Re: Betoko

Unbroken1 wrote:

...no-mark kid does pointless remix of ancient track and pisses off irrelevant label who cry about it to their delusional Facebook followers

This industry needs an enema


If I may, what it needs is more heads to stop doing remixes and put their energies into producing original material. I get the whole 'exposure and easy money' thing but c'mon...the market seems to be saturated with them, all of which belong to the label and not the   guy doing the remix. I don't know what the going rate is these days but once the money's gone it's gone - if you own 100% of everything you produce you can licence it, re-release it, remix it yourself, whatever you wanna do, into perpetuity.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Betoko

the going rate is about £500 as a remixer

Re: Betoko

I reckon they should have given the parts to our Damo, Im not kidding either

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

Re: Betoko

i'd like to hear that tbh

Re: Betoko

innit

When I play......no dog barks!!!!

Re: Betoko

...much as I'd love a crack, I can't really see any update of that track being widely accepted tbh

soundcloud.com/unbroken1

Re: Betoko

Unbroken1 wrote:

...much as I'd love a crack, I can't really see any update of that track being widely accepted tbh

Agreed - this one just doesnt sound right to me...

Re: Betoko

steelydan wrote:

the going rate is about £500 as a remixer

Wow, it has dropped. Used to get 2 or 3 grand in days gone by. Still, it's no surprise given the volume of producers now. No wonder guys do remixes as often as possible - if you're trying to make a living from it I guess you can't afford to turn down the work.

Last edited by flares_and_an_anorak (Tuesday Jun 2013 10:44:31)

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Betoko

Not worth getting out of bed for a few grand.

Re: Betoko

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
steelydan wrote:

the going rate is about £500 as a remixer

Wow, it has dropped. Used to get 2 or 3 grand in days gone by. Still, it's no surprise given the volume of producers now. No wonder guys do remixes as often as possible - if you're trying to make a living from it I guess you can't afford to turn down the work.

Defiantly....the market is saturated. My label mate was one half of SPS and was getting 3 grand for perfecto stuff in 96 and about 5 grand for remixing Dave Stewart. I had a track on a compilation and ended up with a one off fee (as the remixer) of £500. You can register with PRS but I can't see the point. Like KOS said...it's better to be the sole artist.

Re: Betoko

TBF to this Betoko fella-can't really blame him for taken his wares elsewhere if a non-entity organisation can't get their shit together and can't even be bothered to give him the courtesy of a quick email reply explaining their ineptitude.

Re: Betoko

steelydan wrote:
flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
steelydan wrote:

the going rate is about £500 as a remixer

Wow, it has dropped. Used to get 2 or 3 grand in days gone by. Still, it's no surprise given the volume of producers now. No wonder guys do remixes as often as possible - if you're trying to make a living from it I guess you can't afford to turn down the work.

Defiantly....the market is saturated. My label mate was one half of SPS and was getting 3 grand for perfecto stuff in 96 and about 5 grand for remixing Dave Stewart. I had a track on a compilation and ended up with a one off fee (as the remixer) of £500. You can register with PRS but I can't see the point. Like KOS said...it's better to be the sole artist.

The real money is in the publishing though

Re: Betoko

stylustrouble wrote:

TBF to this Betoko fella-can't really blame him for taken his wares elsewhere if a non-entity organisation can't get their shit together and can't even be bothered to give him the courtesy of a quick email reply explaining their ineptitude.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4hWNFuIJFKY8BHWAoaZvUFfgSj2BElapvaneFHj3N29rwlxIL

Re: Betoko

MattBlack wrote:

The real money is in the publishing though


Agreed. I think my first publishing deal was about ten grand, and that's chump change compared to some of the moolah being thrown at some artists. It gets cutthroat out there though - I've known of people getting producer points on platinum records who just sat at the back of the studio and rolled joints. Publishing and touring brings in the hard currency, if that's what you're in it for...

