that out with you.

I think what he's saying is every cunt is sick of having to hear what the tedious cunt Mourinho has to say like he's important in some way.

Last edited by Dermo (Thursday Feb 2014 06:18:25)

Part of the problem

Grant wrote:

This is the first season Arsenal have had a sniff of the action for a decade, get some control of yourself Flares.

Better a mere sniff of success, than the poignant nosegay of obsoletion.

joeyp wrote:

Madness. Why make such a massive step down? At least Ozil is in the position to challenge for something. I would have thought even a bench role at the best team in Europe would be preferable to a mid-table club going nowhere.

Can only imagine he wants to play for the biggest club in the world?

I've got more chance of winning a trophy than Ozil...

Tbf though cant see why you would want to leave Beyern

Last edited by joeyp (Thursday Feb 2014 06:21:29)

Republik of Saddleworth