Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Amps wrote:
Amps wrote:
chuffer wrote:

Just read Dean Koontz - Relentless

a hairy tangled clag-nut of a read involving a psychopathic murderous organisation, a tele-porting dog and a genius kid who can turn back time.....lord, burn my eyes

Sounds right up my strada...

Some of the reviews of this are amazing, proper 'worst book ever' stuff.

doesn't surprise me....though i reckon anything by James Patterson would give it a run for its money....or even Stephen King's Dreamcatcher that im reading now, Christ it's bad....

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

La Nausee wrote:
EDWARDTHECONFESSOR wrote:

yep. got all of welsh's stuff..even 'if you liked school you'll love work' which was 75% crap.

helps if you are a bit of an anorak for his material before reading 'skag boys',

he's been involved with some utter crap film wise, saw one about  a sunday league football team with kieth allen recently....it was worse than 'guest house paridiso'!.

reading' hickory wind ' the story of gram parsons again..quality.

this  irvine welsh written tv drama,'wedding belles' was pretty good though.

I reviewed that Allen film in the movie thread. Horrendous stuff. I've read everything of Welsh's bar Skag Boys......looks like money for old rope? Will give it a go at some stage though.

Skag Boys is okay, but it's not his best by a long way.  Worth a read  mind.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

chuffer wrote:
Amps wrote:
Amps wrote:

Sounds right up my strada...

Some of the reviews of this are amazing, proper 'worst book ever' stuff.

doesn't surprise me....though i reckon anything by James Patterson would give it a run for its money....or even Stephen King's Dreamcatcher that im reading now, Christ it's bad....

anything by fiction 'crime' writer martina cole..utter shit...met her a couple of times in bars in the city, when on it.

always had a young bit of lairy chicken in tow to violate at her leisure .one can only but make an informed guess.

she had the air of a dom about about her.no doubt about it.

probably shit on their faces while smoking a cigar...something of that nature.

absolute fucking horse shit books.avoid.

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Thursday Feb 2014 01:46:08)

"Walk with me through the universe, and along the way see how all of us are connected. Feast the eyes of your soul on the love that abounds, in all places seemingly endless, like your own existence........We are Connected.."

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

La Nausee wrote:
EDWARDTHECONFESSOR wrote:

yep. got all of welsh's stuff..even 'if you liked school you'll love work' which was 75% crap.

helps if you are a bit of an anorak for his material before reading 'skag boys',

he's been involved with some utter crap film wise, saw one about  a sunday league football team with kieth allen recently....it was worse than 'guest house paridiso'!.

reading' hickory wind ' the story of gram parsons again..quality.

this  irvine welsh written tv drama,'wedding belles' was pretty good though.

I reviewed that Allen film in the movie thread. Horrendous stuff. I've read everything of Welsh's bar Skag Boys......looks like money for old rope? Will give it a go at some stage though.

like grant said, worth a read. some dewy eyed/laugh out loud moments in between sickboys latest scams.

"Walk with me through the universe, and along the way see how all of us are connected. Feast the eyes of your soul on the love that abounds, in all places seemingly endless, like your own existence........We are Connected.."

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Sickboy has always got on my tits.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Grant wrote:

Sickboy has always got on my tits.

spuds my man.poor cunt

"Walk with me through the universe, and along the way see how all of us are connected. Feast the eyes of your soul on the love that abounds, in all places seemingly endless, like your own existence........We are Connected.."

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

chuffer wrote:
Amps wrote:
Amps wrote:

Sounds right up my strada...

Some of the reviews of this are amazing, proper 'worst book ever' stuff.

doesn't surprise me....though i reckon anything by James Patterson would give it a run for its money....or even Stephen King's Dreamcatcher that im reading now, Christ it's bad....

Does Patterson co-write a book a week? Who reads them? How many times can you rehash the same old shite? I've never read one so I could be doing him a disservice. I was given Game of Thrones to read.....dear oh dear. What a steaming turd it is. From the author calling himself George "RR" Martin and the maps that bear a striking resemblance to Lord of the Rings....and that's where any similarity with Tolkien ends. I read about 200 pages in despair. It could have been written by a five year old. It's awful, no redeeming values whatsoever.
And Sean Bean is on the cover. Soon to be winging its way to the Oxfam shop.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

La Nausee wrote:

Does Patterson co-write a book a week? Who reads them?

My Nan......she's got a wall full of them, says to me "have you ever tried one, they're great.....dead easy to read" lol

"Right ok nan........"

So anyway I gave 4 of them a bash.........absolute dog shit each and every single one of them, vacuous "thriller" drivel with the same characters (literally) in every story only there's no getting to know any of them in any depth - they're all just names in a bunch of police/FBI/CIA bullshit action scenes..........written in size 64 font too so that the special can read it easily

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Close to finishing off the Alex Ferguson autobiography (got a signed copy! KLANG?)... it's been my shitter read for the past week. Almost seems like a end of year report card for all his past players and a few managers. Decent enough goss in there, but in general it seems the sort of writing you'd find in Hello magazine and it's very rushed. Think he should have waited it out a couple of years with a little hindsight.  Sucks on Moyes' balls from the get go. And I didn't really buy his excuses for fucking up against Barca as badly as United did.

