Re: Guy J - Balance

We would be living in a pretty dull world if we all liked the same things Dufunk. For example, I enjoy the use of  correct punctuation and grammar whereas you enjoy copying and pasting from You Tube comments. It's all relative. I've not heard anything from Guy J to suggest I would enjoy his Balance mix. He's a technically gifted producer, but his music to date has done little to excite me.

------------
I am STILL a child of the 80s mix: https://soundcloud.com/themills23/i-am- … of-the-80s

millsy23 wrote:

whereas you enjoy copying and pasting from You Tube comments.

hahaha.......

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:
millsy23 wrote:

whereas you enjoy copying and pasting from You Tube comments.

hahaha.......

Nowt wrong with that.

MattBlack wrote:
Henry Rindhoops wrote:

You would have more aural enjoyment listening to your own farts in the bath after a night on the Guinness and a spicy mungbean daal.

So what do you like then Henry, please educate us on your infinitely superior musical taste please

I would love to mate.

However, it would be completely lost on somebody like yourself.

Keep it FLAC. Say NO to variable bit rates.

Henry Rindhoops wrote:

I would love to mate.

However, it would be completely lost on somebody like yourself.

http://i42.tinypic.com/23jlfky.gif

Worst gif ever, Yant. Sort it out.

For the record this isn't a bad album, but like most Guy J albums there's some good tracks but there are also one or two that are as dull as fuck, which is a shame

Not sure if I've ever mentioned bumping into High Earning Hernan outside Nike Town?

Lovely fella with sensational hair tbf.

Yant wrote:

You don't need a teaser anymore, DuFunk.

It's been released.

Lol.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

fadass wrote:

Ruining your enjoyment of the Friends boxset marathon.

------------
I am STILL a child of the 80s mix: https://soundcloud.com/themills23/i-am- … of-the-80s

Moshic still makes dark progressive stuff, listened to a recent radio show of his and it was actually quite good.  Not as boring as I thought it might be.

millsy23 wrote:
fadass wrote:

Ruining your enjoyment of the Friends boxset marathon.

Spoiler?

Henry swears by genuine 1210 mixes and Kumquat, who plays similar to Guy J to my ears. Strange all round really.

But hes right about Guy J. He would send me to sleep inside the speaker. Hes got great Lego Hair for a red sea pedestrian, Ill give him that though.

DJ Matt Black. Continuously dumbfounding the masses with his cryptic and incoherent reviews.

Guy J is dull. Great producer but has a habit of playing nothing but his own tracks, for hours and hours. Which is monotonous.

I've seen him twice and he's not a great DJ at all. Infact he definitely had the entire set programmed the first time and almost certain he did the second time too. That's not DJ'ing.

Avoiding this release like the plague, unless i'm given it for free.

I'm actually liking this mix a lot, def not peak time, but deep and programmed very well - proper home / headphone listening & there are some outstanding tracks as well.

These aren't the droids we're looking for, you can go about your business now, move along, move along...

I once thought Guy J was dull, but then I listened properly and realized how consistent he is, a rare feat in this industry. I'm not feeling all his tracks but the last year or so has clearly seen an evolution in his sound. He can do melodic, or percussive, even more abstract work and they sound distinct and well produced; not over fussy, but clearly arranged with the defining characteristics maintained throughout the record. His letthemusicplay remix from last year was fucking boss - I also loved his take on I Burn Like by Stelios. I don't get the ragging on a classic prog sound either. Ian O'Donovan is hot right now but his linear melodic vibe is really harking back to the old days of feel good, riff based progressive.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

i totally agree with you. he is consistently dull. that takes skill.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King
Legs are very frickin important parts of the woman, thin ankle and tense bop is a must.
MateGreen

chromosome_junction wrote:

he is consistently dull

I think I hear him weeping.

Guy J just remixes everything doesn't he? Old tracks - Guy j remix, new tracks - Guy j remix, Classics Guy J remix. He even does Guy J remixes of his own tracks. Even if it doesn't require a remix, Guy j will remix it. Fuckers remix mad.

Anyhow listened to his balance mix again today and his transitions mix. Its just the same isnt it? i mean every mix he does is the same. Its totally event-less. Out of ten for production its a 10, all shiny and new and totally faultless. polished to the extreme, nothing out of place.
But then have a rolling peaks and troughs scale of excitement through the mix and its just 5 all the way isn't it? There's no highs, there's no lows, its just plods along as all his other mixes do. Nothing more than pleasant background music.

Not for me just far too fucking boring.

Last edited by Dermo (Sunday Jul 2013 22:23:52)

Part of the problem

It's all about personal taste of course, but personally i couldn't disagree more.

I don't think i've heard a bad mix from him.  Every one is superbly programmed and builds well throughout.  IMO.

Downloaded this Balance release last night and listening to it right now.  So far, really enjoying it as exepcted.

You could have one mix of Guy J's and own all of them. Coz they all sound the fucking same.

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:

You could have one mix of Guy J's and own all of them. Coz they all sound the fucking same.

I get what you mean, Derms.  But for me that's not a bad thing.

Never going to set the world alight is he yant? never going to destroy a dance floor. Never going to leave people bouncing off walls requiring more. Nope and here's why.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY8I0zAl0xz97JaSoIrZQgXh-YTSxK0SLwFCzv9itC_li9sncx_A

Part of the problem

Dermo wrote:

and here's why.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY8I0zAl0xz97JaSoIrZQgXh-YTSxK0SLwFCzv9itC_li9sncx_A

Hmmmm.

Looks like a syrup to me.