Topic: Arsenal target 'The Lettuce'.

Arsenal are giving a trial to Carlos Roa, one of the game's most eccentric and controversial goalkeepers.

The 33-year-old Argentine is out of contract after failing to agree terms with Real Mallorca and manager Arsene Wenger has brought him to Highbury this week to weigh up signing him as one of the understudies to David Seaman.

Roa has an Argentine passport but after five years of residence in Spain, and with Spanish heritage, Arsenal believe there will not be a problem securing the documents that will enable him to play here.

England fans - and players - will remember Roa for his exploits in the 1998 World Cup when his vital penalty shoot-out save from David Batty sent Argentina through to the quarter-finals and eliminated Glenn Hoddle's side after a stirring 2-2 draw in St Etienne.

It is for his bizarre behaviour off the pitch since, however, that he has attracted most headlines - particularly his disputes about playing on a Sunday and prophecies about the end of the world.

This quiet teetotaller and devout Seventh Day Adventist   has always been a one-off and his mild eccentricity emerged in his days at Racing Club (1988-94) when he was dubbed El Lechuga - The Lettuce - apparently because he was a vegetarian   (in meat-obsessed Buenos Aires), and when his religious beliefs caused dark mutterings.

One projected big-money move to River Plate fell through because of fears that he was part of a weird sect.   They'd heard how Roa would say the second coming would soon be upon us followed by the world's end in 2001. He eventually joined Lanus and after three season for them, signed for Mallorca in August 1997. 

Roa was the model of excellence, although he hated training on Saturdays because it was God's day and was torn between his professional duty and his faith.

In the 1998-99 season his heroics included a 600-minute shut-out, helping the Spanish side to their first European final - where they lost to Lazio in the Cup-Winners' Cup - but when a dispute arose over a new contract a year later, Roa left the island and football, with the club still owing him

Re: Arsenal target 'The Lettuce'.

Icke? Son of God?   
<i></i>

Golly- you sure have a lot to say this morning.

You 'bloody Pommies' are always 'having a go' at the 'Argies'.   

<i></i>

Who's that in your picture now, Susan?

Don't you live with a 'bloody pommie'?

<i></i>

I do. 

And, it's Thewlis in his stunning performance as Johnny in Naked. It'll be be nearly as lasting as Chopper. 

<i></i>