Re: Sasha on Digweed - new Mixmag interview

Sasha wrote:

"I found John, Yeh invented him", Sasha explains whilst nervously lighting up his tenth cigarette of the hour. " Yeh coz he'd still be working on the bins if I hadn't thrown him a life line". " Soon forgot that hasn't he? 
Sasha enviously looks on at a current picture of John and his teenage flowing locks. "People think he has better hair. But my hair was my trademark long before his. A lot of people thiink I don't have mine anymore but I do. I still have all of it. Its in a box under my bed".

Last edited by Dermo (Wednesday Jul 2013 14:56:19)

Part of the problem

monostereo wrote:
j.p sykes wrote:

What's the obsession with seeing them together again? I have seen them b2b many times and there's no point, they just get in each others way. Their strengths are building long sets, not playing two tracks then handing it over. That's why festivals are generally shit, they don't get chance to build something.

This

Not this... I've rarely heard Sasha do a great long set. I've heard him do a fantastic 2-3 hours, sure. Anything more and I'm not so sure. The festival sets I've seen and heard from late 90s early 00s show that he's good in the more condensed situations. He's more about the mini journeys (*blow brains out*) whereas Digweed is much better at the long sets.

Squidgy wrote:
monostereo wrote:
j.p sykes wrote:

What's the obsession with seeing them together again? I have seen them b2b many times and there's no point, they just get in each others way. Their strengths are building long sets, not playing two tracks then handing it over. That's why festivals are generally shit, they don't get chance to build something.

This

Not this... I've rarely heard Sasha do a great long set. I've heard him do a fantastic 2-3 hours, sure. Anything more and I'm not so sure. The festival sets I've seen and heard from late 90s early 00s show that he's good in the more condensed situations. He's more about the mini journeys (*blow brains out*) whereas Digweed is much better at the long sets.

Incorrect.  His festival sets or "mini journeys" as you call them from that period generally used to descend into BSPF luke chable style crowd pleasing mediocrity.   Only it didn't particularly please his fans or more casual listeners who where there to see Pete Tong.

As has been said many a time that type of moody building house just falls flat in that setting and pales into insignificance when compared his extended sets at places like fabric and twilo at around that time.

You're talking cod, Martin.  St Ives 99 as exhibit a.

Dermo wrote:
Sasha wrote:

"I found John, Yeh invented him", Sasha explains whilst nervously lighting up his tenth cigarette of the hour. " Yeh coz he'd still be working on the bins if I hadn't thrown him a life line". " Soon forgot that hasn't he? 
Sasha enviously looks on at a current picture of John and his teenage flowing locks. "People think he has better hair. But my hair was my trademark long before his. A lot of people thiink I don't have mine anymore but I do. I still have all of it. Its in a box under my bed".

Jesus, Sasha is a washed up mess these days. I believe the interview was done in his bedsit in Croydon.

monostereo wrote:
Squidgy wrote:
monostereo wrote:

This

Incorrect.  His festival sets or "mini journeys" as you call them from that period generally used to descend into BSPF luke chable style crowd pleasing mediocrity.   Only it didn't particularly please his fans or more casual listeners who where there to see Pete Tong.

As has been said many a time that type of moody building house just falls flat in that setting and pales into insignificance when compared his extended sets at places like fabric and twilo at around that time.

True but one of my favourite Sasha sets was a festival set, it was the one that started off with the Nalin and Kane remix of Three in one and was recorded in the south west I think

MattBlack wrote:

True but one of my favourite Sasha sets was a festival set, it was the one that started off with the Nalin and Kane remix of Three in one and was recorded in the south west I think

It was that memorable, that you can't even remember where it was?

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

Henry Rindhoops wrote:
MattBlack wrote:

It was that memorable, that you can't even remember where it was?

I heard it on the radio so no, I can't remember exactly

MattBlack wrote:

I heard it on the radio so no, I can't remember exactly

Sorry but you need to have been there to have your post taken seriously.

Listening to it on a one speaker Goodmans radio from Index just doesn't make up for it.

I cant remember any of my favourite sets. Or tracks. Or artists.

Part of the problem

I just know I like them.

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:

I cant remember any of my favourite sets. Or tracks. Or artists.