The last football book I read was the Cantona bio, "The Rebel Who Would Be King". Epic that was.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

chuffer wrote:
La Nausee wrote:

Does Patterson co-write a book a week? Who reads them?

My Nan......she's got a wall full of them, says to me "have you ever tried one, they're great.....dead easy to read" lol

"Right ok nan........"

So anyway I gave 4 of them a bash.........absolute dog shit each and every single one of them, vacuous "thriller" drivel with the same characters (literally) in every story only there's no getting to know any of them in any depth - they're all just names in a bunch of police/FBI/CIA bullshit action scenes..........written in size 64 font too so that the special can read it easily

Never read anything co-written by two people. He has a plethora of acolytes churning out the same old guff....on their own they wouldn't get published but stick his name on the cover and they sell a million. And with such imaginative titles as "Kill Alex Cross". I think you know you're not about to delve into The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
Anyway, horses for courses and whatever blows your skirt up.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Reading Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajamäki. He's a Finnish dude who teaches mathematics or something in the Edinburgh university. He wrote it in English, and the language is beautiful. Damn good scifi if that's your thing. Think a mix of Ian M. Banks and Dan Simmons' Hyperion-books.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

EDWARDTHECONFESSOR wrote:

martina cole...probably shit on their faces while smoking a cigar...something of that nature.


I wouldn't turn that down tbf

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

I need something proper to read, get my teeth into.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Under the dome by Stephen king started off well but had a really shit ending, again some bollix about aliens....think they tried to make a tv show in the US.....bag of wank too by all accounts

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

chuffer wrote:

Under the dome by Stephen king started off well but had a really shit ending, again some bollix about aliens....think they tried to make a tv show in the US.....bag of wank too by all accounts

I read it mate. Typical King stuff.......1000 pages or so. More padding than Fadas' jocks. Funny, in parts (the book), but not his best.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

I've nearly finished jake arnotts "the long firm" trilogy.
Fucking brilliant, evocative and very easy to read... Fictional underworld London spliced in with some true old villain names/"faces" starts in the 60s and finishes with rave scene in the 90s.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Hodgy wrote:

I've nearly finished jake arnotts "the long firm" trilogy.
Fucking brilliant, evocative and very easy to read... Fictional underworld London spliced in with some true old villain names/"faces" starts in the 60s and finishes with rave scene in the 90s.

Ed the Confessor's biography?

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Yeah pretty much!
Check it out though if you fancy a good 900 page effort.. Dead easy to plough through it quickly, quite the page turner it is.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

I'm going to read Finnegan's Wake. Or Run, Alex Cross.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Captain Fantastic - Mick McCarthy

http://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/panini-mccarthy1.png

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

starcreeper wrote:

Captain Fantastic - Mick McCarthy

http://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/panini-mccarthy1.png

Was Fadas showing you his Panini sticker book? Brings it everywhere with him.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

http://ebookoid.com/

Rather handy for the chap who reads on his ipad3

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

La Nausee wrote:
Hodgy wrote:

I've nearly finished jake arnotts "the long firm" trilogy.
Fucking brilliant, evocative and very easy to read... Fictional underworld London spliced in with some true old villain names/"faces" starts in the 60s and finishes with rave scene in the 90s.

Ed the Confessor's biography?

'The long firm' was clever esp, the lord thursby /lord boothby  link.

the lord and ronnie(kray) shared a love of scatology , ronnie enjoyed it even more so if the young man was a less than keen participant of his heavey  muscular log in his mouth. hed enjoy the choking element of this party game.

the lord himself, chose  to receive rather than give human waste.

great character harry starks.

the triolgy got wose as it went on with' true crime' an obvious rip off of bernard omahoneys 'essex boys/rettingdon murders' not to be confused with that abomination os a film with sean bean.

bernie was  doorman at the now ghoulish ' raquels' of leah betts infamy. he was a face with  tucker/tate/leech and rolfes that controlled the doors around here from the late eighties to mid nineties.   

https://covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/882083-M.jpg

would have been interesting to see them deal with the serbs/croats and albanians who seem to be major players now.

a little known ,outside of east london/essex in those days was a nasty little cunt i remember , jason marinello ,a psycho from basildon who injected cocktails of speed/coke/pcp/barbs straight into the groins of his adversaries.the aforementioned tucker/tate and leech left him alone unless he took extreme liberties in their clubs, ie, free champers, beating up staff/customers for no reason or taking money from the till.

fortunately the cunts dead,(o'd).think he was our version of the north's 'white tony'

they'd always be in the epping forest country club, holding court.sawdust caesars of their micheal bentines potty time arena.

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Wednesday Mar 2014 09:51:10)

"Walk with me through the universe, and along the way see how all of us are connected. Feast the eyes of your soul on the love that abounds, in all places seemingly endless, like your own existence........We are Connected.."

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

La Nausee wrote:
starcreeper wrote:

Captain Fantastic - Mick McCarthy

http://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/panini-mccarthy1.png

Was Fadas showing you his Panini sticker book? Brings it everywhere with him.

His prize collection.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bh_uMLOCIAApg98.jpg

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

State of David Harvey LOL never smiled for a pic coz he had no teeth. He was in nets for my first game at Elland.

Part of the problem