Re: The General Footy Thread

Andy Lees wrote:

Yet again, the other results went our way & we failed to take advantage, we always do this & it pisses me right off. Not taking anything away from Bolton, they kept up pressure well on us & had a good game but we just didn't make the most of the game in general. I think Fergie needs to give Owen a chance over Rooney as his head is clearly up his arse at the moment, he seems to be more bothered about getting laid & not getting clocked than playing football. I'm also a little puzzled as to why Rio didn't get at least a run out if not a full game. O'Shea needs to fuck off!

Well chuffed with that performance from Bolton - should've been 3-1 if Elmander hadn't skyed his one-on-one - 2-2 was a fair result, but you boys looked a little out of sorts all over the pitch, so I'm not getting my hopes up for the rest of the season just yet - we played some nice football in parts though.

Quite like how this thread is mainly hating Spurs. Which is very easy as they are shit. Really shit, annoying cunts, who've milked beyond all recognition getting into the champs lge.
The thought of having 'The Wheeler Dealer' anywhere near my national side makes me feel sick. He's a horrible, bent as fuck, ugly saggy faced twat, who thinks he's sooooooooo fucking clever as a manager when actually he does fucking nothing.
The side he has over performed x10 to qualify last season and i just cannot wait for it to end asap.

Part of the problem

Jealousy will get you nowhere.

Personally, i'm quite looking forward to our Champions League game tomorrow night.

And to suggest that Spurs are shit shows how blinkered you are by your hatred for us.  We are clearly not shit, just going through some bad form at the moment.  And still only 3 points off of 3rd place.

smile

Last edited by Yant (Tuesday Sep 2010 05:19:46)

Fairplay, Wes, I like the cut of your jib :-)

I don't think you'll find many Goonertonians defending the shite on display at the Emirates on Saturday. The goalkeeper problem is a ticking timebomb but that was only part of the problem this time. Smalls has rather inelegantly but fairly touched on the the lack fighting spirit in this Arsenal squad at times. It only surfaces at certain times but if they've improved in the physical games (and they have) then the complacency against perceived 'lesser' sides is still there. It can only be the lack of experienced players and Wenger's 'youth policy'. Ditto for the goalkeeper fiasco.

Still turning a healthy profit though, Wigs.

Yes we are, Phats, yes we are. In fact here is an incredibly long and in-depth piece on football finances - http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/09 … ckers.html I sleep well knowing that my football club is run incredibly well. You can scoff at the subject of money but if you think any club is immune from financial failure then you are mistaken.

Shame Arsenal couldn't stump up £500,000 extra for Mark Schwartzer though.

Why? I'm glad he didn't come, same goes for Given. Schwarzer is fucking hopeless and has a terrible record. Given let in more goals than Almunia last season and that was with a £70m defence in front of him. Don't get me wrong, we need a new keeper but Wenger is sticking to his guns and wants to bring the 20 year old Pole thorough called Szczesny (bless me).

Wiggipedia wrote:

Why? I'm glad he didn't come, same goes for Given. Schwarzer is fucking hopeless and has a terrible record. Given let in more goals than Almunia last season and that was with a £70m defence in front of him. Don't get me wrong, we need a new keeper but Wenger is sticking to his guns and wants to bring the 20 year old Pole thorough called Szczesny (bless me).

Stick to the finances Wiggi.

You'd prefer either of those keepers over what we have? Shite Sandwich or Turd Pie imo.

Wiggipedia wrote:

You'd prefer either of those keepers over what we have? Shite Sandwich or Turd Pie imo.

I would prefer Schwarzer or Given over Almunia yes.

Better goalkeepers who make less howlers is the reason why.

Schwarzer & Given, shites and turds respectively?!?!

Deary me. Say no more Wiggi. Thats just stupidity.

starcreeper wrote:

Schwarzer & Given, shites and turds respectively?!?!

Deary me. Say no more Wiggi. Thats just stupidity.

Let himself down badly there.