I just know I like them.

Story of my life.

Sadly I've never seen them play together.. I missed the whole thing, but I do enjoy their styles.. separately.

I've seen Sasha play live 4 times, 3 of which were in San Francisco, and only one was memorable, and I've see John like 9 times .. all of which were pretty amazing.

Now.. after seeing them both at a festival couple of weeks ago, I have to say that the "mini journey" you are talking about is very much what I though when I saw Sasha's set. He managed to make that outdoor venue feel like a small intimate club.. and it was amazing.

I managed to record his whole set, but since I can't post links.. just search for

Sasha live at EDC Las Vegas 2013 (full set)

on youtube

John's set was great as well.. hardcore, straight to the point.. which is what you would expect from a short festival oriented set ..

But then I went to his Bedrock after party (the same night) and that was.. well.. way better than anything I saw at the festival, not even close.. but it took about 4 hours, where at the festival he only had 90 mins or so.

Search for: EDC Las Vegas 2013 - John Digweed (full set)

Which brings me to the question.. why do they need to play b2b ? Can't they just do.. Sasha opening for about 2 hours, and then John comes in and smashes for another 3-4hrs ?

After seeing them both in the same setting, I think that would work beautifully smile

I can just see Sasha jumping at the chance to warm up for Digweed.

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

dance music equivalent of K-Tel

Interesting.  I always assumed K-Tel was a Canadian thing.  It's nice to see they have global reach in their efforts for mediocrity.

deadhead wrote:

Which brings me to the question.. why do they need to play b2b ? Can't they just do.. Sasha opening for about 2 hours, and then John comes in and smashes for another 3-4hrs ?

In the days when they did play together, it went something like this:
1.  John shows up on time.  Sasha is nowhere to be seen or has missed the gig altogether/held back at the border.
2.  Sasha shows up completely off his box and mixes 6 tunes badly whilst barely being able to stand.
3.  Digweed finishes things off and holds it all together while Sasha was off in some make-believe closet hugging a cloud.

I've seen them plenty enough together and it was always John who was the better of the two - and still is.

Loopy absolutely destroying the forum this morning.

loopdokter wrote:

In the days when they did play together, it went something like this:
1.  John shows up on time.  Sasha is nowhere to be seen or has missed the gig altogether/held back at the border.
2.  Sasha shows up completely off his box and mixes 6 tunes badly whilst barely being able to stand.
3.  Digweed finishes things off and holds it all together while Sasha was off in some make-believe closet hugging a cloud.

I've seen them plenty enough together and it was always John who was the better of the two - and still is.

Either Loopy and me were at the same gigs, or this sort of thing used to happen a lot.

Pretty sure loopy has had a mental breakdown. Someone send him some fresh meds asap.

Part of the problem

What's the Sasha Mixmag cd like?

Top review right here:

Fluffy, with a few 'harder' tunes towards the end

Not offensive but not amazeballs but we cold have guessed that before listening to it couldn't we?

Guess who's back .......... 'Odgy's back

smallman1 wrote:

What's the Sasha Mixmag cd like?

It's not bad, if you liked his 6 mix then you'll probably like this as its quite similar sort of stuff

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

Either Loopy and me were at the same gigs, or this sort of thing used to happen a lot.

Sasha had the nickname of 'No Show Sasha' in Toronto for ages.

Mind you, he was probably just trying to avoid my turning up.

Let's take a moment to venture inside Loopy's brain:

http://www.simnet.org/resource/group/950373FF-9782-4EE3-9017-363262B96A39/images/torontoskyline.gif

http://www.toronto.ca/attractions/images/aerial_hanlen_large.jpg

http://hcp2010.physics.utoronto.ca/toronto_night_skyline.jpg

http://www.solschools.com/destinations/images/toronto.jpg

http://www.in-toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/toronto_skyline_980.jpg

http://www.legalfind.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Toronto2.jpg

http://www.mri.gov.on.ca/obr/wp-content/uploads/toronto-01.jpg

http://torontofishing.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/toronto.jpg

http://au.ziilch.com/content/au/images/P9010063cBiebr2Q.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01382/toronto-night_1382487c.jpg

Terrifying, I think we can all agree.

Lol @ Henry's Index reference