Topic: Oakenfold - Goa Essential mix

Rebroadcasted again with commentary from Oakenfold himself about the mix & track selection.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03lsp8z

Re: Oakenfold - Goa Essential mix

With respect, this sounds like a horrific idea. It's a classic mix but it doesn't need the gremlin fellating himself all over it 20 years later to enhance that fact.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

smile
He comes across pretentious but I didn't mind it.
This & the Que Club essential mixes were a big part of my teens, so it was cool to hear again in a far better quality than the tapes I had at the time

TBF, when he did an AMA on Reddit he sounded like a decent bloke.

Awful control   Broken physics   Horrific AI   Weak voice work   Poor textures.

And that's just Wally on the pull.

Think the fluoro cd still stand the test of time(ish), the Goa essential  mix less so. Artists like the man with no name, legend b,floor space,junior reactor are better live than on vinyl imho.

Seen them all at Return to the source,Oddworld and Escape to Samsara and  even Creamfields for gawds sake.

Oaky himself, is not the man he once was(who is?) but i dont think he helps himself when interviewd , comes across as a scientology/david icke type of gadge.

i prefer to look back on his body of work with misty eyed nostalgia ,that was so long ago it flickers in black and white

Viva Oaky!

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Thursday Jan 2014 14:24:48)

There's something wrong with me chemically Something wrong with me inherently,The wrong MIX In the wrong genes, I reached the wrong ends By the wrong means, It was the wrong plan In the wrong hands,The wrong theory for the wrong man,The wrong eyes On the wrong prize,
The wrong questions with the wrong replies. Wrong.

EDWARDTHECONFESSOR wrote:

i prefer to look back on his body of work with misty eyed nostalgia ,that was so long ago it flickers in black and white

Viva Oaky!

smile

Cheers mate.

John Vesta's 'Gull' Last record of the night in the courtyard.Memories are made of this.

There's something wrong with me chemically Something wrong with me inherently,The wrong MIX In the wrong genes, I reached the wrong ends By the wrong means, It was the wrong plan In the wrong hands,The wrong theory for the wrong man,The wrong eyes On the wrong prize,

Got  Oakenfolds  Havana Essential mix on now, Kicks off nicely with this little gem.  Forgot all about it... ignites the weekend nicely.

When he as on it..he was on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ6Pvmi38sg

Fuck me, those were the days... the overwhelming love of ecstasy..

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Friday Jan 2014 11:25:33)

Got  Oakenfolds  Havana Essential mix on now, Kicks off nicely with this little gem.  Forgot all about it... ignites the weekend nicely.

When he as on it..he was on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ6Pvmi38sg

Fuck me, those were the days... the overwhelming love of ecstasy..

tune

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Cheers Chuffer .
Dug out a scratched 12" copy.set to pitch + 2  , up nice and loud, fucking dreamy infectious  dance music. god bless the 1210 mk II and Jamo speakers.amen.

Always liked that V tracks 'Heritic voices' as well , had a few flammable tracks which oaky got me on to .

Top Quality Label... the sneaker  'Scatterbomb',nat monday 'nucleaus' and this beast.. can feel the old jaw clench now..HHHHNNNNNGGGGGG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDyAvYVX4QA

Always liked that V tracks 'Heritic voices' as well , had a few flammable tracks which oaky got me on to .

Top Quality Label... the sneaker  'Scatterbomb',nat monday 'nucleaus' and this beast.. can feel the old jaw clench now..HHHHNNNNNGGGGGG.

Jay Welsh, Martin Cartledge, Nat Monday were all great producers.  Flammable was a highly underrated label.  Martin went on to form Weekend World - both the label and the group. Not bad for a bunch of lads from Bradford.

loopdokter wrote:

Jay Welsh, Martin Cartledge, Nat Monday were all great producers.  Flammable was a highly underrated label.  Martin went on to form Weekend World - both the label and the group. Not bad for a bunch of lads from Bradford.

Didnt know that mate. great great label.

my quirky fact(not as good as yours), the Taste xperiance,(highlander/tantric and of course summersault) were two burly landscapes gardners from that well known land of prog(and slags)

southend on sea.

They put me on their mailing list after a chance meeting in Miami for their label showcase in 1999, so I got to know them a bit.  I still talk to Martin here and there.

Norman Hines of Stripped is from Southend and even ran a rather good club club night under the same name.

Weekend world / Skydiver put out some amazing tracks, didn't like the more recent tracks (>2004) where it went electro.

Francesco Farfa - Twister (Weekend world remix)
Skydiver - Tales from a backroom e.p

I Was looking on e bay over the weekend and oakys  two year resident cream cd (double, with the courtyard  crowd whooping it up in the background) seems to go for anything between "£20 to £ £40 odd   a pop,second hand. still a demand for the old boy , it would  seem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUxeyUpY2so

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Tuesday Jan 2014 09:43:45)

It used to go for over a ton. The crowd whoops were edited on afterwards btw.

fack!! i had two copies !!, both lost in the house move.cuuuuunnnnnnttttt.

with luck i'll still have judge jules 'trance anthems' 5cd collector set that i got out of cex for an investment of  £1.50 over christmas.

all i have to do is lie back and wait , in 200 years it may be worth £1.49.

'el nino' mutthafkrs.

i did have an 'inkling' the crowd noises were put on afterwards.

i remember overheating like a bastard  when hearing nautical bodies at cream for the first time.magical.

that eisbaer/groovezone though, sounds like a homosexual troop of the STASI prancing around  on stage  ,'salon kitty' style in a tranny Bar. no non nein!.

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Tuesday Jan 2014 10:13:11)

Pffffft My Courtyard mix on Soundcloud is better anyway, barring the exclusion of Arcane – The Arc obviously

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

Nick Sneddon wrote:

Pffffft My Courtyard mix on Soundcloud is better anyway, barring the exclusion of Arcane – The Arc obviously

Nick,
ima bit of a ludite when it comes to downloading/computer shite. can you give me a link to it.if  and when ever possible. helps me out with the train journey to and from work.Thank you.

had that arcane track on deconstruction promo.

Nick,
ima bit of a ludite when it comes to downloading/computer shite. can you give me a link to it.if  and when ever possible. helps me out with the train journey to and from work.Thank you.

Apologies for not being Nick but...

http://soundcloud.com/nick-sneddon/nick … -courtyard

yes mate got it as well, the demo mix is an absolute beast. Impossible to get hold of digitally unfortunately.

cheers Kevin

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

loopdokter wrote:

They put me on their mailing list after a chance meeting in Miami for their label showcase in 1999, so I got to know them a bit.  I still talk to Martin here and there.

Norman Hines of Stripped is from Southend and even ran a rather good club club night under the same name.

Did you drop something there Loopy? Lol

Nick Sneddon wrote:

Is it on cd?

thanks  for the mix chaps, really , really appreciated..