Re: Pierre's Book Corner

dutchy101 wrote:

Just reading John Niven - Kill Your Friends at the moment after seeing it in here and don't want the bloody thing to end - one of the best books I've ever read. Fucking love it. Anyone got any similar recommendations? Already read American Psycho.

What are Niven's other books like?

The Second Coming is almost excellent, but never as laugh-out-loud shocking as Kill Your Friends. I'm about to start Straight White Male. I've read Cold Hands which was his attempt at a thriller and it's absolute fucking shit-house.

I was gutted when I finished Kill Your Friends - that, American Psycho and Maribou Stork Nightmares are incredible books.

Just finished it now. Amazing book. Cheers for the others gents going to get onto those sharpish

Grant wrote:
dutchy101 wrote:

Just reading John Niven - Kill Your Friends at the moment after seeing it in here and don't want the bloody thing to end - one of the best books I've ever read. Fucking love it. Anyone got any similar recommendations? Already read American Psycho.

The Second Coming is almost excellent, but never as laugh-out-loud shocking as Kill Your Friends. I'm about to start Straight White Male. I've read Cold Hands which was his attempt at a thriller and it's absolute fucking shit-house.

I was gutted when I finished Kill Your Friends - that, American Psycho and Maribou Stork Nightmares are incredible books.

American Psycho is a hoot. Saw some bird reading it a while ago on my holibobs and was thinking "she's really going to enjoy the rat scene".

yeh the film is not half as gruesome as the book......though there was no way anyone would have considered putting that scene on film

Last edited by chuffer (Thursday Jan 2014 14:38:57)

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'Get your rat out!'

dutchy101 wrote:

Steven Stelfox is the man. 

I read The Second Coming based on the brilliance of Kill your Friends but it was never really going to get anywhere near. Haven't bothered with the rest of Niven's stuff.

I just finished The Grapes of Wrath which is absolutely fantastic.  A classic that actually lives up to its reputation.

Of the recent books I've read, these were the most entertaining...

The Passage by Justin Cronin. Somewhat King-esque, but less heavy-handed while the characters and plot being evenly detailed. I don't know how I feel about the film rights being purchased by Ridley Scott, but it could easily translate to film. I did pick up the sequel The Twelve but have yet to start it.

Raw by Mark Haskell Smith. Simply, just a fun and humorous read.

Fuck , just read the thread back.thought you were talking about david niven.

what a cunt eh!

"Just because it's two o'clock
Don't stop the music
Don't you feel like dancing and prancing?
Don't stop the music"

Yarbrough & peoples
@dont stop the music.

"Walk with me through the universe, and along the way see how all of us are connected. Feast the eyes of your soul on the love that abounds, in all places seemingly endless, like your own existence."

Haha, not read any David Niven, but seen a few of the old Parkinson interviews - was a ledge. As was Errol Flynn and to bring this back on topic I thoroughly recommned his autobiography 'My Wicked, Wicked Ways'. It is nothing short of epic.

will catch up with that ripping yarn.

"I only ever wanted to train as a priest, it was my calling.i just had a few tiny character faults..hard drug addiction,depravity and a sado masochistic compulsion that makes the hellraiser box look like the rubic cube"
etc.

"Walk with me through the universe, and along the way see how all of us are connected. Feast the eyes of your soul on the love that abounds, in all places seemingly endless, like your own existence."

dutchy101 wrote:

. As was Errol Flynn and to bring this back on topic I thoroughly recommned his autobiography 'My Wicked, Wicked Ways'. It is nothing short of epic.

Sold.

You won't regret it mate. The bloke had the most incredible life. Shagged over 12,000 women. That's one a day for 36 years. But there's so much more to it then that. Some genuinely piss funny moments in the book.

dutchy101 wrote:

Shagged over 12,000 women. That's one a day for 36 years.

He's no Castro but a good innings all the same. Respect.

Errol Flynn had more STD's per square inch than Katie Price. Tru fax.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

He also had a weapon of ass destruction by all accounts.

Really? God my gran loves him. Maybe thats why.

I'm sure this can't be the actual sheath, but it wouldn't surprise me. His defence in court once when a woman accused him of raping her in the front seat of his car was that it was simply impossible.  My hampton is too big m'lord.

http://sensesofcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Errol-Flynn-fencing.jpg

Not sure Naus would approve of Twitter talk in Pierre's Book Corner, but John Niven is pretty funny on twitter.

Been catching up on The New 52 Graphic Novels, the various Batman ones. Quite good. Got Before Watchmen lined up as well.

Fuck off Rhouses, 'Graphic Novels'?

Just fuck off.

草泥马

hhahahahahahaha. I've been reading this weird but funny book called 211 Things A Bright Boy Can Do by Tom Cutler, every time I go to the shitter, if that makes any difference.

dutchy101 wrote:

My hampton is too big m'lord.

Yeah, heard he was some sort of human tripod. Didn't he swing both ways?

He doesn't refer to it in the book but I had heard he'd experimented with a bloke because he had got bored of women.  I suppose 12,000 women can have that effect on you.

talking of hamptons from a bygone era,

Those cheeky scamps eddie and charlie richardson would tie a suspected 'wrong 'un' over a wooden block and drop   his trousers.

entrance stage left an adult circus performer , on the payroll, with a 13" schlong in a mask and cape aka zorro.

he would grease his pole with goose fat then theatrically thrust, just the once mind you, and withdraw with a flourish

the unfortunate recepitants anus would prolapse along with quite a bit of spillage upon the floor.

if frankie fraser, a sodimite, wished,he would shit on a plate, put ketchup on it, and the bloke with his guts all over the floor would have to dine on this feast also.whilst being told he was a naughty grass.

high jinks and tomfoolery were always just around the corner with these rascals!.

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Saturday Jan 2014 11:02:58)

dutchy101 wrote:

He doesn't refer to it in the book but I had heard he'd experimented with a bloke because he had got bored of women.  I suppose 12,000 women can have that effect on you.

Can you imagine the mither the poor lad had to encounter, at least it was before mobile phones I suppose.

Last edited by Big Fella (Saturday Jan 2014 11:11:39)

Haha, one can only imagine Bf.  He makes some bitter and humerous comments about his first wife and the divorce payments she got from him. Something along the lines of "I had to ride a lot of horses and wave a lot of swords for that money".

Never knew that about Frankie Fraser , Ed. I've read Mad Frank before. Some hilarious anecdotes in that.  Recommended if you've not read it but you seem to already be fairly familiar with his activities.