Topic: recording advice needed

as I herald my much belated move into the digital recording age I have some questions...

currently I use a Teac Reference 300 system to record my essential mixes onto 120min cassette using the timer.

The reference 300 recordable MD doesn't appear to be long play   but it does have a timer 

How can I get the best of both worlds? I want to ensure and record the full two hours but I don't want to have to sit by my stereo as it records.

answers on a postcard
<i></i>

[img]http://www.geocities.com/snake0074/snk/duck-breakdance.gif[/img]

the name "tonic wine" does not imply health giving or medicinal properties

Re: recording advice needed

i know FA about MD but sounds like you need a 2 hour disk or a long play system?

do you have a comfy seat
<i></i>

Xpan,

sounds like you'll only be able to record 80 mins onto MD (unless you somehow get a MD that holds more... but i don't think their available)

Presuming you want to get the best quality for the most amount of time, you might be able to set the MD to go first, then the tape (when the MD runs out)... which would leave you with a MD full and a bit on a tape   not ideal...

If you've got a sony MD recorder, you can set it to record (on the 'digital in') when a signal is present. in other words, you'd set your Hifi to turn on when the Ess mix starts, and hey presto the MD would start recording...

but if you haven't got a LP recorder, and you want better quality than cassette, your bu66ered really....   
<i></i>

Get the stereo that I got a few weeks ago.

Lets me set up my stereo to md record whilst I'm out for 5 hours. Only cost 200 nicker. Not the best stereo but does the job.
<i></i>

'Lets have a game of basketball....without a ball and without the baskets....'

213.38.235.185/frHome.asp?page=home.asp

Don't know if money is a problem for ya, but I bought myself one of these a couple of months ago.  Just USB straight into my PC and I get perfect quality recording in MP3 every time.

"Once This guy gave me a bill and a half just to eat me......only time I ever came."<i></i>

At

'cept mp3 isn't perfect?

sorry I'm bein a right picky fvcker today... just ignore me!
<i></i>

I think there's an option to record to Wav. Only my hard disk isnt big enough.

However Wavefinder is so great! How else will you record Tim Westwood when your out on Sat-Fri night.
<i></i>

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> If you've got a sony MD recorder, you can set it to record (on the 'digital in') when a signal is present. in other words, you'd set your Hifi to turn on when the Ess mix starts, and hey presto the MD would start recording...

can you do this with all sony's?? don't think i can (but please prove me wrong!!)
<i></i>

U can on sony stereos yeah.
<i></i>

'Lets have a game of basketball....without a ball and without the baskets....'

never tried that - gonna give it a go though   
<i></i>

cheers for the advice - Wavefinder sounds like a plan although I'm wary of pc's ability to keep the connection (even with broadband)

Is there a LP, portable Sony MD recorder with the "signal-in" functionality? since this would be the solution
<i></i>

[img]http://www.geocities.com/snake0074/snk/duck-breakdance.gif[/img]

the name "tonic wine" does not imply health giving or medicinal properties

Honestly, the quality of the recordings that I have got from the wavefinder are superb.  Well worth the money if you like recording all of John's Kiss mixes and all the radio 1 essential mixes.

"Once This guy gave me a bill and a half just to eat me......only time I ever came."<i></i>

The wave finder doesn't work like that.

It uses a digital signal.  It's got nothing to do with an internet connection.

Where is the cheapest place for a Wavefinder?

<b>gecko</b>

www.phatplastic.com

<i></i>

Shake your shammy like a bitch on heat!

I was lucky.  Got mine in a special offer about 3 months ago for

wavefinder is bascially a digital radio receiver that you plug into your pc but which you cannot plug directly into your stereo.

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

eek, im not paying

I wasn't stating thats what it was, I was more asking whether that was what it is. 
<i></i>

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

It's USB, so no plugging into a stereo I am afriad.

Seems like www.ebay.co.uk is the place to be if you want one, they are going for about