Re: Cheeky BT cunts

Same here. They invest shit loads upgrading everything to optics then it get to your driveway where there a prehistoric copper wire. Completely fucking pointless.

JFT 39

Big Fella wrote:

Still getting 65meg download so cannot complain.

Megs or gigs or do you mean 6.5 gig?

JFT 39

65Mb

try this bf it gives you the real speed and not the shit you get told. What does it say?

http://www.speedtest.net/

JFT 39

not at home but that's the one I used, also 10mb upload, not that I ever upload owt...

Those are good numbers for copper. You're pronbably yards from the cab.

c310 dance music CDs in his collection (Apr 2014)

Yeh that's mad fast. So it goes off the dial on this with yours bf?

JFT 39

The last stretch of copper doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of how far the data has travelled. Provided you're within 500m of the green box, which most people are, the rolloff is tiny. Not quite sure how, with the way Britain is laid out, phone companies are expected to pull up every phone cable into every house to run it as fibre to get 500kb better speeds? The east-Asian countries with insane speeds all live in modern apartment blocks so it's easy to wire in new, mega fibre.

No the dial goes up to 100Mbps.

sabotini wrote:

The last stretch of copper doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of how far the data has travelled. Provided you're within 500m of the green box, which most people are, the rolloff is tiny. Not quite sure how, with the way Britain is laid out, phone companies are expected to pull up every phone cable into every house to run it as fibre to get 500kb better speeds? The east-Asian countries with insane speeds all live in modern apartment blocks so it's easy to wire in new, mega fibre.

Fibre to home does make a difference. I've gone out with engineers as part of a back to the floor exercise at Virgin Media and they know their onions having been in the installation game for ages. They all say it makes a marked difference, but also that the network itself has had the imptovements to make things faster. It also helps to have a tidy street cabinet. Most of these are an absolute mess,

Fuckin hell, cable/fibre BT/Virgin riffing, I've seen it all now.

would you prefer we talk about fast food again BF?

It does make a difference, I'm just saying in most use cases it will be negligible. If BT were made to send some cunt out in a cherry picker for every fibre installation to rewire the final stretch from the pole to the house, that £500 bill is going to the consumer and it's not worth paying for the difference it makes.

I get 70MB on Plusnet (double BT Infinity and they're owned by the same company) - I don't know anyone that gets anywhere near that on Virgin Media.

Grant wrote:

I get 70MB on Plusnet (double BT Infinity and they're owned by the same company) - I don't know anyone that gets anywhere near that on Virgin Media.

I'm on that with VM. Mate of mine is on 100meg, never had a break in the service.

millsy23 wrote:
Grant wrote:

I'm on that with VM. Mate of mine is on 100meg, never had a break in the service.

Given BT owns Plusnet and the whole infrustructure, the difference in the how the two businesses operate is like night and day.  I fucking detest BT

millsy23 wrote:

Those are good numbers for copper. You're pronbably yards from the cab.

I can see the cabinet, I get 70mbs down and 20 up, Plusnet, a good Yorkshire company! Owned by BT.

Sorry, I should have read the rest of the thread...

I had Virgin fibre-optic in my old place - got 99% of the bandwidth I was paying for 99.9% of the time.

And no fucking landline.

Continually find it remarkable that Virgin are the only (major) company offering blazingly fast home broadband with no need for a landline.  I'll ask it again - who in their right fucking minds wants a landline at home?

Someone earlier posted a suggested answer of 'birds' - well not in my experience they don't.  They're more dedicated to their mobiles than fellas are.  There isn't a woman in my family who doesn't begrudge paying for a landline they don't use and scrolling back through my phone now I can't even find who the last person to call my mobile from a landline was...

Place I'm currently renting has a legacy contract in place with Orange/EE - and it's fucking rubbish, AND has a landline.  Have offered my landlord to pay it up and fuck it off but until they agree I'm fucking fuming...

I've used both BT's Infinity and Virgin Media’s "fibre-optic" (DOCSIS) services at home.  Both of them used copper for the last leg - although Virgin used chunky black coaxial cables similar in appearance to an African bishop’s fingers. You can thank Mrs Thatcher for that (kind of).

In between looking at cat related funnies and posting nonsense on here I help research and build low latency networks for a day job.  Currently working on a full non-blocking “clos” network, essentially a fast network using copper.  So I know my networking onions in this area (or like to think so anyway).

Cant speak for the innards of Virgin’s network but i’m currently working with a bloke who was one of senior engineers responsible for BT’s “2CN” network - which in fairness to BT was/is an ambitious project.  instead of just being able to rent ports at the exchange the ISP had the option of a BT wholesale product "Datastream" which meant the ISP was able to rent a kind of virtual pipe and manage it's own backhaul. 

Certain ISP’s where shit at this and massively over contended their own backhaul.  Result was slow speeds and lots of annoying buffering while you where in the middle of trying to crack one off over redtude (or whatever the grot site de-jour was in 2008).

Last edited by monostereo (Tuesday Feb 2014 16:56:24)

Cheers lads.

JFT 39

Early frontrunner for Most Tedious Thread of the Year methinks.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Its like acronym heaven in there.

JFT 39

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Early frontrunner for Most Tedious Thread of the Year methinks.

Jealous that debate switched from you to copper vs fibre optic?

My envy has no ceiling. At least switch the topic to something even more fap-worthy than myself.

"You fucking tit" - La Nausee

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1