Topic: Please debate .... (a music thread !)

.... this house believes that the 'Fabric' and 'FabricLive' series of CDs have established themselves as far superior in almost every regard to the Global Underground series.

a l t e r - n a t i v e   l o g i c                                                                                                                                    kevin 'smashdad' sullivan<i></i>

Re: Please debate .... (a music thread !)

The first point that I would like to make is not about the music itself but the attitude which appears to underpin the entire of both CD series.  The discs put out by Fabric are closer to what many perceived as the original intentions of the GU series

The Fabric CDs are not necessarily great if you think that the likes of a Craig Richards set is boring and tedious. Where the Deep C & Udoh CD Fabric?
<i></i>

In my opinion GU started to lose it with their continual use of such average DJ's like Warren and Seaman. They weren't prepared to take a risk on a lesser know, but actually better, DJ's like Fabric have. 
<i></i>

Don't get me wrong, I too love non-commercial-ridden CDs, and I love my underground too, but sometimes if a remix of a progressive track for example that may have a sample or is a remix of a "POP" or commercial track is featured on a CD, it sells doesn't it? it also opens possibilities of newcomers to the underground scene, they might see a remix of there fav. pop track on a progressive mix (used as the example again) and listen to the cd and find that all the other tracks are cool too, this means that there will be more listeners which means more buyers. Money talks, bullshit walks... You may also take an interest of a commercial track but in the particular remix, opening more doors for you...

As for me, i havent even heard of fabric, i blame it on the fact that i live in Australia, but i will check it out for sure to see what they have to offer. I must also admit, GU cd's have pretty much gone to @#%$, and digweed deserves another installment as i loved the Sydney, LA, and Tokyo (i think it was tokyo) mixes that he did for GU which are what got me into progressive house.
<i></i>

Theres good and less good ones in both GU and Fabric series.

I think NuBreed is very good as well for newer DJs.

GU should deffo ditch Nick Warren though.

<i></i>

Cant really make much of an argument as ive only brought and listened to the craig richards cd but I can say that it is the one cd in my collection that i REALLy regret buying....its @#%$ shite. doesn't go anywhere and failed to impress me, much like his sets at Fabric.

As for Global underground i agree the last few offerings have left a lot to be desired but pre Deep Dish Moscow I loved every one. Also to say they are too commercial is an exaggeration, although  dave seaman (melbourne) didn't get more than a few listens there is no denying the fact that the GU team made sure that there were more 'underground' tunes on their from australian producers, in fact I dont think it would be fair to say that seaman's cd was commercial at all.

Finally id just like to say that indeed Fabric is a truly amazing club but sometimes think that they dont exploit its potential. Apart from Garnier last week has there been a night since sasha & diggers back in december that can be classed as amazing at Fabric (saturdays Im talking aout). I believe there needs to be a much wider variety of line up on saturdays. maybe taking craig richards residency down to once a month, quite frankly a weekly richards residency just doesn't do it for me. 
<i></i>

Its true that Garnier was amazing and so were the boys back in December last year.

I really like Fabric as a venue - the crowd are sometimes a bit odd - but as a club I love it and would like to go more but the line up doesnt really inspire me to go. They should make more of it.

Lets have Garnier back for a start.

And S + D,

and we'll have Danny Howells as well please.

Thankyou.
<i></i>

Leave Nick Warren out?? Dont understand why hes getting slagged off. A true pioneer of the progressive scene with some very good GU offerings, not least amsterdam. If antthing the only person I think hasn't lived up to expectations is darren emerson, uruguay was very average and singapore was just plain boring. My favourite is Digweed sydney although Hong Konk is class as well. sasha's san francisco's is always gonna be a following closely behind.
<i></i>

Glad you feel the same!!! Such a waste of such a good club!!! Danny howells would defo do the usiness and lawler too would also be a night to remember!!!
<i></i>

Yeah baby - Steve Lawler doin the do all dark and dirty at Fabric. Now I would pay money for that!!

<i></i>

Im sorry to keep going on but cant get my head round the fabric series being better thn GU. Wot about the nubreed series, admittedly lawler's effort was a tad too tribal but every other one has bee nothing short of suberb. Satoshi's latest one was absolutely blinding. Cant believe that fabric will ever release a cd to rival that and wot about lawler's 'Lights Out'?? Now there's an album, theres no competition, The fabric series has nothing on GU!!
<i></i>

With ya on that one - see my previous thread about NuBreed. I think originally the comparison was made between the standard GU offerings rather than the NuBreed and Lights Out and Prototype (?) bits and bobs. When you actually do a like for like with all the various elements then GU come out on top for me but Fabric (club / CDs / nights) are still mighty classy.
<i></i>

GU picked up the batton from the Renaissance series & NE's - There 1st releases were inspiring, new, offered something a little different but have become very very samey & uninspired. There choice of dj's has become to stagnant & even though Lavelle is doing next release its too late to save this series in my opinion.

