Topic: Anyone disputed Soundcloud copyright take down

I've just posted a mix (dark progressive) and got some snot face soundcloud take down labelling it as some top 40 pop chart track....welll jarred off...apart from hearthis.at and mixcrate any viable alternatives?

Last edited by munkyn (Wednesday Jul 2014 11:27:03)

Re: Anyone disputed Soundcloud copyright take down

Stick it on your BitTorrent site you mentioned.

Big Fella wrote:

Stick it on your BitTorrent site you mentioned.

to be honest mate, I am more than happy to ditch it after this...done it like this as well...wide ones soundcloud

http://northernmunky.co.uk/dj-mixes-pau … rting-out/

I don't know why you're getting upset with Soundcloud when you've posted a mix that's compiled entirely of music you don't own the copyright for or, I assume, have licensed or got permission to use. I know it's a pisser, but Soundcloud are technically in the right here.

There was another thread on this not so long back and the safest answer is simple: distribute privately by way of your own links and avoid public facing sites with social aspects to them which a lot of labels, majors and indies, are clearly waking up to. This problem isn't going to go away, quite the opposite in fact.

I know it may not help the amateur enthusiast who wants to distribute their mix, but there may be a silver lining in the near future as it could give rise to the return of properly released professional DJ mixes. If the loophole of distributing unlicensed mixes by any DJ, amateur or pro, closes demand for product of that nature can only increase.

I've disputed copyright take down requests for content we had the rights to and won.

If you don't have the rights, not worth fighting it because you're in the wrong.

right - this is a very 'strudders' question but...

if I've purchased the track do I own the rights?

shaunstrudwick wrote:

No

Skydney wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:

No

so why aren't all DJ mixes removed?  assuming it's not someone like Diggers playing a Bedrock (a record label that he owns) back cat mix

shaunstrudwick wrote:
Skydney wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:

No

so why aren't all DJ mixes removed?  assuming it's not someone like Diggers playing a Bedrock (a record label that he owns) back cat mix

Soundcloud dont pay any royalties to labels so when a label asks for a takedown Soundcloud just does it automatically as they dont want to get sued, this article explains it a little better

http://change-underground.com/soundclou … casualties

OH - SoundCloud are being told to take it down by the label - I thought it was some software they had or something

MattBlack wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:
Skydney wrote:

No

Soundcloud dont pay any royalties to labels so when a label asks for a takedown Soundcloud just does it automatically as they dont want to get sued, this article explains it a little better

I remember reading this Matt, cheers for the link... I think like you said I have no valid point to complain about, so I shall take matters into my own hand and fuck off so to speak...more than happy to host it and share on my own site or you hearthis.at... I don't upload music  for likes or plays and it has become tiresome to deal with the bullshit that comes with it, so I'm more than happy to leave

munkyn wrote:
MattBlack wrote:
shaunstrudwick wrote:

I remember reading this Matt, cheers for the link... I think like you said I have no valid point to complain about, so I shall take matters into my own hand and fuck off so to speak...more than happy to host it and share on my own site or you hearthis.at... I don't upload music  for likes or plays and it has become tiresome to deal with the bullshit that comes with it, so I'm more than happy to leave

put it up on hearthis.at - I'll give it a spin

yep...mixes all deleted...account removed...move over hearthis

Has anyone on here ever got a gig from soundcloud?

marcus wrote:

I don't know why you're getting upset with Soundcloud when you've posted a mix that's compiled entirely of music you don't own the copyright for or, I assume, have licensed or got permission to use. I know it's a pisser, but Soundcloud are technically in the right here.

People get 'upset' because of the dual-level inconsistency;
i - those of us who've been with SoundCloud for 6+ years have posted gazillions of hours of mixes and never had one single problem until a year or so ago...
ii - since the first 'takedowns' occurred, to many people there still doesn't appear - I do understand why but many don't - to be any consistency in why most mixes can be uploaded without takedown but some cant

marcus wrote:

There was another thread on this not so long back and the safest answer is simple: distribute privately by way of your own links and avoid public facing sites with social aspects to them which a lot of labels, majors and indies, are clearly waking up to. This problem isn't going to go away, quite the opposite in fact.

I don't know about 'safest', but by far the most effective answer is to simply overdub literally anything over the first 30 odd seconds of your mix - their (not really overly capable) recognition software will be comprehensively fucked over and bingo, your mix is hosted...

marcus wrote:

I know it may not help the amateur enthusiast who wants to distribute their mix, but there may be a silver lining in the near future as it could give rise to the return of properly released professional DJ mixes. If the loophole of distributing unlicensed mixes by any DJ, amateur or pro, closes demand for product of that nature can only increase.

That would be a silver lining?!  Seriously?!  Fuck that...

And, you seriously think that SoundCloud taking down anything amounts to a heap of shit?  If it disappears then everyone just uploads to mixcloud/what-the-fuck-ever and kids will use stream rips to download from there...

SoundCloud has been fucking outstanding for most of its 6+ years - the, recent, big website update was bollocks but aside from that they've opened a door that will NEVER be closed again and personally I don't see one single ounce of harm in it.  They should stand up to the majors who are muscling in and initiating all the takedowns of their precious material.  They won't of course - they'll cave in and sell out for $0,000,000s (and fair play to them) but if you seriously think that 'the return of the properly released professional DJ mix' is the future for the myriad of small, wonderful, independently supported, promoted and advertised, labels that have sprung up since the old status quo/cabal collapsed then you're bonkers...

steelydan wrote:

Has anyone on here ever got a gig from soundcloud?

