Re: Pierre's Book Corner

If i'm ever going to murder a Scouser, this is the book I will read just before.

Part of the problem

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

I thought the only people who read books were mass murderers and loosers with no social life?

There's no doubt in my mind that those demographics are covered. Carl Panzram for example, was one of the purest psychopaths in recorded history, yet read widely right up until the day of his execution. One thing we can be certain of, those who do read regularly wouldn't embarrass themselves by spelling 'losers' incorrectly in a public forum.

Too easy.

Crime - Irvine Welsh
Skagboys - Irvine Welsh

the man is a complete genius. more creative than Banks, better plots than Rankin, i'd put him in the same bracket as Burns.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King
Legs are very frickin important parts of the woman, thin ankle and tense bop is a must.
MateGreen

Slabs wrote:
Slabs wrote:

I aspire to some day have as many books in my collection as Flares_and_an_Anorak, literally thousands.

It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality, and there's no point trying to emulate me if you're mired in drivel like Philip Roth.

Have you read any of his Zuckerman novels? If you have and still consider him "drivel", there's not much I can do for you.

I'd be interested to hear who you consider to be a good novelist, in any case.

The Human Stain is a good read....and American Pastoral.  Never heard Roth's works described as "drivel" but each to their own I guess. He's considered one of the great American novelists....

chromosome_junction wrote:

Crime - Irvine Welsh
Skagboys - Irvine Welsh

the man is a complete genius. more creative than Banks, better plots than Rankin, i'd put him in the same bracket as Burns.

Tommy Burns? You don't know what you are talking about, loon.

Finally getting around to reading Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicle. It's longer than War and Peace, however. I need to fake illness for two weeks like La Nausee did to get me through it. Although I've got a really crap sick voice on the phone, and will need to practice it in front of a mirror for like 2 hours before I call my boss.

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

Crime - Irvine Welsh
Skagboys - Irvine Welsh

Finally getting around to reading Murakami's Wind Up Bird Chronicle. It's longer than War and Peace, however. I need to fake illness for two weeks like La Nausee did to get me through it. Although I've got a really crap sick voice on the phone, and will need to practice it in front of a mirror for like 2 hours before I call my boss.

Antony Beevor's Stalingrad is a cracking read

As is David Byrne's 'how music works'

Most of the good books have been made into films.

#justsayin

steelydan wrote:
Henry Rindhoops wrote:

Crime - Irvine Welsh
Skagboys - Irvine Welsh

Antony Beevor's Stalingrad is a cracking read

Indeed. D-Day is another one of his. Excellent stuff.

And Berlin

Can't beat a good Barbara Cartland novel.Especially when everyone gets their kit off.

Part of the problem

La Nausee wrote:

He's considered one of the great American novelists....

Up there with Faulkner, Hemingway or Fitzgerald? You're having a giraffe mate...

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

La Nausee wrote:

Up there with Faulkner, Hemingway or Fitzgerald? You're having a giraffe mate...

Not necessarily my opinion chief. I should have said modern American novelists.....like DeLillo or Updike...

La Nausee wrote:
La Nausee wrote:

Not necessarily my opinion chief. I should have said modern American novelists.....like DeLillo or Updike...

Fair enough. Two of the greats right there, alongside Mailer and Cormac McCarthy...

smallman1 wrote:
smallman1 wrote:

I thought the only people who read books were mass murderers and loosers with no social life?

There's no doubt in my mind that those demographics are covered. Carl Panzram for example, was one of the purest psychopaths in recorded history, yet read widely right up until the day of his execution. One thing we can be certain of, those who do read regularly wouldn't embarrass themselves by spelling 'losers' incorrectly in a public forum.

Too easy.

Rediculously easy!

La Nausee wrote:

Fair enough. Two of the greats right there, alongside Mailer and Cormac McCarthy...

So Updike, DeLillo, Mailer, & McCarthy are among the "greats," (agreed) but Roth isn't? Pfft.

Or maybe you were just trying to have a nibble because I made light of your ridiculous "thousands of books" comment?

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

The Childhood of Jesus by JM Coetzee. An excellent novelist.

So Updike, DeLillo, Mailer, & McCarthy are among the "greats," (agreed) but Roth isn't?

Correct. I've spoken to enough people in the book trade who also think he's dull as dishwater.

Or maybe you were just trying to have a nibble because I made light of your ridiculous "thousands of books" comment?

If I want a nibble I'll go to the fridge and get some cheese. You gave that comment the attention it so richly didn't deserve, so more fool you. There's none so blind as they that won't see...

I'm so glad you found this place.

sabotini wrote:

I'm so glad you found this place.

It doesn't matter what you're glad about.

Mr Flares, just a quick question if you don't mind, sir? Do you smoke a lot of pot?

Currently knee-deep in 'England Away' by John King and 'What Stephen Harper Is Reading' by Yann Martel (the guy who's behind The Life of Pi).

Both are excellent in their own way.

Phil Opian wrote:

Mr Flares, just a quick question if you don't mind, sir? Do you smoke a lot of pot?

Define 'a lot'.

Like every day for example. Since you cant even remember when.

Phil Opian wrote:

Define 'a lot'.

Gotta lovely bit of kush from my friends in the forces.