Re: **The Bedrock "Rate The Last Movie You Watched" Thread**

Big Fella wrote:
simonr wrote:

Saw 'Gamorrah' on DVD recently - top notch 9/10.

Based in Naples and depicting life under the Camorrah (local mafia) it's well worth a watch ... and airing on BBC 4 tonight at 10.00.

Tune in wink

Saw that about 12 months ago and turned it off as it bored me.

Subtitles too taxing BF ?

SimonR

The wife did well with the rentals this weekend. Here they are..

The Town--Entertaining and totally cool.  Affleck takes another step forward. I liked it. 8/10

Cyrus--Dry and dark drama. Some exceptionally funny parts. (picture taking in the tree)(Johna and his synth) Uncomfortable and weird at times too. 7/10 

Flipped--Warm n gushy. Great writing. Reiner comes through again. 9/10

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

had a very relaxing new year's eve/day

Salt 5/10 - interesting idea but felt rushed/unfinished
Scott Pilgrim 8/10 - slightly over stylised but still good
How to Train Your Dragon 8.5/10 - it's only a kids film but it's very good smile

check out my hearthis.at page

living la vida Strudders

How To Train Your Dragon was good.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Godfather 2 just finished ... 9.5/10 ... gets better each time, but had to deduct 0.5 for it's slapdash attempts at comedy with the landlord & Vito.

SimonR

simonr wrote:

Godfather 2 just finished ... 9.5/10 ... gets better each time, but had to deduct 0.5 for it's slapdash attempts at comedy with the landlord & Vito.

Probably my all-time favourite film.

Black Swan: 8/10

Bonded by Blood - 5/10 .... nothing different really to "Essex Boys" or "Rise of the Footsoldier" really but quite an easy watch.

Get Him to the Greek - 8/10 ..... extremely easy watch, good humour, some funny quotes and scenes, not a classic but worth a watch!

Despicable Me - 9/10 - Kids film, but entertaining. More of a boys film - Me & the Boy loved it, Daughter didn't.

Wez Saunders
(e) wesley.a.saunders@gmail.com

wez saunders wrote:

Despicable Me - 9/10 - Kids film, but entertaining. More of a boys film - Me & the Boy loved it, Daughter didn't.

thought this was great too!

There Will Be Blood - 9/10 - Just simply amazing. I could watch Daniel Day Lewis all day long.

Pi - 5/10 - couldn't take my eyes off it but it bored me to tears.

DJ Matt Black. Continuously dumbfounding the masses with his cryptic and incoherent reviews.

starcreeper wrote:

There Will Be Blood - 9/10 - Just simply amazing. I could watch Daniel Day Lewis all day long.

A few people have recommended this recently. Has it been on TV? I def need to check this out.

Wez Saunders

wez saunders wrote:
starcreeper wrote:

A few people have recommended this recently. Has it been on TV? I def need to check this out.

Yeah its been on tv recently too. Well worth a watch man. Incredible movie all round.

DJ Matt Black. Continuously dumbfounding the masses with his cryptic and incoherent reviews.

wez saunders wrote:
starcreeper wrote:

Do not watch it on TV, get it on Blu Ray if it's available. Quite possibly one of my all time favourite movies - Lewis' character has the most depth I've ever across.

Actually did an animation double header, Megamind and Despicable Me. Both were entertaining, I'd give them 8/10. Farrell was actually really really good in Megamind.

Watched Megamind in 3D, first 3D movie (lol haven't watched Avatar) I've seen. And what a painful experience. Never again. Shit makes me feel nauseous.

Watched Rabbit Hole and Winter's Bone. Winter's Bone has got good cinematography, but the plot is sleepy and boring. Epic ending though. Rabbit Hole was brilliant drama, with equally brilliant acting.  Very quirky and enjoyable.

Gladiator is on again.  I'm watching it again.  I love this movie.  5/5.

Diminished Responsibility wrote:
wez saunders wrote:
starcreeper wrote:

Do not watch it on TV, get it on Blu Ray if it's available. Quite possibly one of my all time favourite movies - Lewis' character has the most depth I've ever across.