Can only speak for myself on that obviously - no, I haven't - but then I've never, even remotely, aggressively used it as a tool to market myself for gigs - to be honest I'm not really interested in 'playing out' anymore - the small, select, appreciative online audience opportunities, like mixlr, appeal much MUCH more to me.

I know for an absolute fucking cast iron fact though that people have spent money at Beatport/Juno/Boomkat/Traxsource/etc as a result of listening to the mixes I've posted - and I have spent £000s as a result of music I've first heard on SoundCloud.

Yet again *faints in mock astonishment* the 'major' record industry is fucking itself up the arse with this SoundCloud 'takedown' horseshit...

munkyn wrote:

I've just posted a mix (dark progressive) and got some snot face soundcloud take down labelling it as some top 40 pop chart track

Without wishing to overstate the fucking obvious just reply to SoundCloud and tell them that they have made a mistake - the tune they say you have used is not included in your upload so kindly request them to stop fucking around and provide you with the services you're (presumably) paying for.

They've sent me that email twice - making ludicrous errors on both occasions - seriously, the tunes they claimed I'd opened a mix with (HUGE EDM sounding tracks) were nothing whatsoever like those I'd actually used.

Smashdad, the issue isn't Soundcloud here, it's uploading content you don't own the rights to, which is what areas of the industry are waking up to. OK, it took them six years, but that's been six glorious years of freedom. The reason SC can't stick it, or stand-up to any label that can prove ownership of a track is because they simply don't have a leg to stand on. And they didn't open the box or create this problem; as I said in the other thread, it was designed as a showcase for unsigned artists and bands and got hijacked by DJs and producers due to it's functionality.

Yes, you're right, the dance community does, for the most part, tolerate use of tracks as part of a mix because within this genre it works as a marketing tool, but that doesn't make it legal. It only takes one label in a mix of, say, fifteen tracks to complain and the whole thing obviously has to come down. And yes, you're right, people will migrate away from Soundcloud, the only reason we're debating them is because it is currently the market leader and therefore the one in the spotlight on both sides of the fence - label and consumer; but don't fool yourself to thinking the majors will only be picking on SC right now, they'll be searching hard for an industry wide solution to the problem (as they see it).

So, if they do succeed (and I admit the premise is based on an industry wide lock down on unlicensed content being used in mixes), how could demand for properly licensed product not increase? I'm not convinced they will be able to get the genie back in the bottle in its entirety, I kinda agree with you there too, but then they may not have to, the average consumer is nothing like as musically enlightened as the members of this board.

I don't know what I'm doing right, but I've never had any of my mixes queried or taken down, despite not using any sort of overdub at the beginning of the first track... Intro tracks do tend to be something beatless and floaty though - would that confuse the recognition software?

vinnyt77 wrote:

I don't know what I'm doing right, but I've never had any of my mixes queried or taken down, despite not using any sort of overdub at the beginning of the first track... Intro tracks do tend to be something beatless and floaty though - would that confuse the recognition software?

The mixes have to have more than 3 listens before they take them down.

Not had a mix taken down but have had my own tracks removed.

Told them to go fuck themselves and my tracks were back up in 24 hours

I had them once tell me that their 'content protection system' or whatever it's called had detected that I was using Jay Kaufman - Foreshadows in a mix and that they were claiming copyright on behalf of the label.  I own the bloody tune and was the author, but they wouldn't take it down until I had the label tell them they were out to lunch!

Nuts.

Frankly, the way I see they get around this is to only issue these to people who are offering up downloads.  Streaming should be fine and as long as they pay GEMA the rights to do so, should be a non-issue.

The problem lies in the fact that the majors have seriously suffered at the hands of technology and it's wondrous ways to 'democratize' music and put the content control back into the hands of the people.  The problem with that is that no one gets paid anymore, so the majors are going after every possible revenue stream they see fit and sending their lawyers into the mix.  It's a lost battle, but each time they succeed that's just extra cash they wouldn't have had otherwise.  They wouldn't do it if it weren't profitable.

As an artist, the amount of money that streaming services pay is terrible when you consider that these companies take subscription fees and the like.  The system is broken, but the fix is nowhere to be found.  Everyone is chomping at the bit for a smaller piece of the pie.   

All I know is that I've sure as fuck given up on trying to expect money out of making a track and selling it.  That's not even a viable option to the seasoned mainstream artist.

Its like the Youtube deal that most labels signed recently, a lot of indie labels refused to sign so a lot of their videos got took down, most of the complaints about Soundcloud come from bigger labels, one i know blocks content is Ultra and all its spin off labels

munkyn wrote:

yep...mixes all deleted...account removed...move over hearthis

You can use the JustGo social app to migrate them too.

erik.b wrote:

Not had a mix taken down but have had my own tracks removed.

Told them to go fuck themselves and my tracks were back up in 24 hours

games over mate...had enough...not paying that shit anymore...don't do it for likes or plays, just convienience...will use hearthis and host my mixes on my own site as well