Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

What are the deets on that Grant?

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

I did the etape pennines on Sunday. 2200m of climbing over 60 miles.

Took me a shade under 5 hours. I have no idea how that would equate to marathon running but at an average power of 187W and 3300 calories burned it was an absolute beast.

Just checked on strava and the etape du tour had over 12000 ft of climbing (double the pennines) and was 30 miles longer. Looks like another level compared to what I did.

Planning the haute alps next year as I will be taking a bit of time off in August. Definitely need to get some hills in for training.

http://www.hauteroutealps.org/


I'll report back after doing my first marathon as to which is harder smile

Always happy for Ed Smalls to join me on a ride should he fancy it....

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

The Tour has been fantastic this year. Its impossible to equate a marathon against cycling unless there was a comparable distance. What a stupid bloody thing to say though.  People dressed as Fred Flintstone run marathons.

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Big Fella wrote:

What are the deets on that Grant?

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/inspire-ipcmedia-com/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/06/TdF14-st18-profile.jpg

148km, 3,300m of climbing. Took me 5:57 and burnt 4,800 calories

The weather was biblical after about 70km, the temperature at the top of the Tourmalet was 2 degrees - the descent was horrendous - brakes on the whole way down and loads of accidents. It was murder, especially that climb at Hautacam.

Two cat 3 and two HC climbs. The Tourmalet was a constant 1,700-odd metre climb

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

That's very impressive. Well done that man. Would love to do that.

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Might stick that in the diary for next year!

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Sorry, fucked up the time, 6:57

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Can I ask what the temperatures were on the lower sections mate?

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Grant wrote:

Sorry, fucked up the time, 6:57

I was thinking that was quick! Still reckon I'd be 45 mins behind you. What was the cut off broom wagon time?

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Between 18-24 degrees - warmer in Pau and then cooled.

Broom wagon was 10 hours.

Strava Suffer Score was 278 - Epic

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Grant wrote:

Between 18-24 degrees - warmer in Pau and then cooled.

Broom wagon was 10 hours.

Strava Suffer Score was 278 - Epic

maybe i need to upgrade to get my suffer score!

10 hours is doable.

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Dr Gonzo wrote:

The Tour has been fantastic this year. Its impossible to equate a marathon against cycling unless there was a comparable distance. What a stupid bloody thing to say though.  People dressed as Fred Flintstone run marathons.

How many marathon runners keep bags of their own blood in their fridge, or have to set their alarm clocks for 3am so they can get up and go on a treadmill to stop their blood congealing? Maybe a quick transfusion around the 15km mark to get them the rest of the way? Maybe they all do.
The TDF is the most drug-addled and corrupted sporting event outside of the Olympics.

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

you have to be on fucking drugs to watch it, let alone take part in it

Filed under Reg

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Great effort that Grant.

Well played.

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

BedRob wrote:

you have to be on fucking drugs to watch it, let alone take part in it

So what Rob? What's your point?

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

La Nausee wrote:
Dr Gonzo wrote:

The Tour has been fantastic this year. Its impossible to equate a marathon against cycling unless there was a comparable distance. What a stupid bloody thing to say though.  People dressed as Fred Flintstone run marathons.

How many marathon runners keep bags of their own blood in their fridge, or have to set their alarm clocks for 3am so they can get up and go on a treadmill to stop their blood congealing? Maybe a quick transfusion around the 15km mark to get them the rest of the way? Maybe they all do.
The TDF is the most drug-addled and corrupted sporting event outside of the Olympics.

True, but it's getting better. Still miles away from athletics.

I think the original point was non-pro though. In my very recent experience, that Etape was harder than the marathon I did.

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Grant wrote:
BedRob wrote:

you have to be on fucking drugs to watch it, let alone take part in it

So what Rob? What's your point?

Settle petal, just my opinion.

Filed under Reg

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

just checked my stats for my ride on Sunday. Spent 34% of the time at 0-24 watts, i.e. doing nothing.

Probably couldn't do that in a marathon smile

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

just watched the highlights. Nibali beat you by nearly 3 hours!!!!!

The weather looks nicer though

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

Running is harder than cycling and that's a fact.

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

I once had to ride 35 miles without a seat at night and naked. That was harder than running.  I only went to sit down once.

Re: Tour De France 2012 thread

benson wrote:

just watched the highlights. Nibali beat you by nearly 3 hours!!!!!

The weather looks nicer though


Did Grant do it on his Grifter?