Topic: Why doesn't everybody love breaks?

What's the deal with this forum being so quiet? Why do so few people in England listen to breaks when they're so damn brilliantly fun? I danced my little bottom off to Hyper and co in the Star Bar at Bedrock every month without fail a year or two ago, but the London scene in particular just hasn't got anywhere near as big as it should have.

I've just come over to Sydney for a few months, and breaks are MASSIVE over here. There are tons of breaks nights every week, and big breaks events like Field Day (Plump DJs, Soul of Man, Freq Nasty, Krafty Kuts, etc). It means lots of breaksy fun for me while I'm here, but also proves to me that breaks is a universally appealling sound. So why don't Brits go for it so much? I reckon it's a stuck up thing. Breaks is too much fun, especially for the London crowd. Most Londoners want to look a bit cool while clubbing, but breaks makes you bounce like a muppet.

What's everyone else reckon?

Funky Dung

"It's in the saaand"

Re: Why doesn't everybody love breaks?

i am sooooo sorry i never replied earlier...........two months ago i was the biggest prog junkie ever...i loved breaks too...but now for me breaks is the only way fwd....but to many people are scared of progression....from now on you will always find me in the starbar.....its breaks heaven

LONG LIVE THE BROKEN BEAT

jung

If you like the Starbar, you'll love Chew The Fat, Twister, Global Beats, Blue Funk, Turbulence, Passenger... the list is endless, and that's just some of the London nights for ya. And iI don't care what anyone says about Fabric being too 'touristy'; when the Plumps or the Stantons, Hybrid or Adam Freeland, Freq Nasty,  Ali B etc are on the menu on a friday night, they completely smash the place up (Plumps & Hybrid on the same night- bloody hell is that goood!!!!)

Seriously Jungle, check out these other nights for a pure breakbeat experience.(Might see me going nuts one one of those dancefloors at some point!)

There are people over here that do really follow the scene, me being one of them. Breaks is the sound of the future folks, anyone who says otherwise just doesn't get it. That's just my opinion.

Your right Funky Dung, this board is way too quiet. I'm always trying to think of thing to post up here, but I rarely bother, cos I don;t think anyone's gonna read it. Saying that, there are two main breaks message boards that are way more busy than this. Sure you know them though.

xXx

@nnax

i think we should make it our objective to get this board up and running properly....it needs more input....if anyone can think of some sh1t to write........then fvcking write it!

jung

Can anyone ID a track for me? Heard it out the other day - sounded very Fingerlickin' indeed, with massive honking bass noises and a voice saying (I think) "Babylon, babylon, babylon, babylon, techno babylon" all the way through it. I want it. smile

Funky Dung

"It's in the saaand"

My friend,

If i'm not mistaken, you are referring to Chris Carter's 'Echo Babylon' ('do you believe in evil? do you believe in the power of darkness') on Bochit & Scarper. Boy have I rinsed that tune this year. Boy, do I love Chris Carter xxx. If i'm wrong, sorry mate! smile

@nnax

And yes, any kind of breaks related crap will do, as long as it gets this section going!

By the way...

Fri 13th Ladies Night at Chew The Fat @ the Bug Bar, with residents Paul Arnold & Dirty Sanchez

+ Guests

10 Sui (TCR) & DJ Leah (Australia)

The uk's longest running proponent of cutting- edge breakbeat, featuring a lively crowd, a loose music policy and the newest of the new skool alongside those who made it happen, week in, week out...

Every 2nd & 3rd friday night, 8pm - 3am

Free before 9pm,

@nnax

By jove, I think she's got it! That sounds like the one to me - I'm off shopping for it straight away! It rocks like a mofo!

Thanks a billion for that! big_smile

Funky Dung

"It's in the saaand"

Because then it wouldn't be so special   big_smile  8)

yea man...maybe thats true....but if you're a little kid and you got a football....isn't it more fun if you get a team together and play football together....that way you could...(in theory) win the fa cup or some other football related b*llocks.           

the more people we get in on this the better it is for all of us

and i'm sure theres people out there who think i'm selling out....but beleive me...i'm just here to have fun x x x

jung

Why dont you all take a trip to Sankeys in manc on the 14th Feb??  Plump DJs and Airtight boys in the main room on that phazon system!!!!!  big_smile  big_smile

Use to go up for the airtight nights at Club north in manchester (even tho I live in London)  Fukkin awesome nights always, massive urban beats!  I will NEVER tire of seeing the Plumps or listening to breaks for that matter.  I still love my fair share of proggy tunes but I have rarely (if ever) had a crappy breaks night, I always finish the night grinning like a proper schoolkid!

Will definitely make the effort to go to Sankey's at some point- i've only heard good things about that nite.

If you can't wait till then to hear some Plump beats, I strongly urge you to come to Fabric on the 7th. it's not everyday you see them in the same room as Rennie Pilgrem, or Tayo & Ali B back to back, now is it?

@nnax

big_smile

i can only assume that they dont have ears! Love em me.

the word is spreadoing tho...its global now for a start.

Will definitely make the effort to go to Sankey's at some point- i've only heard good things about that nite.

Tribal Sessions at Sankey's really is f**kin ace. Adam Freeland's playing there sometime soon - that really will be brilliant. Check when and go. I'm still stuck in sunny Sydney at the moment, unfortunately... :?

Funky Dung

"It's in the saaand"

Me, I love breaks. But I post on the Main board cos I know it`ll get read. Its like at a party - everyones in the one room - then you go into another but still want to talk to them people...

see?

but they just don't know it yet . . .

whether it's because they've heard a few nu-skool type rumbling basslines and been scared off or whether they're scared to buy any breaks because they can't mix with them - dunno . . .

but everyone's coming round - slowly . . .

had an interesting chat with Lord Freeland about this t'other night. We agreed that some of the more noisy stuff scares people off so maybe thats what it its. But to be honest things are really changing. Especially in the US, prog heads are really getting into breaks. About time to..I love this shit. F#cking love it.