Topic: Betoko

Leftfield Song of Life Remix IMPORTANT - A lot of you will be aware we were planning a remix of this track to launch a series of remixes from the original The Mix Collection compilation. Tale of Us initially took it on but didn't deliver a mix that either they or we were satisfied with. We then agreed to a Visionquest remix but after 4 months of waiting it didn't get delivered.

Meanwhile, in October last year we gave the parts to Betoko, a relatively unknown producer/DJ who, as you can imagine, was honoured that he'd even been considered. The mix he delivered was pretty good but was always going to be the B side because the track, and the concept, warranted a higher-profile headline mix. Technically we shouldn't have passed the parts to another person but we wanted to go back to Sony, who licensed the rights to us, with a finished package before getting full acceptance and clearance, which we were confident of getting once we delivered the right package.

We told Beto we liked and wanted to use the mix but were still working on the main mix so just sit tight. We then got an email from his management in December asking what our plans were for the release. At the time, we were still waiting for Visionquest to deliver, so didn't respond as we had already told Beto we wanted to use the mix anyway and could only give a release schedule and plan to them when we had all the mixes delivered.

We then contacted Beto again at the beginning of May to say hold tight, we had been let down and were working on the main mix still. Beto didn't respond!

We have now learned that, without any further attempt to contact us, Betoko and his management went completely behind our backs to Sony and Leftfield and licensed the remix themselves and are releasing it on Hope Recordings!!!

We tried to contact Betoko and he ignored us. When we contacted his management about this their attempt to hide behind legal jargon was astonishing but was the only place they could go given their outrageous actions. We were told that we weren't legally in a position to give the parts to Betoko in the first place under the terms of our agreement with Sony and were therefore in breach of that agreement. We weren't told this by Sony, but by Betoko's management ...WTF!!! If we hadn't given him the parts then THEY wouldn't be releasing it either!!!

This is a project that Betoko wouldn't have even dreamed of doing had he not had it generously placed at his door by Renaissance. We don't give such projects out lightly and we intended to fully get behind Betoko as a producer and DJ around and beyond the release of the single. Needless to say that won't be happening now... quite the opposite in fact!

Furthermore, he has not only taken the remix away from us, which was our idea in the first place, but the entire concept is pretty much pointless now despite us having further remixes in the series all ready to go!

As you can imagine we are outraged and shocked by his and his managements behaviour at such an early stage in his career.

Our personal stance Betoko, is may your career be as short-lived and uneventful as your actions deserve!
3 hours ago

https://www.facebook.com/renaissancedj/ … ment_reply

Re: Betoko

'Technically we shouldn't have passed the parts to another person'

dohhhh

Muzika Dan@Ukiyo Dublin 24-5-14 by Dan (High-Soul Society)
http://soundcloud.com/dannyoliver72/dan … 14/s-cmShA

‘dj’ Matt Black loves a good gossip innit

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

It's shit anyway.

haha.

To be fair Renaissance have turned countless people over, over the years. They went tits up owing people fucking loads for work and didn't refund WITC tickets when that fucked itself either. What goes around etc. Fuck them.

Part of the problem

I hope he goes far tbh

It also serves them right for giving remix duties of such legends to cunts like Visionquest and Betoko. Whoever the fuck he is.

Part of the problem

Most punters these days (the younger breed) prob have no idea about song of life or the mix collection...get over it Geoff. It's not as bad as that Welshman shagging your bird.

Last edited by steelydan (Monday Jun 2013 05:32:34)

Other way round.

Part of the problem

There are pylons everywhere in the industry, and unfortunately, childish behavior is never a surprise. I'm not saying either is right in this case, but if you can't be a better person about it then there's really nothing better to expect.

This is what happens when peoples "management" get involved

Didn't he play for Brazil?

MattBlack wrote:

This is what happens when peoples "management" get involved

Its not Matt its because the entire industry is chock-a-block with cunts of this magnitude.

Part of the problem

Renaissance having an absolute reg.

I wouldn't mind but the remix is shite anyway.

Part of the problem

I liked the bit where Betoko emailed them asking about the remix and they didn't respond. They then cry because him and his management don't respond.

Renaissance are double standard cunts. Always have been.

Part of the problem

Betoko has definitely gone up in my estimation.

Obviously hope for his sake that Big Marcus James doesn't get involved.

Dermo wrote:

It also serves them right for giving remix duties of such legends to cunts like Visionquest and Betoko. Whoever the fuck he is.

quite

they should've asked Loopy imo

I can't take your grievance seriously if you have to use exclamation points to make your point! It's really annoying!

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

MattBlack wrote:

after 4 months of waiting it didn't get delivered

Should have sent it to me, I would have had it done in no more than 3 months and 27 days.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Dermo wrote:

exactly

erik.b wrote:
Dermo wrote:

exactly

+100000....

...no-mark kid does pointless remix of ancient track and pisses off irrelevant label who cry about it to their delusional Facebook followers

This industry needs an enema

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Unbroken1 wrote:

This industry needs an enema

ain't that the truth