Re: Festive Mix Swap

smallman1 wrote:

Tone Loc - Wild Thing is so boss it's ridiculous.

I used to DJ at an old school night and it mixes in with Push It so perfectly.  That combo is a long-running 'trick' of mine.

Nu shooz mixed into Rob Base, musical highlight of the year so far for me

Filed under Reg

I've still got two hours to go of this fucking thing. It haunted my dreams last night. I was in a dark room and S'Express were playing a live PA. Then in walks Normski all nonchalant in his dungarees and Global Hypercolour T shirt and he's presenting my own private epiusode of Dance NRG right to me, in my face, with hand signals and everything.

And then Loppy barrel rolls in. And it's circa 2005 Loopy with an earring and a weird blond dyed bit of his hair at the front to cover up his advancing baldness. Then him and Normski just start kissing. Tongues and everything. And it's not at all sexual, it's like they're fighting. And then Loopy starts to cry, but it's the cry of a pregnant woman in labour. And I notice his earring has grown to the size of a beachball and inside the beachball is a foetus, and the foetus is growing so fast you can see features. And it's Tone Loc. And then I wake up sobbing.

So yeah, two hours to go.

millsy23 wrote:

I've still got two hours to go of this fucking thing. It haunted my dreams last night. I was in a dark room and S'Express were playing a live PA. Then in walks Normski all nonchalant in his dungarees and Global Hypercolour T shirt and he's presenting my own private epiusode of Dance NRG right to me, in my face, with hand signals and everything.

And then Loppy barrel rolls in. And it's circa 2005 Loopy with an earring and a weird blond dyed bit of his hair at the front to cover up his advancing baldness. Then him and Normski just start kissing. Tongues and everything. And it's not at all sexual, it's like they're fighting. And then Loopy starts to cry, but it's the cry of a pregnant woman in labour. And I notice his earring has grown to the size of a beachball and inside the beachball is a foetus, and the foetus is growing so fast you can see features. And it's Tone Loc. And then I wake up sobbing.

Superb work!

i wont be listening to it although I will tag it

'Now thats what I call ADD Vol 1.

Part of the problem

millsy23 wrote:

hahaha gen lol.

millsy23 wrote:

hahahaha, WTF haha

I've just got to s express and had to pause, its the first time i have ever listened to a mix in instalments. I have had to block out the diary this afternoon to finish it

Filed under Reg

Fucking lol, Millsy. Great work.

millsy23 wrote:

Fucking LOL!

Loops. I'VE FINISHED YOUR MIX!

Do I get a badge or a T shirt or something?

Really enjoyed a lot of it mate, lots of work went into it and really appreciated all the effort. Did you record in parts and stitch together because I would have had at least seven or eight wanks and would have watched two episodes of Homes Under the Hammer by the third hour myself.

Great stuff all round.

Dermo wrote:

i wont be listening to it although I will tag it

'Now thats what I call ADD Vol 1.

'Tis a shame Dermotron.  It might actually put a smile on your face for once, you miserable old curmudgeon.

BedRob wrote:

Nu shooz mixed into Rob Base, musical highlight of the year so far for me

That's another long-standing 'trick' of mine from the old school night I used to DJ at.  I fucking LOVE Nu Shooz.

You have more tricks than David Blaine, Jase.

pulling more tricks than a Soho whore eh Loops, I trust it was all re-edited, remixed and re-mastered?

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

millsy23 wrote:

Post of the year so far. 

That said, I'll pass on playing tongue-hockey with Normski.  You clearly have some other things going on. wink

millsy23 wrote:

Loops. I'VE FINISHED YOUR MIX!

Do I get a badge or a T shirt or something?

Really enjoyed a lot of it mate, lots of work went into it and really appreciated all the effort. Did you record in parts and stitch together because I would have had at least seven or eight wanks and would have watched two episodes of Homes Under the Hammer by the third hour myself.

Great stuff all round.

Thanks mate.  Much appreciated.

***Warning, geekery and egotism contained below.  Ignore if you can't handle that sort of thing.

[start] I did it all in Ableton and warped all of the tracks individually...  Some of the tracks with live drummers were a real chore getting them to snap to time, so individual tracks took upwards of 15 minutes or so each to get them to jive properly to a quantised grid.  Interestingly, the older hip hop had some of the most sloppy timing I've ever seen in tracks - probably due to their use of samples.

From that point I started putting tracks together loosely based on their genre, but more importantly tempo since I wanted it all to flow somewhat logically.  Years ago when I was DJing with vinyl at some of my residencies, this is how I would approach DJing.   

I did it all as one project in Ableton.  Stitching it together would have been a fucking nightmare with all of the tempo changes that take place.  In total I reckon there's probably about fifty hours of work put in.  It took several months to put it all together and cost my missus' sanity as she heard each track over and over again.  She now weeps each time she hears Nu Shooz. [/end] 

For your accomplishments in completing it I will award you a golden star, but I don't deliver.  You'll have to collect when you're on your next Best of British And1 Mixtape tour.

I think Loopy should be made a moderator for his effort on this.

chuffer wrote:

pulling more tricks than a Soho whore eh Loops, I trust it was all re-edited, remixed and re-mastered?

I didn't remaster shit.  Too many tracks to master the mix as a whole without throwing another 50 hours into it.  There's a few re-edits in there to help with the flow, but for the most part I tried to let tracks stand.

I disappeared up my own arse in terms of putting it all together, but I didn't end up doing it so much that I threw myself back up.  As it stands I still want to tweak things.

Big Fella wrote:

Standing in the middle of a box for days on end, hovering above a crowd isn't a trick.  It's just acting like a cunt.  It's sort of like spending 50 hours on a mix for a bunch of middle-aged men whose punting days consist of going to Renaissance in Mansfield in 1993 and whinging about anything else that's come along since.

Ahh, right.  I see what you did there.  Clever.

Big Fella wrote:

haha, i second that motion!!!

I have only 2 and a a half hours more of the mix to listen to, i dont know what i am gonna do when its finished!!!

Filed under Reg

loopdokter wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

Standing in the middle of a box for days on end, hovering above a crowd isn't a trick.  It's just acting like a cunt.  It's sort of like spending 50 hours on a mix for a bunch of middle-aged men whose punting days consist of going to Renaissance in Mansfield in 1993 and whinging about anything else that's come along since.

Ahh, right.  I see what you did there.  Clever.

haha, Loppy has come out swinging!!!

Filed under Reg

Big Fella wrote:

Sorry, I'd rather spend my free time putting together Opus II and whinging about how things were better in 1993.

loopdokter wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

Sorry, I'd rather spend my free time putting together Opus II and whinging about how things were better in 1993.

Don't let Dermo get you down mate, the rest of the board have you down as an MVP.

Big Fella wrote:

Don't let Dermo get you down mate, the rest of the board have you down as an MVP.

Dermo is the least of my worries.  When it comes to his judgement on music and his repeated lack of contributions, he's akin to the cunts who whinge about the government yet don't vote.

The point is I don't want to be a mod.

I am now a fuly paid up member of the loopy fan club, trampolining aside, the boy has minerals!!!

Filed under Reg