Topic: Theres a problem....

Hi
theres a problem with Breaks in Germany, if not worldwide....
I own germany's best and only real Breakbeat Record shop (Only breaks, only Vinyl) -  Divinyl, Berlin. I even run my own independant Import from England, just to show how enthusiastic I am. And I have the same problem as the rest of the Breaks Fans in the whole of Europe..... it's called the "Exclusive Contract" syndrome...
This problem is as follows... the labels in England, small or big,  want to get represented internationally, so they go to a big , international Distributer - mostly a big techno/house company, like Unique or Amato,  who demands , normally, an exclusive contract - that means no-one else can buy direct from the Label, no shop, no foreign Distributer, not even if they turn up with cash (as I had last week at Fingerlickin., ....   :? . And dafter - the English distributer has an exclusive Contract with one German distributer,  so all Breaks records have to go over at least 2 big distributers, and because the small shops can't buy from the big Distributers, there are smaller distributers who  buy from the big ones...... the end result is, the prices are so high that small shops can't survive... which is killing Breaks in Europe.
So if you're in the know, if you've got contacts or friends in labels or distibuters.... tell them this - exclusive contracts kill fair trade, and the European breaks market is being strangled by this dog in the manger attitude. .
Help us. Help Breaks.
Break the System - free Breaks!

www.divinyl.de - the right to break the beat

Re: Theres a problem....

Hi Guy
Those are all fair comments mate and I have a great deal of sympathy for you and your punters. Guess it makes what you do a real labour of love if you have that much difficulty . . .

But looking at this from an artist's and label's eye view - if you're a small outfit and just starting out then surely the only chance you have of getting off the ground is to have a distribution deal. Looking at it from the UK, you can bet that they'll assume that no-one in Germany is interested in some obscure breaks release . . . and their spin on it will be that if there ARE people in Germany who want some UK breaks, then they'll be subject to an additional 'import' cost which goes straight into the pockets of God knows how many Distributers . . .

But it's a damn good point . . . just ask that you look at the artists who, when they start out are undoubtebly not very well off and keen to get their music out whatever way they can - I'm sure there are countless acts who started this way so we can't really grumble too much . . .

What you need to do Guy is start encouraging more and more of your German punters to start making breaks tracks so you can turn around and tell all us Brits to stick our breaks up are ar#ses coz the stuff you guys are banging out makes us look like a bunch of David Hasselhoff fans. And the ultimate irony will come when the UK punters get charged through the teeth for buying these imports from Germany !!

Deutsch Breaks Uber Alles . . . . or something . . .

respect