Topic: Cop charged with murder from YouTube video

I'm not sure if this story gained any traction overseas, but here this has been really big news as a result of this video.  I do forwarn you if you haven't seen this and don't want to see a kid get pumped full of bullets, best not look:

There's been multiple videos to emerge from this whole thing and today he made an appearance in court after being charged with 2nd degree murder by the SIU.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s … arged.html

Re: Cop charged with murder from YouTube video

He should probably have dropped the knife then

erik.b wrote:

It's clear he was in mental distress though.  He wasn't harming anyone and was in a closed-off area.  I'm of the opinion this could have been dealt with better.  After the 9 shots, they tazed him as he laid dying.

loopdokter wrote:
erik.b wrote:

It's clear he was in mental distress though.  He wasn't harming anyone and was in a closed-off area.  I'm of the opinion this could have been dealt with better.  After the 9 shots, they tazed him as he laid dying.

why didn't they just tazer him from the off then?

seems somewhat barbaric to shoot him then tazer him.

erik.b wrote:

why didn't they just tazer him from the off then?

seems somewhat barbaric to shoot him then tazer him.

I'm sure that will come out in the trial.  In Toronto, only police staff sergeants carry tazers.  According to a copper acquaintance of mine, there's an element of risk tazing someone with a weapon because it has to hit the mark... In that time frame, the person can lunge at you if you miss the target.

Considering there were 22 officers at the scene, they could have probably started with talking first instead of escalating the situation to the point where their sidearms were drawn.

Just like having a Toronto RSS ticker.

loopdokter wrote:

According to a copper acquaintance of mine, there's an element of risk tazing someone with a weapon because it has to hit the mark... In that time frame, the person can lunge at you if you miss the target.

lol, yeah Loopy, the same cant be said for a normal firearm as you can be aiming anywhere, pull the trigger and still hit your intended target.

Does your copper friend enjoy policing first graders on his segway?

Big Fella wrote:

It was more the topic than where it happened.  I would have been interested in this no matter where it happened.

starcreeper wrote:

lol, yeah Loopy, the same cant be said for a normal firearm as you can be aiming anywhere, pull the trigger and still hit your intended target.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying?

Apparently there's some '15 foot rule' you're taught as an officer in training for these types of situations.  I didn't say I agreed with him and that statement.  He was suggesting it was dealt with correctly and I was saying it wasn't.

loopdokter wrote:

You said theres an element of risk using a tazer because it has to "hit its mark". Cant the same be said of any firearm?

The 15 foot rule is bollocks too, unless the assailant can actually fly (similar to Superman) towards you, 5 or 6 feet gives you plenty of room and time to bury a bullet in the cunt or a tazer in his gut.

Last edited by starcreeper (Tuesday Aug 2013 11:35:36)

loopdokter wrote:
starcreeper wrote:

Apparently there's some '15 foot rule' you're taught as an officer in training for these types of situations.  I didn't say I agreed with him and that statement.  He was suggesting it was dealt with correctly and I was saying it wasn't.

the 15 foot rule, which is actually 21 foot aka the tueller drill,  is the distance at which someone could with a knife could run at and  stab an officer before the officer could unholster his/her gun and get off a shot, estimated at between 1.7 and 2.6 seconds.  this included the time to realize that "hey, some armed fucko is running at me with a knife".

Using a taser at this distance on a charging subject is considered a serious mistake as it will probably not incapacitate the suspect in time. even a gun will require an arterial or spinal hit to incapacitate a charging suspect in this range.

Any girl that can't distinguish between her grandmother and a wolf is either as dense as teak or comes from a really ugly family

Is that loopy wishing he was from Toronto again? Oh yes.

Part of the problem

Snowstorm beat me to it ^ Very correct of you.

A regular Harry and Lloyd here...Loopy and starcreeper having their moment.

Last edited by furry (Tuesday Aug 2013 16:14:59)

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

snowstorm wrote:

Using a taser at this distance on a charging subject is considered a serious mistake as it will probably not incapacitate the suspect in time. even a gun will require an arterial or spinal hit to incapacitate a charging suspect in this range.

Where do you get this shit from? Once the tazer goes in, the suspect goes down. 100% of the time. Even suspects who have just eaten a plate of PCP.

A highly trained police officer, who most likely has done a tour of Iraq or Afghanistan, could put an assailant down with a chest shot, headshot, or bullet to the gut, within this range.

You and your sister Furry have been watching too much Discovery Channel.

furry is still high from the cock he received at cochanela .

Part of the problem

starcreeper wrote:

Once the tazer goes in, the suspect goes down. 100% of the time.

I would suggest you take an actual class then. Force on Force, Defensive Knife, etc.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Canada is a weird place. I don't understand why they shot him, he isn't black?

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

furry wrote:

I would suggest you take an actual class then. Force on Force, Defensive Knife, etc.

Steady now Rex Kwan Do.

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

loopy clearly said that it showed a kid getting pumped full off bullets? I only saw a load of pigs firing into a bus.
Nice try to big it up though loops. Maybe get your 'copper mate' to do us a proper vid and not something youve tried to sensationalise.

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:

furry is still high from the cock he received at cochanela .

Cochanela?

Cochanela, just outside Coachella.

Part of the problem

loopdokter wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

It was more the topic than where it happened.  I would have been interested in this no matter where it happened.

That is absolute bunkum Jay, and you know it.

Dermo wrote:

loopy clearly said that it showed a kid getting pumped full off bullets? I only saw a load of pigs firing into a bus.
Nice try to big it up though loops. Maybe get your 'copper mate' to do us a proper vid and not something youve tried to sensationalise.

Seriously Loopy. The video had fuck all action.

This is how to use a Tazer

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-06-18/t … es/1324396

It hadn't malfunctioned and obviously being in Queensland the pig got away with it.

Last edited by Dermo (Wednesday Aug 2013 01:12:01)

Part of the problem