Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Ill be pixilated and talk like an IRA warning.

Part of the problem

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Let's not get into what we will discuss on here, others might use it against us.

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

ha ha nice try big boy.

Part of the problem

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Two recent five pagers for Dave, see what coming back to Blighty does for you.

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

I'm around 5/10 on 1210's, not really used the cheap numark mixtrack pro I purchased to go digital, always mean to but just don't get round to it.

I was never able to do a full mix without errors so I guess that says everything but I only got 1210's due to my love of the music and the amount of vinyl I was buying back then, only ever played out twice, and second time was with Paul Louth.

I have some old mixes from the past as I haven't used the 1210's since around '06. Have had the mixtrack pro for around 2 years and used it around 4 times.

If anyone fancies a giggle let me know and I'll put up a mix or 2 on soundcloud for you to piss yourselves laughing at.

Mike.

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Dermot coming home hmmmmmmm......

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

The bullshit levels in this thread are off the charts.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Difficult question to answer...

If you're looking for a DJ that's 'technical' - all over his fx, cue-points, looping, samples, etc - then I'm not all that - 2/10

If you're after a DJ that can drop a track in the right place, bring up the fader and EQ the respective tracks in and out then I'm pretty solid on that - 7/10.

But the most important aspect of it ALL, for me anyway, is track selection and 'flow' - each of which is far more subjective than the previous two criteria. 

I used to spend untold hours recording and re-recording mixes till they were as technically 'perfect' as I could get them - some of my early 'internet-age' mixes I recorded well over a dozen times.  Nowadays I want my mixes to cover a range of tempo and styles so I spend all my time getting the tunes that fit exactly into what I want to play and then getting them to 'flow' to my liking - then I click record and do it once.

I'd rather put out a mix that has a couple of technical errors in but I was happy with the 'build and flow' of the tracks, than one that was 15 similar tracks all at very similar bpms and seamlessly mixed.  Consequently I'd score myself really high here 'cos I really like the 'build and flow' of all my mixes - but then I would, wouldn't I...?!

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Probably around a 7, there's a fair few mixes on my soundcloud page, so judge for yourselves.

Last edited by ryangibson (Thursday Aug 2013 08:47:19)

Ryan Gibson - Bushido Deep Podcast
iTunes / SoundCloud / Mixcloud / Facebook / Twitter

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

smashdad wrote:

Difficult question to answer...

If you're looking for a DJ that's 'technical' - all over his fx, cue-points, looping, samples, etc - then I'm not all that - 2/10

If you're after a DJ that can drop a track in the right place, bring up the fader and EQ the respective tracks in and out then I'm pretty solid on that - 7/10.

But the most important aspect of it ALL, for me anyway, is track selection and 'flow' - each of which is far more subjective than the previous two criteria. 

I used to spend untold hours recording and re-recording mixes till they were as technically 'perfect' as I could get them - some of my early 'internet-age' mixes I recorded well over a dozen times.  Nowadays I want my mixes to cover a range of tempo and styles so I spend all my time getting the tunes that fit exactly into what I want to play and then getting them to 'flow' to my liking - then I click record and do it once.

I'd rather put out a mix that has a couple of technical errors in but I was happy with the 'build and flow' of the tracks, than one that was 15 similar tracks all at very similar bpms and seamlessly mixed.  Consequently I'd score myself really high here 'cos I really like the 'build and flow' of all my mixes - but then I would, wouldn't I...?!

All this. Before I had to sell my gear.

*weeps uncontrollably then has a wank*

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

... as long as the technology holds up I'll be live online tomorrow from about 8pm - http://mixlr.com/smashdad/ - really hoping it all holds up 'cos there are some fantastic tunes around lately that I'm wanting to play...

smile

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

smashdad wrote:

... as long as the technology holds up I'll be live online tomorrow from about 8pm - http://mixlr.com/smashdad/ - really hoping it all holds up 'cos there are some fantastic tunes around lately that I'm wanting to play...

smile

will tune in

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Diminished Responsibility wrote:

You hit sync and you're sorted. hmm

If you just hit sync, then you automatically get a 0, Rhouses. This means you could sync Michael Jacksons 'Bad' with Maxime Dangles 'Jarten'. You'd still be a millions miles off sorted dont you think?

If you think all you have to do is hit sync with modern software and youre 'sorted' then youre a massive fuckin clown and you shouldnt be anywhere near a mixing station.

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Extra lolz when I read that.

Dermo wrote:

Want to know what i'm like, then hop on a plane and find out where I play.


You are an even bigger cunt than you make out to be.  I had until recently spent many in years living in Sydney and anyone that knows their onions there will know exactly how small the scene is, especially in respect to nights that book DJ's who play good music. There are 3 or 4 decent nights and that is it. I am good friends with the people that run them all and you are certainly not playing at any of them that's for sure.

So run along back to your garage and dust of the those 1210's and come back join us when you have finished playing in fantasyland.

As someone pointed out earlier you are most definitely all fart and no poo.

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

im assuming this thread should only count people who can mix on 1210s?

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Agreed, Progged.

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

starcreeper wrote:
Diminished Responsibility wrote:

You hit sync and you're sorted. hmm

If you just hit sync, then you automatically get a 0, Rhouses. This means you could sync Michael Jacksons 'Bad' with Maxime Dangles 'Jarten'. You'd still be a millions miles off sorted dont you think?

