Topic: National Record Shop Day

Any of you celebrating national record shop day today? Me and the wife have polished off a bottle of cava and some Colombian espresso and are off into Manchester to show some support . Fingers crossed the staff are still as smug and unfriendly as they used to be, should be a right laugh anyways....

Jack is back baby.....

Re: National Record Shop Day

I'll raise a glass to an almost extinct national treasure. If I was still in Kingston I'd probably go over to Beggars Banquet and light some candles outside on the pavement. We used to hang around Creative Sound a lot, I don't know how much cash I spent there over the years but my house was full of records at one point. Paul from Circulation owned it, then they blew up and he had Tricky Micky take over for a bit - great little shop with lots of upfront tech house and imports, and the lads were always good for a chat about this and that. It's a clothes shop now I think.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Laughing Jack wrote:

Any of you celebrating national record shop day today? Me and the wife have polished off a bottle of cava and some Colombian espresso and are off into Manchester to show some support . Fingers crossed the staff are still as smug and unfriendly as they used to be, should be a right laugh anyways....

Dermo doesn't work in Eastern Block anymore, so the service should be less surly.

SimonR

Highly predictable SimonR.

Part of the problem

Ive just had a mooch round Berwick St..quite good really, like a mini festival. Had a few al fresco beers and listened to some half decent bands..

Used to love spending days rooting round there. Are all those vinyl exchanges down there still?

Last edited by Dermo (Saturday Apr 2013 13:47:53)

Part of the problem

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

I'll raise a glass to an almost extinct national treasure. If I was still in Kingston I'd probably go over to Beggars Banquet and light some candles outside on the pavement. We used to hang around Creative Sound a lot, I don't know how much cash I spent there over the years but my house was full of records at one point. Paul from Circulation owned it, then they blew up and he had Tricky Micky take over for a bit - great little shop with lots of upfront tech house and imports, and the lads were always good for a chat about this and that. It's a clothes shop now I think.

a sad day when Creative closed

katakana wrote:

Ive just had a mooch round Berwick St..quite good really, like a mini festival. Had a few al fresco beers and listened to some half decent bands..

Spent many an afternoon wandering around there between going in Tag records and Plastic fantastic, always used to find the odd tasty vinyl double pack in the record and tape exchange before heading up to Oxford st and heading towards virgin megastore, ah memories

Went to the Sheffield event at Victoria Keys today to throw a bit of cash at the local labels. I was impressed with what was set up and the live artwork helped create a good vibe. I'd recommend a trip down if anyone is in the area.

Did SimonR create the LAughing Jack alias (first post) just as a means to get that tired effort in? lol.

nope

SimonR

#justcheckin

^ I have enough trouble being myself without going to the effort of having to pretend to be someone else as well. (insert Danny Tenaglia joke)

As we approached Piccadilly Records I thought they must have been giving away free pills, hundreds queuing outside desperate to pay over the odds for a load of records.  They should have just d/loaded them off the web and saved themselves the bus fare into town.  Not many at Eastern Bloc but nice to hear some good tunes whilst enjoy a coffee and some sunshine. Used the money we saved from records to keep the madness going all day.  Also asked a few of the idiots queueing up if it was the queue for Starbucks/167 bus, blank looks all round.  We didn't realise that Eastern Bloc had moved until we got some blsnk looks off the assistant in the old shop while asking if they had any Guy J. The missus picked up some great hair extensions though. 

National Record Shop Day = excuse for a mad one and to get your laugh on.

Jack is back baby.....

fadass wrote:

#justcheckin

Fadass getting down with the kids using hashtags

MattBlack wrote:
fadass wrote:

#justcheckin

Fadass getting down with the kids using hashtags

...and not spealling things correctly

Jack is back baby.....

Omitting the 'g' was "street".

I wouldn't expect most on here to get that.

I remember buying some records from Plastic fantastic one saturday, about £80 worth. Then getting straight on the lash and carrying them round all day with me. Ended up in fabric. Woke up in the morning, minus the records. Can't remember at what point i lost the fuckers. Bought them all again a few weeks later, Spastic Fan Tastic!