Topic: Floyd Mayweather to fight Conor McGregor in boxing match in August

It's on.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40283206

'When there's life to be lived - and God Damnit I've lived it'
Dogmong 2017

Re: Floyd Mayweather to fight Conor McGregor in boxing match in August

A boxing lesson and banking exercise by Floyd.

Agreed.

Fair play to McGregor though.  Managed to cash in before getting absolutely humiliated.

Think we can expect the weigh-in to be a happy yet subdued affair with a sprinkling of light ripostes from McGregor.

------------
From a sliding glass door, through white curtains fluttering in the breeze, comes Bruno, Guetta's elegant manservant. The two exchange a few words in French, and Bruno re-emerges a few minutes later with salads.

Would be surprised if McGregor makes it past the 2nd minute

Cracking "ground game" though

Global Warming, just a load of bullshit!!! (Ahad Adump 02/11/2016)

Yeah that ground game will come in really handy in a boxing match.

Fully expect Mayweather to do the usual.  Not get hit for 6/7 rounds then take him out.

BedRob wrote:

Would be surprised if McGregor makes it past the 2nd minute

Cracking "ground game" though

Wasn't his fight against Pacquiao a load of taps and it was his OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL ABILITY that won it? Admittedly he should have a bit more space for some swings, but think McGregor should be able to handle some bashes a bit longer than 2 mins.

Just one more thing...

Conor's got dynamite in that left hand.  I'm picking McGregor to win this fight.  Floyd is 40, his chin hasn't been tested in years, and Conor is much bigger, plus Conor has a 2 inch reach advantage.  Orthodox stance fighters usually have trouble against unorthodox South-Paws like McGregor.  Conor also started off as a boxer and was an All Irish Champion at the youth level.  He trained under Phil Sutcliffe for years, and regularly sparred with the likes of Dean Byrne and Jamie Kavanagh.  Conor has been boxing and sparring for years, even while pursuing MMA.  All of this depends on Conor actually hitting Floyd of course, but if he can, McGregor will win.

These aren't the droids we're looking for, you can go about your business now, move along, move along...

Don't agree I'm afraid.  McGregor won't be able to compete.  He doesn't have the footwork to be able to, especially against someone like Mayweather.

Floyd will pick him off and deliver goodnight Vienna in the 3rd.

Dogmong 2017

..agree with Yant, it's a complete mismatch. The difference in sports is colossal. He won't have the technical ability, footwork or speed to finish Mayweather. Having said that, I doubt Mayweather will knock him out either, he's never been a big puncher. I'd expect it to be stopped by TKO late in the fight or go the distance.

Besides, the Canelo v GGG fight is the biggest fight of the last 20 years, never mind this circus.

this is a shambles...a complete mismatch. Should Mayweather be allowed to take his record to 50-0 off the back of this?

I shall be streaming it of course...

You'd have to be an absolute mug to pay for this.

I'll be paying for this.

Shambles.

No one gets near Floyd.

Knock out in the 4th.

Moderate Rock

smallman1 wrote:

You'd have to be an absolute mug to pay for this.

I'll be paying for this.

Lol

He's spent his whole career fighting other boxers who have dedicated their lives to learning how to box.  And a lot of them got very good at it, yet none of them were able to touch him across 49 fights.

Yet people think McGregor will? no.  The only way McGregor will win is with a lucky punch, but Mayweather won't be beaten by McGregor being a better boxer.

Who's going to train McGregor for this.  Surely has to have something up his sleeve to get at least one punch in!

DuFunk wrote:

Who's going to train McGregor for this?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/75/6e/6d/756e6d73361815a0f67b95375c7a64ff.jpg

Dogmong 2017

I'm not particularly excited by this bout, it just seems to be a sham fight in which Floyd will destroy him.

Doubt it'll be even close but fair play to Conor for trolling his way into a never-work-again paycheck.

Mr. C's Acting Career wrote:

Doubt it'll be even close but fair play to Conor for trolling his way into a never-work-again paycheck.

exactly.  another anticlimactic payday for both fighters.

The best part of this will be the trash-talking leading up to this fight - can't wait to see these two at pressers, and on the stage together. - absolute mayhem.  When after talking to Conor earlier today, Dana white had this to say, "Conor told me this morning the McGregor clan has been taking over villages for 300 years," White said, "and that Floyd's village is next."

These aren't the droids we're looking for, you can go about your business now, move along, move along...

Mayweathers an awful cunt, the Aladice / Mourinho of boxing. Spends the whole time with the bus parked / hiding behind his shoulder. Not a fan of McGregor either, but would love to see him slice through the cunt.

Don't disagree Amps. But you have to admire the technical class and quality of Mayweather.

However boring it is to watch for the casual boxing fan, to the trained eye I'm sure he's a wet dream.

ghostriddenhuffy wrote:

I'm picking McGregor to win this fight.

I'm guessing you've probably never heard of Steve Bunce - ignore him at your peril...

*edit*

liquitech1 wrote:

He won't have the technical ability, footwork or speed to finish Mayweather. Having said that, I doubt Mayweather will knock him out either, he's never been a big puncher. I'd expect it to be stopped by TKO late in the fight or go the distance.

Yeah, that.

Some of the world's very best boxers have struggled to bruise Mayweather's cheeks - McGregor will be puffy-eyed and split-lipped as a tedious 'fight' drags inevitably towards points...  Maybe Mayweather finds a k-o from somewhere but it'd have to be a surprise wouldn't it?  Maybe McGregor gets lucky and lands a haymaker.  Mayweather unanimous points in a tedious encounter for me.

Last edited by smashdad (Friday Jun 2017 02:12:18)