Re: Recommend me some powered speakers for about £100

Presto wrote:

Like I said, they don't have to set the world alight, which yeah I guess does go against my pickiness with regards to audio fidelity.
We'll see when they turn up tomorrow and I've given them a chance to bed in.

thing is: if you have never heard really good monitors, you don't know what you are missing.

he knows good Monster munch when he tastes them.

"You would, you fat greasy chip eating cunt". Creepy March 2014

faible wrote:

thing is: if you have never heard really good monitors, you don't know what you are missing.

And if I have heard really good monitors and do know what I am missing?

faible wrote:
Presto wrote:

Like I said, they don't have to set the world alight, which yeah I guess does go against my pickiness with regards to audio fidelity.
We'll see when they turn up tomorrow and I've given them a chance to bed in.

Monitors aren't much fun to listen to music on on a day to day basis.

Well the things have arrived and they've already impressed me. Nice and weighty units plus the build quality belies the price tag; sturdy with a lovely wooden finish. Gonna let them bed in before I make a comment on their audio quality but tbh, they don't sound half bad out of the box. Excellent stereo separation on them.

Last edited by Presto (Friday Jan 2013 05:02:40)

Do they keep your bedsit warm?

My house is nice and warm as it is, ta.

Initial impressions is that those reviews were right; there is no way this set should be £40. The sub is starting to come alive and is complementing the speakers perfectly. The detail and clarity in these things is superb and I'm even hearing more than I do in my KEFs back home. Stereo separation is excellent, even though I have them less than a metre apart at the moment. They are plenty loud enough without going anywhere near full whack.

Going to be running of a hell of a lot of different things through them over the weekend to see how they cope. But colour me impressed so far.

I hope you intend playing FLAC through them, Presto.

Once you go FLAC, you never go back.

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

Oh but of course. Have This Binary Universe, my standard speaker test, in flac just waiting to go.

Good lad.

I can't be bothered backtracking through this thead, so apologies if you've already settled on a set of speakers.

If you haven't get yourself on eBay and see if you can get lucky with a pair of Event TR8XL. I have seen these listed anywhere from just over £100 to £200.

Regardless of what anyone else has written in this thread, these are the speakers that you want for that price.

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

I took a punt on a Microlabs FC330 2.1 set. Glad I did tbh as they are sounding excellent. I will say again that there is no way these should be sold for £40.

My Tannoy Reveals have done me well over the years.

Just watched The Avengers through these. Sounds were well directioned and the sub made the room rumble where it mattered. I actually can't get over how good a job these things do. Was playing music throughout the afternoon and they just got better and better with each track.

...have test-driven a lot of monitors recently, have to say, you get incredible bang for your buck when it comes to computer speakers/monitoring these days

Finally flogged the big Genelecs before Christmas, in the market for a new setup in the next couple of months...

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

There's bang for buck and then there are systems that surpass all expectations. These have totally done the latter. Might buy another set for when I'm back at my Mom's in the holidays. It's a beautifully configured system.

What is this word 'mom' ? i have not come across it before in the English language.

Very commonplace in Birmingham.

Are you still chubbing your monkey over these presto, having had them a while?

They're very good, aye.

Only snag I came across was that the first set had a very audible buzz coming from the subwoofer, after a few days, so I had them replaced. New set is fine.

I probably blew my beans a bit too prematurely over the KEF thing. A bit of an unfair test seeing as they are stuck in a tiny room at my Mom's (deal with it) and sound a lot better in the right environment.

But yeah, for the price I paid. Still very, very good.

Hmmm im considering a pair but ive recently heard the m-audios again and they rock. i find it hard to believe 40 bone would out perform them and build quality. My frankenspiels are great but lack interface. My Alesis are starting to lose their control after 7 ish years and dont want to buy anything that heavy again.

Last edited by Dermo (Sunday Mar 2013 05:26:42)

No... I need that to live...

Hey presto have you used these for mixing on yet? Are they monitor sounding or speaker sounding?

Si,

where did you buy the microlabs from?

Dermo wrote:

Hey presto have you used these for mixing on yet? Are they monitor sounding or speaker sounding?

Nope. They sound a bit colourful for monitor sounding so I'd go with the latter.

Mickyd. I bought them from scan.co.uk as I get free next day delivery from there (plus if anything goes wrong they will send a courier out to pick it up). But you can also get them from Amazon.

No decent electrical goods can be bought for under a ton.