Re: Britpop.....did I miss something?

Grant wrote:

you lump them in with the Foals, Elbow etc - you're wrong on all those

You might actually be right on that. The Foals and Elbow are the absolute fucking pits of anally-retentive chin-strokage who exist solely to allow pigs like Zane Lowe to perfect their smug musical cuntery on the public stage. Whilst the Doves at least display some sort of structure and melody to their dreary efforts, those other two have no redeeming musical qualities whatsoever. Trying to maintain their aching hipness at all costs has distracted them from the purpose of writing in the first place: to create something with purpose, attitude and personality. I think I made it clear earlier that I lump the Doves in with the likes of Snow Patrol and Arcade Fire - bands that any self serving bubble-dwelling bride would choose for the walk up the aisle at her wedding.

Real people with a real musical education don't listen to the Doves, they listen to Chopin, Merzbow and the Dead Kennedy's. Just saying.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Real people with a real musical education

lol......in a thread about how shit Britpop was

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Bring it all back lads. Yes it may have been woeful but has anyone seen the nominees for the git awards?

When you consider that the swamp pig hermy Jessy J is up for best female and John Newman (I just had to look him up) is up for best male the 90s brit pop thing really isn't that bad.

Just googled 1996 for example, Alanysis Moriseete, Bowie, Oasis, Massive Attack, Wacko Jacko were all winners.

Plenty of shite in every decade but at least it was slightly credible.

joeyp wrote:

Alanysis Moriseete.

Blimey Joey.

Big Fella wrote:
joeyp wrote:

Alanysis Moriseete.

Blimey Joey.

lol, sorry Big Fella, constant ctrl/ tab in the office, haven't got time to look up.

Manic Street Preachers 'Britpop'?

Well, okay, but only if Radiohead are 'Britpop'.

草泥马

Awesome...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfihYWRWRTQ

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

Beijing Dave wrote:

Manic Street Preachers 'Britpop'?

No, not really. I guess the association came from the fact that on the 2 times I saw Oasis live these dreary cunts 'warmed up' for them.....

Radiohead were quality........miserable as sin but fantastic songwriters and musicians......prob put them in the alternative rock genre until they starting getting all experimental with the electronica

I recognized that from Fifa 14, no idea who it was till now though

MattBlack wrote:

I recognized that from Fifa 14, no idea who it was till now though

Manic Street Preachers have made the same album 11 times. Even the Bay City Rollers couldn't manage that.

James Dean Bradfield does a cracking acoustic version of 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' though.

Manic Street Preachers have made the same album 11 times. Even the Bay City Rollers couldn't manage that.

I really actually liked Generation Terrorists, which I think is very different to everything else they've ever done.  The rest are ver, very samey, I'll give you that.

Supergrass? What a fucking a smorgasbord of smelly tellentles fucking cunts they were. Student shit.

And the amount of times I heard on tv and radio 'and we've got Gaz from supergrass here' like it was bono or something. I mean who the fucking hell was Gaz? Where the fuck is the useless fuck hole now? What was all that shit about?

JFT 39

I believe he plays for Real Madrid.

Do you just make this stuff up as you go along Flares?

I couldn't think of more different albums than Journal For Plague Lovers and The Holy Bible (at one end) and, say, Everything Must Go or Lifeblood, at the other, that co-exist in any other band's catalogue.

草泥马

Real people with a real musical education don't listen to the Doves, they listen to Chopin, Merzbow and the Dead Kennedy's. Just saying.

And please do fuck off with that shit, I have an appreciation of all three, but there is a place for good accessible mainstream rock as well.

草泥马

Pseud's corner.

Beijing Dave wrote:

Do you just make this stuff up as you go along Flares?

I couldn't think of more different albums than Journal For Plague Lovers and The Holy Bible (at one end) and, say, Everything Must Go or Lifeblood, at the other, that co-exist in any other band's catalogue.

I saw them live about 1992 at The Town and Country Club - I had a spare ticket and got mobbed when I tried to sell it - sold it for £100 and it cost me £8, felt like a millionaire for a couple of hours - I paid for me and my mates to get absolutely shit-faced - one of the best gigs I've ever been to in my life - they finished with You Love Us and place went nuts.

Saw them at Brixton Academy in early 2000 and something and they were terrible and really dull. Having said that, so have most guitar band gigs I've been to in the last 15 years.

Seen them 4 or 5 times. Never let me down, except supporting Oasis at Maine Road, where they were unsurprisingly subdued - probably because they were recently without Richey and there were 40,000 bandwagon-jumping titheads shouting 'Play Design For Life!!!!!' throughout.

草泥马

Just realised Chuffer was probably one of those.

草泥马

Lol........no I was just shouting "fuck off the stage!".......never liked that Design for Life bollocks. You have to give them credit for Mororcycle Emptiness though tbf

Best live band I've ever seen are AC/DC.

Monstrous.

smallman1 wrote:

Best live band I've ever seen are AC/DC.

Monstrous.

First seen them in Manchester Apollo 1981 on For Those About To Rock tour.

chuffer wrote:

Lol........no I was just shouting "fuck off the stage!".......never liked that Design for Life bollocks. You have to give them credit for Mororcycle Emptiness though tbf

I quite liked the album Everything must go but i admit everything after that pretty much sounded the same and they keep playing that Design for life on Absolute like its the only song on the album, Motorcycle emptiness was a great song though