Re: Danny Howells - Balance 24

so gus doesn't like the comp because danny howells is rusty like a robot in need of oil?

Amps wrote:

That Rosetta Stone dvd is going back.

Lol

Think the problem is that Gus doesn't understand Manc slang....

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

OK. First things first, the beauty of music is that it creates and divides opinion.

I have followed dance since the early days, and have in my CD collection over 600 CDs from the likes of Digweed, Sasha, Nick Warren, Oakenfold, Steve Lawler. I have all the Balance CDs, all the Global Undergrounds, have all the Northern Exposures/Communicates etc. Point is I feel I have a position in which to gauge the overall standard of this mix.

Also worth noting that I have seen the man himself on a number of occasions, and I concur with others his energy, passion and knowledge are unquestionable.

To the mix itself. Personally I prefer the more progressive, deep side of house. I am not a fan at all of the minimalist electro sound that has graced much of the mix releases in the past few years. I am more Nick Warren and Hernan Cattaneo's latest Renaissance (uplifting progressive as well as the down tempo mixes on both discs).

Having listened to the Howells mix 3 times now, I have to say other than maybe one or two tracks on CD 2 I am left pretty underwhelmed. I too was looking forward to this with eager anticipation, however I find the mixes lacked any energy, depth, passion, substance. It all felt a little to over complicated and over thought.

Anyone liking this to Northern Exposure and the like is well off the mark. The first CD ambles along from electro to down beat house and minimalist house, and like most complilations these days I had this as the more chilled out mixes that accompany many double disk compilations.

Moving onto disc 2 I anticipated more energy, more substance, but frankly it was more of the same. It does begin to get going towards the end of disc 2, however by that stage after 2 hours of "build up" the set is over before it got going.

If you are reading this and are more into this sound than mine, I would suggest listening to Henry Saiz's efforts to get a good benchmark of the possibilities.

Personally, when I compare this to other Balance releases, such as Nick Warren's Nic Fancuilli's I find Danny's release as pale in comparison, which is a real real shame, as I have a massive amount of time for his DJ ing.

interesting review there.

I have been in two minds about buying this as I wasn't that impressed with the preview snippets and checking the tracks out separately wasn't that inspiring either.

the 'official' reviews I have seen have made it out to be great which made me think that he done something amazing with the tracks in the mix.

think I will give this a miss then.

Just buy it, its good. Or failing that its on Spotify give it a blast on there

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

matttymm wrote:

Point is I feel I have a position in which to gauge the overall standard of this mix.

that's comforting to know Matt, wouldn't want any old cunt offering their tuppence worth eh?

Whos liking it to Northern Exposure ffs?

Given that most posts I read on here end up with someone slagging off someone's mum then I thought I would assert myself as a knowledge expert.

For the record though, my mum has slept with everyone and almost certainly most of you.

I was reading some of the "reviews" on Amazon, and that prompted me to post my review.  Thought I would share it with you lot given the effort of cutting and pasting.

I was hoping that it might help inform those with an interest and in the potential of some interesting discussions

Nick Sneddon wrote:

p1....hyperbolic shit

Matty is entitled to his opinion lads, ffs.

Nick Sneddon wrote:

The Product Description on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Balance-024-Mix … alance+024

Big Fella wrote:

Matty is entitled to his opinion lads, ffs.

undoubtedly, especially with over 600 CDs to lend weight to his credibility

Anyone got anything constructive to say about the mix?

loopdokter wrote:
millsy23 wrote:

Was it you who introduced Aoki to the DJing merits of the trampoline Loopy?

I taught him how to be purple and muscular.

lol

Not been able to sit down and have a proper, good old, Bedrock chin stroking session yet.  Been listening to it in fits and starts so far.

For me, it's not really deep enough and a bit too much on the electronica side.  But i do need to listen to it a bit more first before really judging.

So just fucking ignore me as per.

Last edited by Yant (Tuesday Dec 2013 09:08:13)

I'm going to buy this.

The Howeller has never let me down, apart from the few times he has let me down.

matttymm wrote:

Given that most posts I read on here end up with someone slagging off someone's mum then I thought I would assert myself as a knowledge expert.

For the record though, my mum has slept with everyone and almost certainly most of you.

I've been into dance music since about 1992 and have 4 times the amount of CDs you've got. I think the mix is okay, but not all that.

That Nicco "It's Over" (Oxia Remix) is a belter mind.

Ive got my prog credentials thanks, I just cant be fucking arsed writing a long review is all

Nick Sneddon wrote:

Ive got my prog credentials thanks, I just cant be fucking arsed writing a long review is all

Word on the street is you only have <400 dance music compilation CDs Snedders.

You sham.

------------
Millsy , you're a board titan and beyond mere platitudes. Your contribution speaks for itself.

niton (Oct 14)

Anyone who doesn't like this Howells effort is an absolute babylon.

smallman1 wrote:

babylon.

?

zoo = poo?

Having heard music before I too am an expert on such matters.

Ask away folks.

Owning cds is very 1980s.

Just listened to his transistions guest mix and have had my mind changed again and will be buying this smile