Topic: Britpop.....did I miss something?

Was trawling around Itunes last night looking for a decent documentary to watch and stumbled upon this http://thehandofcountpetofi.wordpress.c … f-britpop/

True this was made in the early noughties so the afterglow was probably still apparent, but christ talk about licking their own cocks. Alburn, Cocker, Hurst and some editor of Loaded banging on about how they changed the country and turned it into the style capital of the world.

As the 90s was the decade I first started going out, starting in 1990 through Uni and into the big wide world, not sure I would necessarily agree.

To me Britpop was the commercial progression of The Roses/Mondays. Watered down and mainstream, it certainly didn't have the impact of albums such as Sgnt Peppers or Piper at the gates of Dawn. Just the natural progression from Joy division, to The smiths, to the roses to Britpop.

Looking back, I do remember there being a bit of a division between house and indie during the mid 90s, very different to the era of the roses/Mondays when everyone was into everything. At Uni we used to call the indie kids "roll with its" and cane them massively . Also vice versa, with the commercial house turd hitting the charts around then not helping our cause!

We were aware of what was happening outside the dance industry, but there was so much better music to buy around that period. Post club it was portishead, massive attack and fsol. Never oasis. As discussed on previous posts, the heavenly social was not the updated upstairs at Land of Oz it was hyped up to be. The clientele just were too boozed/coked and indie whenever I ended up there.

Suppose the fact Britpop imploded up its coke fueled arse around 98 sums it all up. I would say the influence of dance culture on the uk has had far more far reaching and beneficial implications on our culture than Britpop ever did. A fact overlooked all too often IMHO .

Re: Britpop.....did I miss something?

Marcus,

You're being fairly ridiculous here.

No Britpop album had the impact of Sgt Peppers? WHAT DID?!!?!? Apart from Sgt Peppers?

I was at school in that era. Actually, you are kind of right about the tribal divisions - people tended to be into dance music and some hip-hop OR indie (and there were a few metallers who didn't really fit in anywhere). The Oasis vs Blur thing was kind of bollocks because almost everyone I knew who was into Definitely Maybe also had Parklife, and most people in my year who went to Maine Road were also going to see Blur, Pulp, Elastica and all the other Britpop bands around the same time.

草泥马

There were also Wiggers who everyone thought were ridiculous.

草泥马

Britpop was fucking shite and brought shame onto our great nation.

Delete the thread quick sharp.

I reckon Marcus has got another night coming up...

wrong Marcus

I hung out with Paul Jones from Elastica at a wedding in Colombia in May.

Top lad, Chelsea fan and a mahoosive KLANG.

You have absolutely no shame do you Ed?

I was like a pig in shit in the early 90s, indie as my first choice in music, slipping quite quickly into dance. Anything Blur did after Parklife is shit and Oasis only did one good album, their first.

Grant wrote:

I was like a pig in shit in the early 90s, indie as my first choice in music, slipping quite quickly into dance. Anything Blur did after Parklife is shit and Oasis only did one good album, their first.

Agree about Oasis.

Disagree about Blur - a few of the songs on The Great Escape were class (e.g. Best Days).

草泥马

MattBlack wrote:

You have absolutely no shame do you Ed?

Loopy never stood a chance.

Britpop was gash

Beijing Dave wrote:
Grant wrote:

Agree about Oasis.

Disagree about Blur - a few of the songs on The Great Escape were class (e.g. Best Days).

Yeah, the odd tune from Blur was a cracker with Best Days being one of them, but their albums were poor on the whole in my view.

I remember an interview with Noel Gallagher and he said that one of the tracks from their first album they actually nicked the riff from the old Coca Cola song from the 70's, this one

Have only seen Blur once.

And that was at Glastonbury where they absolutely nailed it tbf.

I saw them at a shit-hole in Rayleigh in Essex called The Pink Toothbrush in 1991 - it was absolutely fucking brilliant. Saw Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine there a few weeks later - bit of fun that.

MattBlack wrote:

I remember an interview with Noel Gallagher and he said that one of the tracks from their first album they actually nicked the riff from the old Coca Cola song from the 70's, this one

You don't need an interview to realise that Matt, you got Definitely Maybee?

Sheriff Fatman.

The only Carter USM song I remember.

Saw Oasis three times (Sheffield Arena, Maine Road and somewhere else - GMEX or possibly NYNEX around the time of Be Here Now).

Saw Blur at Sheffield Arena as well, strangely (Manchester sold out), around the same time.

Blur were more chaotic and possibly a bit more fun. I always preferred their songs.

But Oasis the first two times just felt like the most invincible band on the planet.

草泥马

30 Something was a great album at the time.

Grant wrote:
MattBlack wrote:

You don't need an interview to realise that Matt, you got Definitely Maybee?

Was never really a massive Oasis fan, most of their early stuff was just regurgitated Status Quo riffs and Liam has always been a talentless twat

I saw Oasis do Live Forever on Top of the Pops, then travelled down to the Astoria and saw them there - one of the best gigs I ever went to - the atmosphere was electric. Was there on my own as couldn't find my mates and still loved it. Liam announced their new new single, Slide Away and the place erupted.

Every time I've seen them since, they've been boring - Morning Glory is a shower of an album and having to listen to and watch loving couples kissing whilst listening to 'their song' when those cunts play Don't Look Back in Anger makes me sick.

Grant wrote:

I saw Oasis do Live Forever on Top of the Pops, then travelled down to the Astoria and saw them there - one of the best gigs I ever went to - the atmosphere was electric. Was there on my own as couldn't find my mates and still loved it. Liam announced their new new single, Slide Away and the place erupted.

Every time I've seen them since, they've been boring - Morning Glory is a shower of an album and having to listen to and watch loving couples kissing whilst listening to 'their song' when those cunts play Don't Look Back in Anger makes me sick.

Saw them at Sheffield Arena on a three-date mini tour the week Some Might Say was heading for number 1.

15 at the time, my mate's dad drove us all there and back and sat in the car listening to his Bob Dylan CDs that he'd been bleating on about being 'proper music'.

When they did Acquiesce it was fucking ridiculous, a genuinely amazing gig memory. Of course, the lyrics and music sound one-dimensional now, but this was one of my first real gigs.

草泥马

Acquiesce is a belter, to be fair to them, that b-sides album they did is really very good

Beijing Dave wrote:

Marcus,

You're being fairly ridiculous here.

No Britpop album had the impact of Sgt Peppers? WHAT DID?!!?!? Apart from Sgt Peppers?

I was at school in that era. Actually, you are kind of right about the tribal divisions - people tended to be into dance music and some hip-hop OR indie (and there were a few metallers who didn't really fit in anywhere). The Oasis vs Blur thing was kind of bollocks because almost everyone I knew who was into Definitely Maybe also had Parklife, and most people in my year who went to Maine Road were also going to see Blur, Pulp, Elastica and all the other Britpop bands around the same time.

Agreed, but the way the documentary was framed that's the feeling you came away with.

I thought Britpop was a small part of the changes taking place in the 90s...not THE change .