Re: Greatest club side ever?

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
Mr Boring wrote:

I agree, coming from two goals down to win in Turin and following it with two last minute goals in the final is hardly the stuff of fairytales

No, it's not. Liverpool being 0-3 down at half time against Milan and finding a way to win the Cup is a fairytale. Milan avenging that defeat against the same side in the final just two years later is a fairytale. Chelsea finding a way to beat a superior Barca team with 10 men last year was a fairytale and yes, Bayern appearing in three of the last four finals and finally overcoming the devastation of losing the previous two is a massive fucking fairytale for every one of the players who endured the heartbreak of repeatedly seeing that cup lifted by other people.

A wind up needs to be believable for it to work. FYI.

"Ban them, ban them alllllllllllllllllllllll" - Homegrove (April-2014)

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Usual sour grapes from a red who wants everyone to worship at the altar of '99. Just another football match in an ocean of great games I'm afraid Mr Fanboy.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Greatest club side ever?

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Usual sour grapes from a red who wants everyone to worship at the altar of '99. Just another football match in an ocean of great games I'm afraid Mr Fanboy.

Sour fucking grapes?  Jesus fucking Christ, LOL

Re: Greatest club side ever?

I will happily say that the 99 European Cup Final was the nadir of my sport-watching life.

So, to be fair, it must have been fucking amazing for some people.

草泥马

Re: Greatest club side ever?

I've always like Ajax - their 70s side has been mentioned a couple of times, but their 1995 side, although not being spectacular, were still pretty special, especially given the size of the club.

I used to genuinely admire Arsenal, but my view on that has changed recently.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Beijing Dave wrote:

I will happily say that the 99 European Cup Final was the nadir of my sport-watching life.

So, to be fair, it must have been fucking amazing for some people.

I hate Man Utd and Liverpool, but 99 and that comeback from Liverpool were amazing and, for whatever reason, I wanted both Ushited and Livercunt to win for those nights only.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Ajax and Holland - surely everyone's go-to second teams in European or International competition when your own side has been knocked out.

What is there to not like about them?

草泥马

Re: Greatest club side ever?

As an added bonus, the Germans fucking hate them too

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Meelan, Barca, Leeds.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Beijing Dave wrote:

I will happily say that the 99 European Cup Final was the nadir of my sport-watching life.

So, to be fair, it must have been fucking amazing for some people.


To be absolutely fair, me and my pal were jumping around my lounge like spastic monkeys when that second went in, but nadir of the sport-watching life?? Watching Bruno win the title on a big screen in a packed hotel lounge bar full of geezers was mental, I'll never forget that. Beckham's free kick against Greece was off the hook. Ronnie O'Sullivan's fastest ever maximum in '97...blown away watching that go down live. For me though, Coe winning the Olympic 1500m title in 1980 or even retaining in '84 were pure adrenaline even though I was just a kid. Best middle distance runner of all time imho even if he is a Tory fuckstick nowadays.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Greatest club side ever?

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

For me though, Coe winning the Olympic 1500m title in 1980 or even retaining in '84 were pure adrenaline even though I was just a kid. Best middle distance runner of all time imho even if he is a Tory fuckstick nowadays.

Despite having nothing what-so-fucking-ever to do with the great club football sides, Seb Coe did chuck in some epic performances, best of which, in my humble, was his 800m world record run in '81 that remained unbeaten for an unfeasibly long time and even now has only been bettered by much less than a second.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Myself and Mrs Dermot were talking about that only the other day. That record, when you consider the progression and understanding  of sports science, along with the availability and myriad of all substances banned, was and still is pretty amazing.

And you are right, only one person has bettered his time since. Maybe he was on the beans!

JFT 39

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Had Liverpool actually beaten Milan 4-3 in normal time I would concede that was a greater game than '99. Fortunately for me Rafa played 30 mins for peno's to sully that victory.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Credit where credit is due, Rafa knows how to win the European pots.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
Beijing Dave wrote:

I will happily say that the 99 European Cup Final was the nadir of my sport-watching life.

So, to be fair, it must have been fucking amazing for some people.


To be absolutely fair, me and my pal were jumping around my lounge like spastic monkeys when that second went in, but nadir of the sport-watching life?? Watching Bruno win the title on a big screen in a packed hotel lounge bar full of geezers was mental, I'll never forget that. Beckham's free kick against Greece was off the hook. Ronnie O'Sullivan's fastest ever maximum in '97...blown away watching that go down live. For me though, Coe winning the Olympic 1500m title in 1980 or even retaining in '84 were pure adrenaline even though I was just a kid. Best middle distance runner of all time imho even if he is a Tory fuckstick nowadays.

A nadir is an ultimate low point, Flaresy.

草泥马

Re: Greatest club side ever?

My sporting nadir is Arsenal's Invisibles.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Beijing Dave wrote:

A nadir is an ultimate low point, Flaresy.


Yes, I got confused, thought you were referring to the aphex of their achievement.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Greatest club side ever?

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
Beijing Dave wrote:

A nadir is an ultimate low point, Flaresy.


Yes, I got confused, thought you were referring to the aphex of their achievement.

The aphex of their achievement was signing Rafael and Fabio da Silva.

草泥马

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Big Fella wrote:

Had Liverpool actually beaten Milan 4-3 in normal time I would concede that was a greater game than '99. Fortunately for me Rafa played 30 mins for peno's to sully that victory.


So being outplayed for an entire match and fluking a win during injury time is superior to being outplayed for 45 but regrouping magnificently in the second half to psychologically destroy your opponents, through both open play and the test of mental strength which constitutes a penalty shootout? Have a word. '99 was a great moment but for sheer VFM the Dippers victory is off the charts.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Beijing Dave wrote:
flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
Beijing Dave wrote:

A nadir is an ultimate low point, Flaresy.


Yes, I got confused, thought you were referring to the aphex of their achievement.

The aphex of their achievement was signing Rafael and Fabio da Silva.


Hmmm, I'm not sure. That represents the tippex point in which their defensive frailties began imho.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Greatest club side ever?

It's all this kind of stuff that makes Liverpool FC the most storied football club in England! (Copyright Fox Sports)

草泥马

Re: Greatest club side ever?

Dermo wrote:

Myself and Mrs Dermot were talking about that only the other day. That record, when you consider the progression and understanding  of sports science, along with the availability and myriad of all substances banned, was and still is pretty amazing.

And you are right, only one person has bettered his time since. Maybe he was on the beans!

At the risk of being a pedantic cunt (?!) - I think Coe's 800m world record has been bettered by two people - Kipketer and Radisha.  But yeah, still pretty impressive when you consider the relative lumps taken off other records in the last 30 odd years.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

And don't forget, Coe was playing with a heavier ball on much worse pitches than today.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Greatest club side ever?

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

And don't forget, Coe was playing with a heavier ball on much worse pitches than today.

Lol.

Crikey.

Re: Greatest club side ever?

The current Long Jump and Triple Jump records stand out for me.

The long jump record is 22 years old and the previous record stood for 23 years before that. Similarly, the the triple jump record is 18 years old.

Reckon Jonathan Edwards was massively into his drugs.