Re: Sonos

It does Grunt, can you not read?

I've got a Play 5 and the sound is utterly brilliant. Excellent separation and really well balanced. It fills the room perfectly. Only downside to it is there's a delay through the line-in, so cant use it for my house party DJing (but that's probably a bonus for everyone else!)

I've also got a Play 1 in the bedroom and for its size, it's perhaps even better. Tiny thing that really pumps sound out - I can't believe how rich the sound is from such a small unit. I'm going to get another one and stereo pair them.

System works brilliantly with all my music on a NAS attached to the router. That and the seamless Spotify integration means I have instant access to anything i want to listen to. It's good to have the same music through the house too.

And the Soundloud hack works perfectly. Sure they'll support this natively soon enough.

Sonos. Love it.

Sonos is Latin for winning.

Big Fella wrote:

It does Grunt, can you not read?

Why wouldn't it work without a hack?  Is that easier?

Assume Soundcloud and a Sonos haven't 'talked' or perhaps struck a deal, lots of other music services available on the app, better than using Airplay that's for sure.

Anyway I'm blaming Soundcloud, as they are awkward at the best of times.

elrobertos wrote:

I've got a Play 5 and the sound is utterly brilliant. Excellent separation and really well balanced. It fills the room perfectly. Only downside to it is there's a delay through the line-in, so cant use it for my house party DJing (but that's probably a bonus for everyone else!)

I've also got a Play 1 in the bedroom and for its size, it's perhaps even better. Tiny thing that really pumps sound out - I can't believe how rich the sound is from such a small unit. I'm going to get another one and stereo pair them.

System works brilliantly with all my music on a NAS attached to the router. That and the seamless Spotify integration means I have instant access to anything i want to listen to. It's good to have the same music through the house too.

And the Soundloud hack works perfectly. Sure they'll support this natively soon enough.

Sonos. Love it.

Interesting. So how far behind the 5 in terms of sound stage are the 1s? If you had two 1s would you agree with some of the reviews that they challenge the 5? I cant imagine them having the same weight.

Part of the problem

It's weird you can't play certain third party apps through Sonos. You'd expect that from an Airplay device wouldn't you?

I was using Meridian M80 units, they are superb, utterly superb, but they are £1500 a pop and don't stream.

I wanted something that streamed so I bought a couple of B&W A7's, but thought they were so far behind the Meridian that I returned them.
I then bought a Play 5 used for £200 to put in the a new bathroom we were doing, it was when they allowed you to stream straight from an iPhone, thought that would be perfect for a bathroom.
I have to say that I was really impressed with it, so much so I sold my Meridian M80s and put Play 5s in.

I bought a pair of Play 1's as I fancied it in stereo, but thought it was just the wrong side of acceptable bass wise, but our rooms are pretty big which doesn't help bass. So bought another Play 5 and just set them up in stereo mode when needed. I will grab another play 5 at some point.

Big Fella wrote:

And she bought them in White, oh yeh white is trendier.

And she bought without my consultation totally impeding on my audio and visual technology domain.

Think you mean impinging mate

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King
Legs are very frickin important parts of the woman, thin ankle and tense bop is a must.
MateGreen

Bloody hell Gizze - moneybags!!

Currently live in a flat so started off with a Play 3 to test out how easy the set-up is - piece of piss as even I did it in 5 minutes.  Have consequently bought a Play 1 for the bedroom.

Hopefully moving into a house later this year so will add Playbar and buy another Play 1 to start getting home cinema set up together

Eventually the Sub to finish it off

With the Soundlcoud hack and ease of integrating Spotify (or any other streaming service), plus every internet radio station you could think of, makes it a no brainer (just not very cheap)

gIzzE wrote:

I was using Meridian M80 units, they are superb, utterly superb, but they are £1500 a pop and don't stream.

