Topic: Festive Mix Swap

Right then, with a huge nod to another forum for providing the idea, I hereby propose the Bedrock Board's first Festive Mix Swap.  Who's in?!

In anticipation of some perfectly reasonable questions;

Q: How will it work?
A: Put your name down here (suggested deadline 8pm GMT on Sunday 15th) and start giving some thought to your mix.  I will then organise a draw of all names into pairs and publish them in this thread on Monday 16th.  It is then up to each pair to make contact, finish and swap their respective mixes.  Easy.

Q: How should we swap mixes?
A: As suits each of you - uploading your mix is going to be most popular but CDs could also be burnt and posted.

Q: When should we swap mixes by?
A: Nothing hard and fast but try and get it done by the end of the year.

Q: How long should my mix be?
A: Entirely up to you - somewhere between 1 and 2 hours will be most common.

Q: Does my 'mix' have to be beat matched?
A: No, not at all.  If you want to send a 'mix-tape' type selection then that's perfectly acceptable.

Q: How should I do my mix?
A: Any way you want.  Anything from a recorded Windows Media Player playlist to  hiring a studio and engineer is acceptable.

Q: Do I have to supply a tracklist?
A: No - but they're generally appreciated.

Q: I'm really pleased with my mix - can I also upload it elsewhere after sharing it?
A: In an ideal world you're doing this mix for the individual you're paired with - it's a much their mix as it is yours - neither party should share their mixes onward without agreement - if the pair of you agree though then yeah share away!

Q: Does my mix have to be a new one done specifically for this swap?
A: Ideally yes but let your conscience be your guide - ultimately it's the thought behind the gift that counts!

Q: Does my mix have to be 'themed' in some way?
A: No.  Play whatever you like - with some thought given to your recipient maybe.  Given the nature of the Bedrock Board it's entirely possible that your recipient will already have heard lots of The Year's Biggest Tunes so feel free to step off the beaten track and play whatever you want, old/new, dance/pop, hip-hop/classical, minimal techno/good - or knockout a mix of this month's Beatport Top Ten if that's what you're feeling.

Q: What will happen if there's an odd number of names who enter?!
A: The last group drawn will be a group of three who will simply have to send their mixes to two people and receive two in return.

Q: It's January 2014 and I've still not received my mix, can I shame my selfish 'other half' on the board?!
A: Yes, shaming in such circumstances is obligatory!

If any other (sensible) questions arise that need addressing I'll edit to include them above but, for now, that's it - over to you - who's in for the inaugural Bedrock Board Festive Mix Swap?!

*pint drinking smiley*

Re: Festive Mix Swap

i'm in

kibble, kibble, who's got the kibble

latest mix (edit): https://soundcloud.com/shaunstrudwick/b … -never-mix
latest mix (full): http://mixswap.betfailproject.com/m/Bet … er-Mix.mp3

Nrat

I'm in!

shaunstrudwick wrote:

i'm in

faible wrote:

I'm in!

Good work - that's the minimum needed... smile

Big Fella wrote:

Nrat

No idea what that means Fella - you going to grace the Swap with your inimitable presence?

In

Count me in

c310 dance music CDs in his collection (Apr 2014)

erik.b wrote:

In

millsy23 wrote:

Count me in

Good work lads.

Splendid.

Count me in.......whoever gets me, hope you like 2step UK garage

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

chuffer wrote:

Count me in...

That's six of us.  smile

More...

It takes me about 2 years to actually get a mix done these days. hmm

Presto wrote:

Mate - don't be daft...

With respect Simon, you're not Sasha.  And even he couldn't justify the amount of time taken to release some 'mixes'. 

The minimum it can take to do a two hour mix is two hours.  And anything very much more than that is too long in my humble. 

Mate, load up a reasonable variety of tunes one evening and just hit record and see how you get on.  smile

Make it a Festive Wife Swap and I'm in. Or I'll swap her for a mix. PM me for more info.

Wait, so it can compiled, arranged and unmixed?

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

furry wrote:

I'm easy mate, honestly.

La Nausee wrote:

Make it a Festive Wife Swap and I'm in. Or I'll swap her for a mix. PM me for more info.

If anything's ever going to make Presto get a mix done in less than two years...

furry wrote:

Yes mate.  Absolutely.

For what it's worth mine is unlikely to be 100% beatmixed - there is no reason whatsoever why anybody shouldn't put 90 minutes of unmixed music together and swap it.

La Nausee wrote:
furry wrote:

I'm easy mate, honestly.

lol...much appreciated Nausee. No need to complicate things right.

smashdad wrote:
Presto wrote:

Mate - don't be daft...

With respect Simon, you're not Sasha.  And even he couldn't justify the amount of time taken to release some 'mixes'. 

The minimum it can take to do a two hour mix is two hours.  And anything very much more than that is too long in my humble. 

Mate, load up a reasonable variety of tunes one evening and just hit record and see how you get on.  smile

It's the problem with me and Ableton tbh. Stick a pair of 1210s (or CDJs) in front of me and it's a piece of piss. Ableton allows a level of detail that my brain is only too happy to dive in to... hence I spend on tiny things in a mix that nobody would really notice or appreciate. That and I get bored.... Ableton is incredibly unrewarding.

What mixes of yours have been done in Ableton Simon?

A fair few, in recent years, more due to the fact I have not had a place to set up my turntables than any other reason. Most mixes I do in Ableton I at least try and do something that is representative of what I'd do on the decks but it does also give you a bit of a freedom to add loops, fx and other things.

The last 'Non-Abletoned' mix I put out was in 2009. Again, through lack of choice than preference.

Some people notice those finer details if they're really listening. You've knocked out some nice mixes though Simon.

You're Summer 2012 is still on my ipod. Get with the festivities mang.

Last edited by furry (Wednesday Dec 2013 16:51:47)

Presto wrote:

It's the problem with me and Ableton tbh. Stick a pair of 1210s (or CDJs) in front of me and it's a piece of piss. Ableton allows a level of detail that my brain is only too happy to dive in to... hence I spend on tiny things in a mix that nobody would really notice or appreciate. That and I get bored.... Ableton is incredibly unrewarding.

The software cannot make you do anything you don't want to do mate - we're all different but the software is there for you to use in the way you want to.  I spent three months, on and off, on an Ableton mix arrangement once - ended up binning it eventually 'cos I felt it sounded unrealistic.  The last few Ableton mixes I did were pretty much in real-time - admittedly I pre-warped the tracks but then just pretty much put tracks into the order I wanted and applied some basic automations (fades and EQs) - a ninety minute mix would take maybe two hours.

furry wrote:

Some people notice those finer details if they're really listening. You've knocked out some nice mixes though Simon.

As long as someone out there appreciates it then I'm happy tbh. smile

Presto wrote:
furry wrote:

As long as someone out there appreciates it then I'm happy tbh. smile

So, you in for this Festive Swap malarkey or not?!