Sasha's 2 releases have been the standout for me......then Digweed but after that Warren & Seaman have been disapointing & been to many cd's released by them on other labels as well.

Fabric cd have a diversity that reflects the club - its could to see lesser djs being given releases & building on the support of the club & crowd.

The Bedrock series hasnt been mentioned but that was putting out quality releases (until Creamer) & like to see that take off on a grander scale as well.

Best Gu release (Sasha in San Fran) is better than anything released on Fabric - SO they win purely on that cd but since GU19 there hasnt been a decent release imo.

<i></i>

Just a small point but Fabric have marketed their series very well,

To air is human, to land is divine.

Download a mix right here

i've enjoyed although the fabric CDs i've got hold of, more than the recent GUs. i have to say that i found tyrant 2 a bit tedious and prefer craig richard's fabric CD (esp. that silicon jazz tune).

one of the best compilation series for me is NRK's Nite:Life, really looking forward to the Lexicon Avenue mix.

as for fabric itself - brilliant venue, brilliant sound system, slightly dubious crowd. for garnier the crowd was the best that i'd ever seen it - but probably because the bedrock board made up such a high percentage of it! would love to see digweed play there again.
<i></i>

Luminatus and clarkness are two of my favourite tunes EVER. fuckin class album!!!!
<i></i>

nice to meet you too Leon!
<i></i>

was good to see you too! got nothing but good memories from that night   
<i></i>

Best GU's for me have been both of Sasha's (shock, horror) and Digweeds rather tuff Sydney release. I think the GU's of late have been w*ank, although the 'different' turn they've taken with the new Lavelle compilation could be a clever move.

I'm going to subscribe to this series when I get organised.

<i></i>

Couple of points to make.

Packaging - The Fabric cases are wicked but I like what GU did with the Lawler case. black rubber + velcro! ooooohh

As for the actul music content, I have to say that when GU started, it was like a breath of fresh air. The two early Oakenfold offerings were superb imho. Or at least they were to me. The GU series is what opened my ears to the more progressive sound. I still to this day have a little bit of a fascination with collecting all GU offerings.... which is where Fabric have nailed it with the subscription idea - Genius! The GU series seemed to then slip a bit and didn't come across as essential purchases, but at the same time the NuBreed offshoot started up which I think has thrown up some beauties. I think the idea of using slightly more underground djs for the Fabric series' has paid off wonders, Tyler Stadius' latest is a prime example. I really want to catch this guy now. I know what sound to expect from the big boys so missing a couple of their mixes doesn't bother me too much.

Another point to be made is that GU place the emphasis on mixes inspired by certain parts of the world - Fabric's are the sounds of London, now.

In conclusion, I reckon if GU carried on in the slightly more sexy packaging vein, offered a subscription service (once evey two/three months? Can't think how regularly they throw them out) they would be back up there. But at the moment my Fabric and especially, FabricLive cds are the ones that are gaining most mucky fingerprints.

'Course if GU got a Boshin'n'Bangin' series going, I'd be there!!!!! Me Julesy, Pearcey, and the new boy from Holland - Hertz Van Rental......     

Rob
<i></i>

Do GU provide a subscription service?

confused of fleet   
<i></i>

I would say that it was difficult to compare the Fabric and GU mixes. The fabric ones represent the diversity of the club, and what it stands for i.e. not big name dj's week in week out. Whereas GU is based on big name DJ's playing sets from around the world.

If Fabric had big name dj's for their mixes then they would get slated for getting too commercial, and if GU had more underground mixes, then they would not appeal to a worldwide audience.

However Fabric is such a qaulity club that it is a shame that its full potential isnt used. I would love to see Lawler and Tenaglia play there. Or try and persuade Diggers to move Bedrock to fabric??? 
<i></i>

yeah - diggers monthly at fabric would be special but cant see it happening though
<i></i>

Would be weird to have Bedrock anywhere else.....

I say get Danny Howells down there once a month with speacial guests of his choice....
<i></i>