Sweet, that's on my "to watch" list then, thanks for the tip Gents.

Just seen "Monsters". Wow! Thought it was ace - 9/10 from me.

Great atmosphere, great score (John Hopkins). Read up about it too - British Director (Gareth Edwards), only 7 employed "staff" (inc. actors - lots of unpaid extras). Lots of adhoc shooting, all done on scene, within 3 weeks. $15k on equipment, $500k budget. Effects all done using Adobe products in Edwards' bedroom.

Hard not to give it a 10 knowing all that. Not that much in terms of violence, Monsters or gore but perfectly made imo.

Wez Saunders

A few from the Crimble period. Me and Mrs both struck down with lurgy, so caught up on a few movies...

Really enjoyed it. Know there's plenty that didn't, but was great way to spend 3 hours in Xmas Day slouched on sofa!

Rock'n'Rolla - 6/10.
You pretty much know where you are with Guy Ritchie movies don't you? Quite slick and clever in places. Dull and predictable in others.

The Hangover - 7/10.
Proper silly road movie type fun.

Pulp Fiction - 8.5/10.
First time I'd seen it in years. Just pipped by Jackie Brown as my favourite Tarantino movie.

Inception - 9/10.
One of the best films I've seen in recent years. The first time I've seen Di Caprio be even remotely believable in a darkish character, and thought the performances, script and effects worked together brilliantly.

Slightly off topic, but honourable mention for the Red Riding Trilogy - 8/10.
Been sat on our Sky+ for ages. Finally got round to watching them over Xmas and thought they were excellent.

Finally saw tron. Meh.

Watched Buried last night. I hate claustrophobic movies like Panic Room and The Cube (which wasn't bad if I'm being fair)... but goddamn this was good.  Kept me interested all the way through. Those phonecalls were proper powerful. haha And you gotta love the tune they choose to play when the credits roll up. 8/10

There Will be Blood BD = here.

Gonna give it a shot in about half hour. Will report back to you in the morrow. I am expecting big things from this movie thanks to the feedback from pals & you lot. Don't let me down wink

Wez Saunders

Amps wrote:

Finally saw tron. Meh.

Me too, half the film is not in 3D and the bits that are are about as 3D as a childs drawing. Thought it was toss 2/10

The Fighter last night. Bale fucking owns. He needs to win an oscar for this. Wahlberg is good too. 9/10. Must watch.  The boxing is shown really well too. Got a very raw docu feel to it, which works perfectly.

There will be Blood. OMFG. Why have I not seen this before. Absolute belter, thanks for the tips guys - 10/10 for sure.

I'm going to have to return this rented BD and BUY IT for my collection. Spot on!

Wez Saunders

Tetsuo, The Iron Man.

Think I'm going to need a different grading scale for this one. The Japanese sure know how to make movies that are 'out there'.

Blood Simple again. Still can't figure why this is a classic? Am I missing something?

Catfish. Meh mostly, not nearly as suspenseful as I thought it might be. PEOPLE LIE ON FACEBOOK OMG U GUYS. 5/10

The Company Men. Good premise but a wasted opportunity mostly. CEOS MAKE LOTS OF MONEY WHILE THE LITTLE MAN GETS SHAT ON OMG U GUYS . 6/10

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

OMG U GUYS.....I don't want to see any of those, Slabs.  Thanks for the heads up...lol.

That's disappointing to hear about Tron as well...I was looking forward to seeing that sad

I watched Easy A and Step Up 3 recently.  They were both pretty mindless, but I'll admit that I still enjoyed them.  If only life could be as simple to figure out as a teen movie makes it seem.   

The acting in Step Up 3 is particularly bad, but I'm a sucker for a dance off, what can I say? smile

Last edited by Kelley (Monday Jan 2011 22:09:11)

I watched True Grit tonight. It was alright if you like westerns. I'm not a huge fan myself, but It was a Cohen brothers flick, so I had to give it a watch.