Would have to agree about Given, when he was the number one goalie at City the number of points he saved for City with his goalkeeping probably stopped them dropping into midtable, what about Jaaskelainen, probably been one of the most consistent goalies in the Premiership and would probably do quite well at Arsenal

It seems like nonsense I know but I'm afraid the facts speak for themselves. Given never, ever comes for crosses, his is caught static so many times it's not true. Sure he was a very good keeper but recent seasons he's lost his consistency. Why would Citeh replace him with what is a great rookie keeper in the making but a rookie nonetheless. With 100 caps and 450 games under his belt at 33 which is a great age for a keeper he's been dropped for an unproven if gifted keeper. Schwarzer has won fuck all and the biggest game he's played in is a Europa Cup Final in which he made bad errors. You only think they make less howlers than Almunia, the stats say otherwise, both have conceded more goals every season than Almunia. Endyfuckinstory.

I was comparing what we have with these keepers in my turds and shite comments btw.

Don't get me wrong, Almunia fills me with dread and don't get me started on Flappyhandski.........just that Schwarzer and Given are not the obvious answer.

Wiggipedia wrote:

both have conceded more goals every season than Almunia.

btw.

A keeper playing for Newcastle and Fulham/Boro concedes more goals than an Arsenal keeper, wonder why?

Wiggipedia wrote:

Don't get me wrong, Almunia fills me with dread and don't get me started on Flappyhandski.........just that Schwarzer and Given are not the obvious answer.

If schwartzer isn't the answer, why did wenger bid for him?

Wiggipedia wrote:

It seems like nonsense I know but I'm afraid the facts speak for themselves. Given never, ever comes for crosses, his is caught static so many times it's not true. Sure he was a very good keeper but recent seasons he's lost his consistency. Why would Citeh replace him with what is a great rookie keeper in the making but a rookie nonetheless. With 100 caps and 450 games under his belt at 33 which is a great age for a keeper he's been dropped for an unproven if gifted keeper. Schwarzer has won fuck all and the biggest game he's played in is a Europa Cup Final in which he made bad errors. You only think they make less howlers than Almunia, the stats say otherwise, both have conceded more goals every season than Almunia. Endyfuckinstory.

I was comparing what we have with these keepers in my turds and shite comments btw.

failing to mention the word consistency of said goalkeepers over the course of 10 years says alot also. Endyfuckinnonsense.

Big Fella wrote:
Wiggipedia wrote:

If schwartzer isn't the answer, why did wenger bid for him?

Wenger has never once spoken about him, that was the Welsh Windbag at Fulham doing all the talking on that one.

Sure they've been decent keepers over the last 10 years, I was excited at the prospect of Given coming in, Schwarzer too only a little less so. Having looked at them more closely I won't be gutted if one of them joined us in January but I won't see it as a massive improvement on what we have that's all. Consistency means nothing if you start playing like a retard seal on K, which is doing Schwarzer a favour at the moment.

Wiggi's on the wind up me thinks..

I'm serious, Ed. If he's not good enough for Mancini he's not good enough for Arsenal. Citeh have stopped shipping goals since he made the changes, ok Lescott and Bridge have been dropped too but that's life at that club now. Give me Buffon, Cech or even Reina, then I'm interested.

You've got a point about him not being good enough for Man City.

BF has a great point. I wonder would Cech still have the same rep if he played for Newcastle? Highly improbable.

The city situation with Given had more to do with a difference of opinions and a clash of personalities, not goalkeeping merit.

Given is more than capable of being no.1 at Arsenal and you'd be foolish to think otherwise.

starcreeper wrote:

BF has a great point. I wonder would Cech still have the same rep if he played for Newcastle? Highly improbable.

The city situation with Given had more to do with a difference of opinions and a clash of personalities, not goalkeeping merit.

Given is more than capable of being no.1 at Arsenal and you'd be foolish to think otherwise.

Put that post in the past tense and you'd be close except that there is no clash of personalities, Given has only kicked off after he was dropped, not before, unless you have proof of that? At this point in time he is not good enough, he was superb at Newcastle and didn't he have Titus Shambles in front of him at the time? Good keepers give their defence confidence, not the other way around.