I wanted something that streamed so I bought a couple of B&W A7's, but thought they were so far behind the Meridian that I returned them.
I then bought a Play 5 used for £200 to put in the a new bathroom we were doing, it was when they allowed you to stream straight from an iPhone, thought that would be perfect for a bathroom.
I have to say that I was really impressed with it, so much so I sold my Meridian M80s and put Play 5s in.

I bought a pair of Play 1's as I fancied it in stereo, but thought it was just the wrong side of acceptable bass wise, but our rooms are pretty big which doesn't help bass. So bought another Play 5 and just set them up in stereo mode when needed. I will grab another play 5 at some point.

Guess who's back .......... 'Odgy's back

I find it hard to believe that anyone finds that the Play 5 sounds better than the A7 - the stereo argument is a compelling one though, I hadn't factored that in at all.

Personally, I'm happy with Airplay and I only intend using them in the bedroom and the kitchen - hi-fi in the living room is my main set-up and am upgrading that in a couple of months.

Grant wrote:

I find it hard to believe that anyone finds that the Play 5 sounds better than the A7 - the stereo argument is a compelling one though, I hadn't factored that in at all.

Personally, I'm happy with Airplay and I only intend using them in the bedroom and the kitchen - hi-fi in the living room is my main set-up and am upgrading that in a couple of months.

Big glass door on the walnut veneer cabinet with double tape deck and a stylus? Spare change money jar sat net to it? Sweet set up mate.

lol - smoked glass an all, class.

Last edited by Grant (Monday Jun 2014 01:53:23)

Get a burd round. Dim the lights. Glass of Malibu and watch the three bar graphic equaliser skip into the +db area as you make sweet, sweet love to Simply Red's 'Fairground' on the 8 CD multi-deck changer unit.

Enough people on here have said the play 5 sounds amazing and unbelievable. Thats good enough for me. Its going to take more than what they offer and 2/300 quid to warrant buying an A7.

Part of the problem

smallman1 wrote:

You get what you pay for Derm.

Hope that helps.

Correct Ed. Now how much was that house Tee ?

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:
elrobertos wrote:

Sonos. Love it.

Interesting. So how far behind the 5 in terms of sound stage are the 1s? If you had two 1s would you agree with some of the reviews that they challenge the 5? I cant imagine them having the same weight.

Definitely better sound from one 5 opposed to two 1s imo. The 5 has 5 speakers in it for a start. Only advantage of a pair of 1s is the stereo separation. Mind you I base this all on auditioning them in a shop.

Get a 5. You'll love it.

elrobertos wrote:

Definitely better sound from one 5 opposed to two 1s imo. The 5 has 5 speakers in it for a start. Only advantage of a pair of 1s is the stereo separation. Mind you I base this all on auditioning them in a shop.

Get a 5. You'll love it.

...it was the fact that the 5 should lack stereo-separation and yet still sounded so good that impressed me so much

I don't own one either... yet

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Grant wrote:

lol - smoked glass an all, class.

Are we talking about the magic of an Amstrad Hi-Fi here? Such a beautiful piece of equipment. And I would argue that playing vinyl on one of those, would blow away any Sonos playing a 128kbps MP3 which half of you have ripped your Koola Shaker collection to.

http://www.tvfilmprops.co.uk/userdata/PRODPIC-1203.jpg

Last edited by Henry Rindhoops (Monday Jun 2014 02:48:57)

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

lol at not having a double tape deck H.

...I'd wager that's not even 'soft-eject'

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

I think this beauty is pre Dolbo Noise Reduction too. So you'd probably have to curb the high end a bit, using one of those massive dials.

Unbroken1 wrote:

I recall going to someone's party once, and pressing eject and a half eaten sandwich fell out. Try doing that on a Sonos.

Last edited by Henry Rindhoops (Monday Jun 2014 02:56:16)

Unbroken1 wrote:

It's got a 3 digit counter on it though.

steelydan wrote:

It's got a 3 digit counter on it though.

Ah, the precursor to the BPM counter. Invented before the decimal point. And not very accurate.