Topic: 1 million protesters on the streets...

Will the World Cup get moved? Rumours are its being considered.

Plenty of potential candidates -
England - just hosted a successful Olympics, successfully hosted Euro 96 and bid for the 2018 World Cup, loads of football stadiums, although not guaranteed to qualify
Germany - successfully hosted in 2006
Japan - already qualified (removing the headache of allocating an extra place) and successfully co-hosted in 2002, has the stadiums and infrastructure to do it at short notice
USA - could probably organise shit like this at a drop of a hat
France - successfully hosted in 1998, good infrastructure, NEED the economic boost
Italy even?

草泥马

Re: 1 million protesters on the streets...

Give it to us for next year, Brazil can have it in 2022 when they sort it out, and Qatar can have it in 2026.

Jack is back baby.....

Laughing Jack wrote:

Give it to us for next year, Brazil can have it in 2022 when they sort it out, and Qatar can have it in 2026.

Like the sound of that but Fifa would rather give it to somewhere like Tahiti rather than us

I honestly reckon us or Japan would be the most likely candidates.

草泥马

don't we want it when we have a half chance of making the semis?

------------
Millsy , you're a board titan and beyond mere platitudes. Your contribution speaks for itself.

niton (Oct 14)

MattBlack wrote:
Laughing Jack wrote:

Like the sound of that but Fifa would rather give it to somewhere like Tahiti rather than us

Plus it gives Qatar enough time by 2026 to be outed as the bribe infested bid that it was and enough time to grow the requisite amount of pitches in that dessert sun. Just reading on The World Cup Conspiracy site that they didn't give the bid to England just in case it went tits up in Brazil. Knight in shining armour, football coming home, etc.

Jack is back baby.....

England are going to qualify for Brazil 2014.

You heard it here first.

Mexico have the track record for picking up World Cups at the last minute.

I've not been following this story closely but a few million people protesting over the price of a bus fare is hardly a good reason to shift the World Cup. Has Pele come out and spoken to the crowd yet?

Is it just me or does anyone else want to punch Sepp Blatters fat face in everytime he refers to the "Fifa football family"

Hes being very honest in fairness, Matt.

DJ Matt Black. Continuously dumbfounding the masses with his cryptic and incoherent reviews.

Would be good if we got given the World Cup now as it'd be the only way we'd have half a chance of winning it anytime soon.

Judging by the pitiful display of the U-21s recently,the next crop of players clearly aren't up to the grade.

stylustrouble wrote:

Would be good if we got given the World Cup now as it'd be the only way we'd have half a chance of winning it anytime soon.

Lol.

England getting humiliated on their own patch would be funny.

Lol

England wouldn't win the WC if they were given a bye to a Wembley final against Tahiti.

Mr Boring wrote:

Mexico have the track record for picking up World Cups at the last minute.

I've not been following this story closely but a few million people protesting over the price of a bus fare is hardly a good reason to shift the World Cup. Has Pele come out and spoken to the crowd yet?

It's quite bit more than that.  The bus fare raise was a what broke the camel's back.

Here's a good video that sums things up from a Brazilian perspective:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=282057565272808

The interesting thing about this is that it's Brazilians of all economic backgrounds out in the streets protesting.  A lot of this stuff was being ignored when their GDP was growing exponentially, but now it's stagnant.

Big Fella wrote:

Lol

England wouldn't win the WC if they were given a bye to a Wembley final against Tahiti.

gen lol at us

------------
Millsy , you're a board titan and beyond mere platitudes. Your contribution speaks for itself.

niton (Oct 14)

Times are bleak in Brazil it would seem

dutchy101 wrote:

Times are bleak in Brazil it would seem

I hear there's a burgeoning baile funk and samba scene there are a result.

They have the two biggest sporting events in history coming to them in the next few years. Massive cost & logistical operations. Looks like a massive risk.

loopdokter wrote:

I hear there's a burgeoning baile funk...scene there are a result.

Baile funk IS Brazilian, how can there be a 'burgeoning' scene when they fucking invented it?

Thicketinho.

草泥马

Looking at that stadium in Brisbane with the ruggers chaps Austraila could host it,if it goes tits up.Think they lost out in one of the bids.As long as there are no vuvuzelas I don't mind where it's held.

Was discussing this with Fadas/Cliff Claven over a lunchtime pint today and we concurred that the Brazilian Old Bill have gone soft. Granted, they'd have some problem "disappearing" all the protesters. But in the good old days the junta would have whacked a few and buried them in a dump.

Beijing Dave wrote:

Baile funk IS Brazilian, how can there be a 'burgeoning' scene when they fucking invented it?

Thicketinho.

Dave, I was taking the piss out of myself in reference to acid house/Thatcher.  I'm not sure how you managed that oversight.

La Nausee wrote:

Was discussing this with Fadas/Cliff Claven over a lunchtime pint today and we concurred that the Brazilian Old Bill have gone soft. Granted, they'd have some problem "disappearing" all the protesters. But in the good old days the junta would have whacked a few and buried them in a dump.

These guys are far from soft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalh%C3% … _Especiais

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/30/bope1ep2vx4.jpg\

I sure as fuck wouldn't want to samba with them.

Last edited by loopdokter (Saturday Jun 2013 20:50:28)

You know times are bleak when you're having a lesson off loopy- and make no mistake - times are bleak

Part of the problem