Topic: Pierre's Book Corner

It's been a while folks. I'm probably one of the few on here who a) can read and b) does.
Share your recent/favourite literary delights. The Dubious Books Panel will decide if Kindles are allowed. The work of the devil they may be but we will allow for the fripperies of youthfulness and ignorance.

Just finished Stonemouth by Iain Banks which is a good read. Liked The Wasp Factory but kinda went off him after The Bridge. He's back on form with this one but I wouldn't be expecting great things from him in the future, considering he has bad cancer.

Re: Pierre's Book Corner

La Nausee wrote:

I'm probably one of the few on here who a) can read and b) does.

You cheeky bugger, when I'm not bothering you lot I'm bothering printed pages. Like a boss.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Kids. Cancer. Good times.

Man in the Empty Suit by Sean Ferrell. Post-apocalyptic neo-noir about a time-traveller.

In the Country of Men by Hisham Matar. Growing up in Libya during the rise of Gaddafi.

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Enjoyed it more than A Game of Thrones. Hope to finish off the series this year.

I've also been stocking up on Jasper Fforde's books. Loved The Fourth Bear. The Eyre Affair was pretty good, too.

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
La Nausee wrote:

I'm probably one of the few on here who a) can read and b) does.

You cheeky bugger, when I'm not bothering you lot I'm bothering printed pages. Like a boss.

I need evidence.

I'm currently reading Tommy Cooper's autobiography Always Leave Them Laughing, LSD: My Problem Child by Albert Hofman, Hockney on Art by David Hockney and Paul Joyce, and The Stones of Venice by John Ruskin.

Last edited by flares_and_an_anorak (Saturday Jun 2013 15:59:47)

wikipedia: List of Pre-Modern combat weapons

Bruce Lee's Facebook page

Infowars.com

Anything by Stephen King.

Roger's Profanisaurus: The Magna Farta

DJ Matt Black. Continuously dumbfounding the masses with his cryptic and incoherent reviews.

Mens Health, Auto Trader, Fast cars, Razzle Reader wives.

Part of the problem

Recent books:

The Tall Man by Chloe Hooper -  True story about an aboriginal guy who got arrested for being drunk. 45 mins he ws dead with his liver split in 2. Obviously the police didn't beat him up. Not at all.

The Secret River by Kate Grenville - Fiction about a guy who gets sent to Sydney for being a crook and then sets up a plot of land up this river.

John Le Carre - A delicate Truth - Not a great book by Le Carre standards. lots of old boy type networks. Not a touch on most of his stuff

The Rosie Project - Fiction about an autistic guy who gets himself a sassy girlfriend. Good read.

Jeremy Paxman - The Political Animal. A bit of an insight into how sad most MPs actually are.

Bill Bryson - Down Under - It's like my guide book at the moment

Some chick lit book which was all that was left at the end of the holiday that I hadn't read already. It had so much oestrogen in it it gave me fucking period pain. Bits of it were quite funny though.

Loop Music Mix Show

http://www.loop-music.co.uk

starcreeper wrote:

old hat mate, its been updated since then

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

Nick Sneddon wrote:
starcreeper wrote:

old hat mate, its been updated since then

Great work. I look forward to reading it. It can only be a good thing if they update this kind of genius.

DJ Matt Black. Continuously dumbfounding the masses with his cryptic and incoherent reviews.

Recently read all of Jonathan Dee's novels, enjoyed especially The Privileges and Palladio.

Currently:

The Moviegoer - Walker Percy
Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins
Lit - Mary Karr
Pastoralia - George Saunders

And slowly working through Philip Roth's oeuvre.

I aspire to some day have as many books in my collection as Flares_and_an_Anorak, literally thousands.

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

Id love to read some of those but I expect a lot of them mentioned lack pictures.

Part of the problem

Slabs wrote:

I aspire to some day have as many books in my collection as Flares_and_an_Anorak, literally thousands.

It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality, and there's no point trying to emulate me if you're mired in drivel like Philip Roth.

Loved Fifty shades of grey. Top read. Hope the film is as good.

Part of the problem

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
Slabs wrote:

It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality, and there's no point trying to emulate me if you're mired in drivel like Philip Roth.

Have you read any of his Zuckerman novels? If you have and still consider him "drivel", there's not much I can do for you.

I'd be interested to hear who you consider to be a good novelist, in any case.

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

La Nausee wrote:

It's been a while folks. I'm probably one of the few on here who a) can read and b) does.
Share your recent/favourite literary delights. The Dubious Books Panel will decide if Kindles are allowed. The work of the devil they may be but we will allow for the fripperies of youthfulness and ignorance.

Just finished Stonemouth by Iain Banks which is a good read. Liked The Wasp Factory but kinda went off him after The Bridge. He's back on form with this one but I wouldn't be expecting great things from him in the future, considering he has bad cancer.

Just started Stonemouth - read Complicity earlier this year, that's a belter too if you've not read it.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Kill Your Friends by John Niven - I had a lot of recommendations for that.  A brutal, but very funny book about the music industry in the mid to late 90s - American Psycho-ish, probably slightly less clever, but definitely more amusing.

Loving re-reading this one. This cunt gets right what's coming to him.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ta8RYLLwqtY/TjBQbnsXeLI/AAAAAAAAAH8/mMe--5wEsg0/s1600/stephenking.jpg

fadass wrote:

Loving re-reading this one. This cunt gets right what's coming to him.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ta8RYLLwqtY/TjBQbnsXeLI/AAAAAAAAAH8/mMe--5wEsg0/s1600/stephenking.jpg

Lmao. Nutter.

Slabs wrote:

I'd be interested to hear who you consider to be a good novelist, in any case.

Christ, there's so many. A selection from my shelves:

Nelson Algren
Sherwood Anderson
H.P. Lovecraft
James Conrad
Graham Greene
Bukowski, Burroughs, Ferlinghetti etc.
John Fante
Andre Gide
Dickens
C.S Lewis
Hemingway
Knut Hamsun
Alexander Trocchi
Steinbeck
Arthur Machin
Don DeLillo
Patrick Hamilton
Doris Lessing
W. Somerset Maugham
Norman Mailer

I thought the only people who read books were mass murderers and loosers with no social life?

Look what catcher in the rye did to Mark Chapman

I have many leather bound books.

Prog God

smallman1 wrote:

I thought the only people who read books were mass murderers and loosers with no social life?

There's no doubt in my mind that those demographics are covered. Carl Panzram for example, was one of the purest psychopaths in recorded history, yet read widely right up until the day of his execution. One thing we can be certain of, those who do read regularly wouldn't embarrass themselves by spelling 'losers' incorrectly in a public forum.

Agreed. There's some right fucking loosers on this forum. Ed being one of them.

Part of the problem

steelydan wrote:

Look what catcher in the rye did to Mark Chapman

Bored the hole off him?

Shit book.

------------
I am STILL a child of the 80s mix: https://soundcloud.com/themills23/i-am- … of-the-80s