Topic: Another nail in Soundclouds coffin?

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2014/06/en … cloud-djs/

Re: Another nail in Soundclouds coffin?

More corporate strong arming and a company that could have supported the "dj". Buncha bs. I really do wonder though if the "greatest" djs in the world don't get their mix's taken down as often or ever as other users do.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

I've got 33 mixes on SC - never had one 'taken down' - had a few that needed an overdub on the intro to sneak them past the scan that all new uploads get subjected to but, as yet, not had an uploaded mix removed.

But, I've given myself a few months to get used to their new interface (as opposed to their 'classic' look) and I still think it's shit.  And their Pro stats don't meet minimum I expect from the self-styled market leader for the money I've paid.

My renewal is up in a couple of months - almost certain at this stage I'll be fucking it off.

Mixcloud's lack of d/l still makes it a shit alternative though...

I agree Smashy, but finding a viable alternative is tricky, hearthis is buggy as hell and none of the others have the following that Soundcloud does

I can't imagine many mixes that the Bedrock Messageboard personnel listen to and enjoy would have any of the toss that Universal put out anyway.

..they've been gradually shifting the goalposts in anticipation of a sell-off for a while

I'd never had anything flagged until about 6 weeks ago, and have had about 5 mixes taken down since. Expect it to get a lot worse in that respect...

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Has anyone tried Mixcrate yet?

Not had a problem with SC yet but seems like only a matter of time.

------------
Millsy , you're a board titan and beyond mere platitudes. Your contribution speaks for itself.

niton (Oct 14)

Yeah me neither. I make sure the first tracks is from some really small label, or else use the old intro-trick, so far so good.

MattBlack wrote:

Recently started using this. Really like it so far.

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

MattBlack wrote:

Ask Munkyn I think he does

Why don't you burn your mixes onto CD and send them out in the post?

Old school and gives the recipient something tangible to remember your "a soundscape of broken hearts and ruined dreams" mix by.

smallman1 wrote:

Old school and gives the recipient something tangible to remember your "a soundscape of broken hearts and ruined dreams" mix by.

This. My next mix will be CD only, massively exclusive, and S.W.A.L.K

------------
Millsy , you're a board titan and beyond mere platitudes. Your contribution speaks for itself.

niton (Oct 14)

millsy23 wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

This. My next mix will be CD only, massively exclusive, and S.W.A.L.K

Would you be able to knock up a 'Corfu Nights' mix for The Smallmans and our annual jaunt to the most wonderful of Greek islands?

A comp of all the artistes Smallman Snr has been through.

Last edited by Big Fella (Tuesday Jul 2014 05:51:09)

..did a 'Kalami Bay'-themed mix a couple of years back Ed

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Unbroken1 wrote:

..did a 'Kalami Bay'-themed mix a couple of years back Ed

Perfect.

Any Demis Roussos remixes on there?

Big Fella wrote:

Loopy would have to compile it.

smallman1 wrote:

PM me your address for a cd was the old GU mantra

smallman1 wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

Loopy would have to compile it.

Where is Loopy btw?

MattBlack wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

PM me your address for a cd was the old GU mantra

Sure... up until I saw eyes in the bushes outside my window. They were kind and gentle eyes tbf. Though I never did get that mix from Fadas.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

That article is utter bobbins written by someone who clearly has no understanding of copyright. To simply brush it aside as the top of the article misses the point entirely.

The problem isn't Soundcloud, it's sharing a mix that contains however many tracks who's copyright belongs to the producer and / or label on any download platform. By rights of the law you should either get permission or pay a license a la any commercial project. If another downloadable mix platform rises (should SC fail in the near future) the majors will simply put that in their cross-hairs. The issue lies with legality not the parts of the sharing / distribution jigsaw.

And didn't Soundcloud start life as a platform / showcase for unsigned music? It got hijacked by DJs and mixes due to its functionality so I'm sure they'll be happy to roll forward in a remit closer to their original conception if it does ever become a widespread issue.

But when you get authorisation from the artist and label they just ignore you.

I should have another intricate mix of mine in a few weeks' time, Bedrockers. Hold tight for that one. smile

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

gIzzE wrote:

But when you get authorisation from the artist and label they just ignore you.

Or the track they say you've used isn't even the right one and then you cant appeal it as Soundcloud didnt pull the mix?