Topic: Decent headphones

Any audio nerds on here got decent over ear headphones suggestions? Not necessarily for DJing or producing, mainly for sitting on the train. somewhere around the £100-150 mark, but more if there's something particularly great out there.

Aesthetically I want them to be bright pink and huge so I look like a total cunt with my Disclosure haircut. (I actually want them black or grey or something normal). Cheers.

Re: Decent headphones

The AIAIAI? Was thinking about picking up a pair. Been using the Technics 1210 for the past couple of years - love them, but a bit too chunky for non-DJing purposes.

Have you ever worn the TMA studio ones? They don't look especially comfy. Probably a bit too big to sit on a train with and not look like a tool. The DJ ones look pretty smart, anyone got any ideas on the sound quality?

If you are looking for pure sound quality then the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 ohms are pretty amazing for the money, IMO. Flat response, pure sound etc etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0016MNAAI

Anyone suggesing a set of Beats deserves a slap.

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

sabotini wrote:

Have you ever worn the TMA studio ones? They don't look especially comfy. Probably a bit too big to sit on a train with and not look like a tool. The DJ ones look pretty smart, anyone got any ideas on the sound quality?

Nah, haven't tried out the studio ones. The DJ ones remind me of the Sennheiser HD 25. The cups are a bit small, so you do wonder how much is being blocked out - but otherwise, really comfy, light and a clean bass heavy sound.

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

Anyone suggesing a set of Beats deserves a slap.

Beats would probably deserve a slap, but Monster stuff in general is pretty good man.

..was well impressed with the AIAIAI TMA1

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

my Sony MDR-V700s are still going strong in terms of audio output but are knackered in terms of headband, ear cup covers, and joints

have been looking at getting replacement and for the price it's hard to look beyond Sony MDR-V55 which are sub £50 but still receiving 4 star reviews

check out my hearthis.at page

i'm too old for this shit

Unbroken1 wrote:

Studio or DJ? No doubt the Beyers are awesome but they look real ugly. They scream "I'm smugly listening to Vivaldi".

...are there 2 models? if so I wasn't aware, I don't own them, only had a listen. Personally I don't use over-ears when I'm out-and-about. I'll deffo be considering them next time I'm in the market for some studio/DJ'ing cans though

A colleague (who's a pro dubbing editor and knows his shit) uses them on his iPhone for his commute and reckons they are the best he's owned

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

sabotini wrote:
Unbroken1 wrote:

Studio or DJ? No doubt the Beyers are awesome but they look real ugly. They scream "I'm smugly listening to Vivaldi".

One of the benefits of the Beyers is that they are open back, so you can annoy everyone on the train whilst you listen to your Holden collection.

LOL at anybody listening to music through MDR-V700s. They're for DJing, you clowns (i.e. Strudders).

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

LOL at anybody listening to music through MDR-V700s. They're for DJing, you clowns (i.e. Strudders).

to my old and battered ears it all sounds the same - lol

check out my hearthis.at page

i'm too old for this shit

Sennheiser HD280 Pros have done me well the last few years. A bit big to lug around though if you're wanting something you can have round your neck during downtime.

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

And what exactly about the sacred art of DJing means the MDR-V700s are in some way useless for simply listening to music?!

shaunstrudwick wrote:

my Sony MDR-V700s are still going strong in terms of audio output but are knackered in terms of headband, ear cup covers, and joints

Couple of years ago mine were completely fucked as well - quick Google search, small tube of super-glue and a trip up the road to B&Q for some mini cable-ties and they're still going strong... 
smile

sabotini wrote:

Any audio nerds on here got decent over ear headphones suggestions? Not necessarily for DJing or producing, mainly for sitting on the train. somewhere around the £100-150 mark, but more if there's something particularly great out there.

In all honesty mate, for a budget of £150, to listen to music on the train, you're better off with some quality in-ear jobbies rather than a pair of big old cans that always makes you look like a bit of a daft cunt and don't give you even remotely better sound.

smashdad wrote:
sabotini wrote:

In all honesty mate, for a budget of £150, to listen to music on the train, you're better off with some quality in-ear jobbies rather than a pair of big old cans that always makes you look like a bit of a daft cunt and don't give you even remotely better sound.

I've had enough of in-ear ones, I've spent a fair amount of cash on them the last few years and they constantly break and it's driving me mad so I want something a bit sturdier. I'm not expecting a Funktion One on my head for £150, just something fairly solid and bassy.

Those TMA1 DJs look a good fit, the Beyers not being closed back is a bit of a non-starter for public usage.

sabotini wrote:

I've had enough of in-ear ones, I've spent a fair amount of cash on them the last few years and they constantly break and it's driving me mad so I want something a bit sturdier.

Are you some kind of clumsy cunt?

Yea pretty much. I drove over one pair.

Grado is what you're looking for.

Not sure how you feel about the close back design but..
http://us.akg.com/akg-product-detail_us/k-172-hd.html

I bought the lady this..http://us.akg.com/akg-product-detail_us/k514-mkii.html
Really nice sounding cans. They're unbelievably light too.

Last edited by furry (Thursday Aug 2013 15:21:43)

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Agree with smashdad here sabs... you should get in-ears for travel etc. I had a pair of etymotics which were amazing, unfortunately I started using them on my runs and they got fucked with sweat.

I use the bose in-ears at work now: http://www.boseindia.com/retail/bose-pr … Nav_Id=647

And these sweat proof bad boys for my runs, admittedly I do look like a bit of a ponce with the fluorescent - but the sound is great and they really are sweat proof! http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-680 … mp;ie=UTF8

Also, heard nothing but good things about these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ … 20Turbines

Sorry, this is probably all irrelevant to the thread... but thought I'd share.

Diminished Responsibility wrote:

I started using them on my runs.

Crikey Rhouses.

sabotini wrote:

I own a pair of the Studio ones and they're alright.  Not overly comfortable, but not intolerable either.  The sound quality is good, if a bit lacking in the bass-end.  That said, they're supposed to be a flat response heaphone so you get what it says on the tin.

Last edited by loopdokter (Friday Aug 2013 15:56:40)

Long shot but has anyone here used the AKG K702 or K612? I'm looking to get something new from them.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.