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Re: Betoko

Big Fella wrote:

Not worth getting out of bed for a few grand.


you tell 'em, Linda

Any girl that can't distinguish between her grandmother and a wolf is either as dense as teak or comes from a really ugly family

Re: Betoko

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
MattBlack wrote:

The real money is in the publishing though


Agreed. I think my first publishing deal was about ten grand, and that's chump change compared to some of the moolah being thrown at some artists. It gets cutthroat out there though - I've known of people getting producer points on platinum records who just sat at the back of the studio and rolled joints. Publishing and touring brings in the hard currency, if that's what you're in it for...

Licensing as well, but that ties into the whole publishing thing.  Being published doesn't mean shit these days though.  I was published for 2 years and the publisher sat on my stuff and did nothing with it.  By the time I left, they'd gotten rid of their entire electronic music arm and gone for shite rock and roll/rap - which is amusing when you consider the boom that's going on now.

Re: Betoko

That is amusing Loopy.

Re: Betoko

haha the only thing loopy could say to amuse me would be reporting he was going to barrel roll in front of a steamroller.

Last edited by Dermo (Friday Jun 2013 01:40:45)

Part of the problem

Re: Betoko

I'm led to believe that allegedly 'Sticky1' had a hand in engineering the Sony deal for Betoko.

Last edited by Kumquat (Friday Jun 2013 02:20:40)

Re: Betoko

Aaaah really. Would be fun to get him on here.

Part of the problem

Re: Betoko

loopdokter wrote:
flares_and_an_anorak wrote:
MattBlack wrote:

The real money is in the publishing though


Agreed. I think my first publishing deal was about ten grand, and that's chump change compared to some of the moolah being thrown at some artists. It gets cutthroat out there though - I've known of people getting producer points on platinum records who just sat at the back of the studio and rolled joints. Publishing and touring brings in the hard currency, if that's what you're in it for...

Licensing as well, but that ties into the whole publishing thing.  Being published doesn't mean shit these days though.  I was published for 2 years and the publisher sat on my stuff and did nothing with it.  By the time I left, they'd gotten rid of their entire electronic music arm and gone for shite rock and roll/rap - which is amusing when you consider the boom that's going on now.

They sound like some heavy hitters, Loopy.

Re: Betoko

starcreeper wrote:
loopdokter wrote:
flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

Agreed. I think my first publishing deal was about ten grand, and that's chump change compared to some of the moolah being thrown at some artists. It gets cutthroat out there though - I've known of people getting producer points on platinum records who just sat at the back of the studio and rolled joints. Publishing and touring brings in the hard currency, if that's what you're in it for...

Licensing as well, but that ties into the whole publishing thing.  Being published doesn't mean shit these days though.  I was published for 2 years and the publisher sat on my stuff and did nothing with it.  By the time I left, they'd gotten rid of their entire electronic music arm and gone for shite rock and roll/rap - which is amusing when you consider the boom that's going on now.

They sound like some heavy hitters, Loopy.

Surely being published in Canada.....actually,scratch that.....being ANYTHING in Canada doesn't hold any gravitas in the general scheme of things.

Re: Betoko

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_W6Jz28sM_M/TlbDYIs4W-I/AAAAAAAAAP8/DrRWU1yVKxI/s1600/southpark03.jpg

Re: Betoko

stylustrouble wrote:

Surely being published in Canada.....actually,scratch that.....being ANYTHING in Canada doesn't hold any gravitas in the general scheme of things.

First, it was a UK-based company and they held the rights for my catalogue world-wide.  As with a lot of things in music, it started off well and went downhill after my contact left the company and was served with an order that didn't allow him to talk about the terms of his leaving for a year.  In his place they 'hired' several unpaid interns who had no experience with publishing whatsoever.

Second, that's entirely false.  There's quite a few publishers (outside of the major labels' own entities) that own the rights to artists from all over the world.  Ole is one of the bigger ones.  Nettwerk is another.  The list goes on really.

Publishing doesn't matter on where the company is geographically located as long as they manage to place their artist's material and recoup their mechanical royalties.  Generally speaking if you're an artist that's not hitting the charts and are managing to make a living, this is usually one of your main income streams.

Re: Betoko

loopdokter wrote:

Third, I have Tourettes.

Part of the problem