Re: The good TV thread...

..I've watched them all, it's well made, snappy dialogue etc. I just find it too preachy

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Re: The good TV thread...

Unbroken1 wrote:

..I've watched them all, it's well made, snappy dialogue etc. I just find it too preachy

Mate, it's the 'snappy dialogue' that put me off it most to be honest...  They'll all be sat in a pre-broadcast meeting getting it all fleshed out before they go on air but there's still plenty of time for junior staff to hold the whole fucking thing up so they can get their 'witty' observation/one-liner/some-old-bollocks into the mix.

Fuck off.  That just doesn't happen.  Sorkin's dialogue writing started brilliantly (I really liked The West Wing) but his need to write the sort of dialogue you rightly describe as 'snappy' is increasingly compromising his ability to deliver realistic tele.

And the female Executive Producer is utterly unbelievable in the role.

Re: The good TV thread...

Unbroken1 wrote:

...Boardwalk series 4 outstanding. Fucking GUTTED at the last episode.

Still the best thing on TV IMO.

don't spoil it for the rest of us - it's building quite nicely atm

check out my hearthis.at page

living la vida Strudders

Re: The good TV thread...

...it's fucking belting Shaun, series 3 & 4 have been majestic.

smashdad wrote:
Unbroken1 wrote:

..I've watched them all, it's well made, snappy dialogue etc. I just find it too preachy

Mate, it's the 'snappy dialogue' that put me off it most to be honest...  They'll all be sat in a pre-broadcast meeting getting it all fleshed out before they go on air but there's still plenty of time for junior staff to hold the whole fucking thing up so they can get their 'witty' observation/one-liner/some-old-bollocks into the mix.

Fuck off.  That just doesn't happen.  Sorkin's dialogue writing started brilliantly (I really liked The West Wing) but his need to write the sort of dialogue you rightly describe as 'snappy' is increasingly compromising his ability to deliver realistic tele.

And the female Executive Producer is utterly unbelievable in the role.

...yeah, I guess you're right, it's prob nostalgia for West Wing that meant I could stick with it for 2 series, plus my first job was in a newsroom so it's familiar on other levels too.

Bang-on about Emily Mortimer, a proper ham... the weak link in the cast in the same way that Kelly Macdonald was in Boardwalk (although I mind her a lot less in the last couple of series)

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Re: The good TV thread...

Were you a fluffer for John Craven, Damo?

Competence is such an exotic bird in these woods that I appreciate it whenever I see it.

Re: The good TV thread...

Unbroken1 wrote:

...Boardwalk series 4 outstanding. Fucking GUTTED at the last episode.

Still the best thing on TV IMO.

That ended with some insanity. Loved it.
I have to keep reminding myself these guys are criminals.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Re: The good TV thread...

Unbroken1 wrote:

Bang-on about Emily Mortimer, a proper ham... the weak link in the cast in the same way that Kelly Macdonald was in Boardwalk (although I mind her a lot less in the last couple of series)

I don't mind either of those birds.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Re: The good TV thread...

seanc80 wrote:

Were you a fluffer for John Craven, Damo?

...almost

Frank Bough snorted chas off my tits

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Re: The good TV thread...

Anyone mention House of Cards yet?

Kevin Spacey is good in it. In that same politics vein there's the series: Boss

I can recommend them both.

Re: The good TV thread...

Has anybody seen Lilyhammer?

Re: The good TV thread...

Just caught the first two seasons of 'Episodes' on Netflix. 

Watching Joey from Friends absolutely rip the piss out of himself is rather amusing - especially when Friends was such a terrible show.  It's not the best thing on TV, but certainly worthy of following.

Re: The good TV thread...

loopdokter wrote:

Just caught the first two seasons of 'Episodes' on Netflix. 

Watching Joey from Friends absolutely rip the piss out of himself is rather amusing - especially when Friends was such a terrible show.  It's not the best thing on TV, but certainly worthy of following.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed Episodes. One of the few English comedies of recent years that actually made me (occasionally) chuckle. Like you say, not brilliant but not bad either.

Re: The good TV thread...

smashdad wrote:

Yeah, I quite enjoyed Episodes. One of the few English comedies of recent years that actually made me (occasionally) chuckle. Like you say, not brilliant but not bad either.

I first heard about it on Graham Norton (yeah, I know what a lot of you think of him but his show is miles better than our chat shows).  I admittedly haven't looked into it any further, but are there any more seasons beyond the first two?

Re: The good TV thread...

loopdokter wrote:

Just caught the first two seasons of 'Episodes' on Netflix.

finger on the zeitgeist as always Jay

welcome to 2011

check out my hearthis.at page

living la vida Strudders

Re: The good TV thread...

shaunstrudwick wrote:

finger on the zeitgeist as always Jay

welcome to 2011

You gave Man of Steel a 9.  Lets not talk about taste and being 'hip', shall we Strudders?

Re: The good TV thread...

loopdokter wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:

finger on the zeitgeist as always Jay

welcome to 2011

You gave Man of Steel a 9.  Lets not talk about taste and being 'hip', shall we Strudders?

at least MoS came out in 2013...

Episodes is good - some are better than The Office season 1 (English version)

if you haven't checked out the Gervais live shows you should - Animals is probably my favourite

the podcasts are good as well - don't know if he's still doing them mind

check out my hearthis.at page

living la vida Strudders

Re: The good TV thread...

shaunstrudwick wrote:

Episodes is good - some are better than The Office season 1 (English version)

NO THEY ARE NOT - and I'm not even particularly a Gervais fan.

Re: The good TV thread...

Big Fella wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:

Episodes is good - some are better than The Office season 1 (English version)

NO THEY ARE NOT - and I'm not even particularly a Gervais fan.

I second this.  The Office it is not.  Not even the same type of comedy for that matter.

Re: The good TV thread...

Don't get hysterical there, Big lad.

Re: The good TV thread...

Who let Strudders run wild in my absence?

Re: The good TV thread...

loopdokter wrote:
Big Fella wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:

Episodes is good - some are better than The Office season 1 (English version)

NO THEY ARE NOT - and I'm not even particularly a Gervais fan.

I second this.  The Office it is not.  Not even the same type of comedy for that matter.


Thanks Jase. Which is your favourite Office character?

I like the one that used to throw the staples and hide behind the desk...

Re: The good TV thread...

Big Fella wrote:

I like the one that used to throw the staples and hide behind the desk...

The geezer from Yorkshire... Forget his character name.

Re: The good TV thread...

loopdokter wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

I like the one that used to throw the staples and hide behind the desk...

The geezer from Yorkshire... Forget his character name.

Finchy?

Re: The good TV thread...

loopdokter wrote:
Big Fella wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:

Episodes is good - some are better than The Office season 1 (English version)

NO THEY ARE NOT - and I'm not even particularly a Gervais fan.

I second this.  The Office it is not.  Not even the same type of comedy for that matter.

Shaun - were you thinking of 'Extras' per chance?!

Re: The good TV thread...

Episodes is pretty good though, i love Matt Le Blancs "version" of himself in that series