Re: Pierre's Book Corner

I've just finished Glow by Ned Bauman.

Good book, intellectually stimulating, the bloke's clearly a genius but it's not quite as entertaining as it is impressive. 7/10

Struggling to chose my next book ATM. Will probably switch back to autobiographical/ non-fiction.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King
Legs are very frickin important parts of the woman, thin ankle and tense bop is a must.
MateGreen

Finished Unbroken last night, an unbelievable story about a guy called Louis Zamperini in WWII - best book I've read in ages.

Just finished The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort - the book that inspired the movie.  It's a load of self-serving egotistical tripe of the highest order - which is why it's a worthwhile read.  This guy is a cunt of the highest order and seems to realize he got off with behaving as such (and apparently continues to do so) for the majority of the 1990s.

Recommended shitter reading.

Great book. Differs from the film a fair bit.

Squidgy wrote:

I found them quite similar actually - outside of the name changes given to certain people.

Just finished House of Lies about the BS of management consultants. everything they say is true.

now starting the latest ken follett.

Any girl that can't distinguish between her grandmother and a wolf is either as dense as teak or comes from a really ugly family

loopdokter wrote:
Squidgy wrote:

I found them quite similar actually - outside of the name changes given to certain people.

Perhaps u need to watch the film again. The order of events and their usage is different in various places. There are bits in the film that have been overegged - the treatment of the FBI, his interaction with them and related boardroom speech don't tie up. All added for dramatic effect of course.  There are also many elements not included in the film.

Picked up Irvine Welsh's new one today...The Sex Life of Siamese Twins.
And Salem's Lot which I never got around to reading, mainly because the film scared the crap out of me as a nipper. That kid tapping at the window.......

loopdokter wrote:

Just finished The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort - the book that inspired the movie.

Lol - I love jay. I would never have known this.

Just finished Peter Guralnik's excellent two volume biography of Elvis. I hadn't realised what a dick he was until reading it.

Elvis, not Guralnik.

fadass wrote:

Lol - I love jay. I would never have known this.

I'm aware it was a Captain Obvious statement.

I've got Irvine Welsh's new one lined up in the waiting, but before that I'm going to read Marcus Lattrell's book 'Lone Survivor', which also the movie of the same is based upon.

Next time Jay you should post a captain "photo" for Tom.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

snowstorm wrote:

Just finished House of Lies about the BS of management consultants. everything they say is true.

I've just started watching the series, so the fact that it's based upon a book piques my interest.

The show is excellent.

Just finished reading The Godfather. Great story, just crying out for someone to make it into a film.

------------
Millsy , you're a board titan and beyond mere platitudes. Your contribution speaks for itself.

niton (Oct 14)

Just started Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin

To read:

Agent Storm
Before I Go To Sleep
Sex Lives of Siamese Twins
The work of "Robert Galbraith"
Rankin's Malcolm Fox stuff

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King
Legs are very frickin important parts of the woman, thin ankle and tense bop is a must.
MateGreen

Just finished Salem's Lot which was a bit crap really.
Started Welsh's latest one.....just a few pages in and it's ok so far. Hold tight.

Need something really good to get my teeth into next.

chromosome_junction wrote:

Just started Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin

To read:

Agent Storm
Before I Go To Sleep
Sex Lives of Siamese Twins
The work of "Robert Galbraith"
Rankin's Malcolm Fox stuff

Read Rankin's last one.....can't remember the name.....Saints of the Shadow Bible? Something like that. Pretty good. You know what you're getting with him.

Indeed you do. "Reliable" is a word I'd associate him with. I suppose that also applies to Irvine as well.

Interested to see what aul' JK is capable of as her alter-ego. I'm proud to say I've never read, or watched, anything she produced pre-Galbraith.

Martin Luther King
MateGreen

Welsh's latest was actually quite good. Worth a look.
Just finished The Guts by Roddy Doyle....featuring some of the characters from The Commitments...and it was shite. And Doyle's a bit of a wand as well.
Currently on Concrete Island by JG Ballard.....never really got into him at all. Next up..Walking on Glass by Iain Banks.