If you think all you have to do is hit sync with modern software and youre 'sorted' then youre a massive fuckin clown and you shouldnt be anywhere near a mixing station.

Yeah. This.

I would give myself a semi respectable 6 on shoddy 1210s with major drift and I'm just starting on the whole digital thing. Even with synch on (which I'm not always using) as smashy says, it's all about flow and blending with the EQ and FX alongside decent track selection and... urgh... 'programming'. I do tend to loop things a bit, force of habit from when I had a cycloops.

It's all good, clean fun and the perfect bit of escapism.

------------
I am STILL a child of the 80s mix: https://soundcloud.com/themills23/i-am- … of-the-80s

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Phil Istine wrote:

Extra lolz when I read that.

Dermo wrote:

Want to know what i'm like, then hop on a plane and find out where I play.


You are an even bigger cunt than you make out to be.  I had until recently spent many in years living in Sydney and anyone that knows their onions there will know exactly how small the scene is, especially in respect to nights that book DJ's who play good music. There are 3 or 4 decent nights and that is it. I am good friends with the people that run them all and you are certainly not playing at any of them that's for sure.

So run along back to your garage and dust of the those 1210's and come back join us when you have finished playing in fantasyland.

As someone pointed out earlier you are most definitely all fart and no poo.

And you're a cunt hiding behind an alias. Just because you don't hang round with the first class tossers in the 'in crowd' doesn't mean you don't know the good people. I met most of the twats youre probably on about and my idea of hell is hanging round with all those wannabee cunts with absolutely no foundation in music other than wanting to wank big name dj's off when they visit. Its probably why you fit in so quickly.
I play mainly bars and party's and am booked regularly for one off events. Big events that attract 1000's including the festivals.
So go and fucking do one sunshine.

Part of the problem

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

A set of 1210's would almost certainly remove 90% of the people who reckon they can mix.

Rhouses is actually right in some respect. During the transition from vinyl to digi I saw a myriad of regular trainwrecking wanker's without a clue on vinyl all of a sudden become adept mixers and miraculously learn to mix in key and no wrecking at all.
With technology at hand lets face it, even a cunt like SimonR could knock up a handy Digweed tribute mix so it really is no big deal.

1210s = men from the boys. People who spent time to learn something hard and technical.

Last edited by Dermo (Thursday Aug 2013 17:46:33)

Part of the problem

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

I only ever had 1200s as opposed to 1210s but yeah, I completely agree.

In my experience, if you've learnt to beat-match on vinyl then you'll make the transition to digital no problem whatsoever - within ten minutes most people are saying how much easier it is. 

Conversely if you learn to beat-match on digital then you'll not necessarily find playing vinyl as straightforward - exactly the same principles but an entirely different feel.

Having said all that it's a moot fucking point...

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

I taught a mate to mix on cdj1000s mk2's from scratch and he picked it up quite quickly. Put him on vinyl and he couldn't do it at all. Don't know if that is even relevant haha

Part of the problem

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Just want to get this in for the closet Aussie alias

When I got to Sydney I arrived with 5/6000 of my records in tow. Cost me a fortune. At first i tried to get into the scene with the said wanker's. Exactly what you'd expect happened in a nation of people insecure and protective of their territory. Tall poppy syndrome its called.
I had better equipment and better tunes and most of them came round and shuffled through my tunes and were like pigs in shit. But then it dawned on them that they might lose money. Yep all they thought about was the money. It quickly, after a few plays out, became apparent I was getting frozen out. I didn't get one booking. Fuck all. Even though I had loads of positive feedback. I still remember after my 2nd night a guy coming up and saying you're not from round here are you? You can tell, all your music is fresh. They didn't like It, they didn’t like I hoyked my xone 92 about with me and didn't like i had a box of latest tracks from the uk which juno and my mate sent me at great expense. Jealous as fuck the cunts were.

So I duly fucked them all off and let them have their pathetic little arse clown ring to protect. Found an events company that were responsible for most of the bigger gigs that come around annually and put my name down. Then went round bar after bar asking if i could just play an hour or so. I also do the odd fashion show for a friend and a couple of yearly art exhibitions.
You don't have to be a member of the Sydney wanker fest to play out regularly to a high standard and get paid well. Away from the club scene is miles better. The world doesn't revolve around 4 shitty clubs in Sydney.
I've met loads of good people and incidentally the same people who are audiogeeks and bang into their music. Most who still collect vinyl and most who know their tunes inside out right back to soul and R&B. People who are passionate about it rather than being a horrible little cunt in the Sydney 'Scene' which is about as false and money greedy as you'll ever see. Full of absolute fucking cunts with zero music knowledge.

Anyhow case closed plus I distinctly remember posting similar to this on GU when I first got here 9 years ago.

Last edited by Dermo (Thursday Aug 2013 18:55:35)

Part of the problem

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Dermo - I'm out and about in the Harbour City this weekend. 

If you're playing out let me know and I'll be happy to provide some independent verification of your skills on the ones and twos to the board.

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Wasn't if you I told where I played? Might have been Mr nail.
Hope to be doing a couple of things in the coming months, never do the harbour.
Doing a couple of corporate events in November too that you could crash.

Part of the problem

Re: Honestly appraise your djing skills here

Post a mix already you miserable cunt bagger.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.