Re: Britpop.....did I miss something?

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Shouty, lower-middle class guff for students who read The Guardian on the tube and go to the V Festival.

LOL could be Edwards Smallminds thing.

Grant wrote:

Blur are, and were, lightweight navel lint. Shouty, lower-middle class guff for students who read The Guardian on the tube and go to the V Festival. Oasis were the band you booked for a school disco when you couldn't get Blur. Pretentious shit-by-numbers pub rock nailed onto a laughable pseudo scally attitude that looked even more preposterous when the Short Fat One moved to St Johns Wood.

I used to piss myself watching their bass player standing in the corner trying to look as moody and controversial as Sid Vicious, only to resemble some day release half-wit who's lost his bag of chips along with his handler. I can only imagine what the crowd of delusional FHM and Loaded readers who attended their gigs looked like: Ben Shermans, pints of Stella and T&G haircuts as standard from the front row to the back. The only difference between Oasis and Status Quo was one extra chord, and Blur could have replaced Albarn with Danny Dyer and nobody would have noticed. A triumph of (no) style over substance and a permanent sun-bleached piss-stain on the canon of English popular music. Rubbish.

You think The Doves are shit though, where on your shit-o-meter do Blur come?

You should be fucking cut for saying Doves are shit!!!

Filed under Reg

Yeah, Doves are pretty fucking boss.

Also, some of Britpop was great and stands the test of time.

Oasis, Elastica, Supergrass etc are really just throwaway, derivative pop.

But Suede's first album is excellent, and the first half of their second album is fucking world class in terms of songwriting, though it goes a bit bloated in the second half. Pulp also put out two beginning-to-end brilliant albums as well around that time.

草泥马

Pulp and Suede. Even the names make me cringe. Fucking awful moany racket the lot of it.

Correct. Awful shit the lot of them.
Pulp isn't even music its just a bloke making a twat of himslef.

Part of the problem

And who could forget this mob?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzw2ixEgDoA

Last edited by Beijing Dave (Thursday Jan 2014 08:02:10)

草泥马

millsy23 wrote:

Suede

*shudders at the horror of it all*

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

BedRob wrote:

Nonsense. They're pure Radio One drive-time fodder for cagoule-wearing Q Magazine readers - I'd put them at the level of 'guilty pleasure' for someone like Richard Hammond. They're so fucking safe my only surprise is that you don't get a free coffee table with each album. File under: Snow Patrol/Coldplay/Arcade Fire. Depressing.

In answer to Grant's question, I'd actually put Blur a little way above them. At least Albarn and Co. had a playful side and also extended themselves creatively outside of making straight pop music. On the other hand, the Gallagher brothers would struggle to even make the Shit-o-Meter based on the unfathomable cuntery of a photo like this:

http://www.live4ever.us/uploaded_images/LILI-719279.jpg

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

What about placebo?

BedRob wrote:

Nonsense. They're pure Radio One drive-time fodder for cagoule-wearing Q Magazine readers - I'd put them at the level of 'guilty pleasure' for someone like Richard Hammond. They're so fucking safe my only surprise is that you don't get a free coffee table with each album. File under: Snow Patrol/Coldplay/Arcade Fire. Depressing.

In answer to Grant's question, I'd actually put Blur a little way above them. At least Albarn and Co. had a playful side and also extended themselves creatively outside of making straight pop music. On the other hand, the Gallagher brothers would struggle to even make the Shit-o-Meter based on the unfathomable cuntery of a photo like this:

http://www.live4ever.us/uploaded_images/LILI-719279.jpg

You're laughably wrong on The Doves

Id put Dove's above any other band in this post. Flares stripping the cred away from them say's his ears need some tuning.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

No, I'm not. Sorry. It's fashionable to 'like' the Doves, but they're MOR and there's no getting away from it. Media types and mainstream music snobs were all over them when they started - the same cunts who think the Mercury music prize is a barometer of taste. Doves are nothing more than a 2014 version of Duran Duran, minus the songwriting ability.

Big Fella wrote:

What about placebo?

Errm.....not even british......an more alternative rock than the indie brit pop stuff anyway

I still think it took almost 4 years after the release of Lost Souls for them to really catch on in the US.

chuffer wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

What about placebo?

Errm.....not even british......an more alternative rock than the indie brit pop stuff anyway

Nonsense and they were formed in London with mainly English players.

Yep^

Liked a couple of their tunes. I own BMM and Meds.

Big Fella wrote:
chuffer wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

What about placebo?

With a Belgian lead singer.

loopdokter wrote:
Big Fella wrote:
chuffer wrote:

Who sung in English.

loopdokter wrote:
Big Fella wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

What about placebo?

How many wanks did you have Loopy, before you realised she was a Brian. And then how many after?

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

Big Fella wrote:
chuffer wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

What about placebo?

It was a Belgian/Yank who went to an amercian school in Luxembourg.......his band-mates were Swedish........they might have started playing together in London......anyway the musical style wasn't Britpop anyway - it was too heavy for a start

Absolutely this...

No, I'm not. Sorry. It's fashionable to 'like' the Doves, but they're MOR and there's no getting away from it. Media types and mainstream music snobs were all over them when they started - the same cunts who think the Mercury music prize is a barometer of taste. Doves are nothing more than a 2014 version of Duran Duran, minus the songwriting ability.

You are letting yourself down here.  You don't like them for some reason, for some reason you connect them and people that like them to a shower of shit called the Mercury Music Prize, you lump them in with the Foals, Elbow etc - you're wrong on all those.  I'm not trying to create an argument, I genuinely find your opinion on it odd.

Last edited by Grant (Friday Jan 2014 01:03:47)

Flares having a total reg here.....lol

Maninstream........duran duran............. lol

Fashiionale to like doves......... even though they havent released anything for about 4 years............lol

In summary...............lol

Filed under Reg

Also remember featuring in that era:

Dodgy (one hit wonders - "Staying out for the Summer")
Sleeper (with the bored looking bint a la Elastica)
Echobelly (with the foxy little indian piece)
Bluetones (pedestrian yawn-smiths who may have put together perhaps 1 or 2 decent licks)
Charlatans (more baggy/Madchester era than Britpop but were still knocking about wheeling out "The Only Song I Know" at Oasis gigs
Shed Seven (my mate really liked then, fuck knows why)
Ocean Fucking Colour Scene
Manic Street Preachers (Kill Me Now........)

By this time it had all got really boring and it was a godsend that the likes of Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack and Tricky started to rise to distract me and bring me in to the cross-over stuff

Last edited by chuffer (Friday Jan 2014 02:41:52)

chuffer wrote:

Also remember featuring in that era:

Dodgy (one hit wonders - "Staying out for the Summer")
Sleeper (with the bored looking bint a la Elastica)
Echobelly (with the foxy little indian piece)
Bluetones (pedestrian yawn-smiths who may have put together perhaps 1 or 2 decent licks)
Charlatans (more baggy/Madchester era than Britpop but were still knocking about wheeling out "The Only Song I Know" at Oasis gigs
Shed Seven (my mate really liked then, fuck knows why)
Ocean Fucking Colour Scene
Manic Street Preachers (Kill Me Now........)

By this time it had all got really boring and it was a godsend that the likes of Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack and Tricky started to rise to distract me and bring me in to the cross-over stuff

Now that's a list of shit bands.