Re: Greatest club side ever?

Mr Boring wrote:

Flares is obsessed with Fergie.

Yep .. real closet Black Eyed Peas fan ... textbook.

SimonR

flares_and_an_anorak wrote:

... the mighty Forest side of 78-80... ...were a nothing provincial club, not a massive money making machine like United were in '99, so Clough's triumph is far superior to Ferguson.

To be fair, 'football' did go through some enormous changes between 1980 and 1999.

Only a complete fool would even attempt to draw managerial comparisons and make judgements - oh, hang on...

Invincibles would have wiped their arse with them, or anybody else for that matter.

Arsenal's 'invincibles' lost 4 of the 5 competitions they entered in 2003-04.
smile

*edit*
they lost the Charity Shield too...

Last edited by smashdad (Saturday Aug 2013 17:00:47)

smashdad wrote:

Invincibles would have wiped their arse with them, or anybody else for that matter.

Arsenal's 'invincibles' lost 3 of the 4 competitions they entered in 2003-04.
smile

word.

SimonR

Must admit I thought some dope would have mentioned the back pass kings of the 70s and 80s in here.

More claim than Pires, ljunberg et all all the same.

Arsenal's self proclaimed Invincibles can not be truly considered as they contained the absolute shithouse of a footballer Patrick Vieira.

Roy Keane single handed destroyed a player and a football club before the 2-4 at Highbury, what have they won since that game? Playing for a draw and penalties in an FA Cup Final.

Honourary mention for the Ajax team of the early 70s.

My favourite United side of the SAF era is with Kanchelski, we used to absolutely destroy teams then. Definitely agree that we underachieved in Europe with the players on our books over the last 20 years.

Agree with Dave - that Milan side....best side I ever saw anyway..

smashdad wrote:

Arsenal's 'invincibles' lost 4 of the 5 competitions they entered in 2003-04.
smile

*edit*
they lost the Charity Shield too...

Deeply muddled thinking from a confused individual. Here, let me show you where you went wrong...

Firstly, you can't 'lose' a competition unless you're the reigning champion of it. In this regard, Arsenal did indeed 'lose' the FA Cup that year because we'd won the previous two in succession. Similarly, Ushited 'lost' their precious Premier League crown to the elemental force which was our superior team that year. We weren't holders of the Champions League or League Cup therefore didn't 'lose' those titles - by your logic, Grimsby Town 'lost' the FA Cup that year...what a bunch of cunts eh?

Anyway, my second point was simply to state that nobody with an ounce of credibility considers the Charity Shield to be worth a wank - it's about as relevant as the Emirates Cup. Although, I'm sure the red scum will be fetching liberally into their pants about Moysey's first 'trofee' should they beat Championship side Wigan Athletic next weekend. Comedy at it's finest.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

Yet Flaresey yourself last week was heralding how Bob Paisley won 20 cups in 9 years yet 6 of them were shields.

See where the word hypocrite comes into play?

When is a shield a cup?

Big Fella wrote:

Yet Flaresey yourself last week was heralding how Bob Paisley won 20 cups in 9 years yet 6 of them were shields.

See where the word hypocrite comes into play?

Not hypocritical, just not researched well enough. I didn't realise about those 6, so strike them from the record Your Honour.

Big Fella wrote:

Arsenal's self proclaimed Invincibles can not be truly considered as they contained the absolute shithouse of a footballer Patrick Vieira.

Roy Keane single handed destroyed a player and a football club before the 2-4 at Highbury, what have they won since that game? Playing for a draw and penalties in an FA Cup Final.

Absolute, unmitigated bullshit. I'll not argue that Keane was a legend, a beast of a player and the lynchpin of a great United team, but Viera is head and shoulders above him on every level. Since your lot like to bang on about 'trofees' as the measure of greatness, Viera won 19 major titles to Keane's 15, amongst them the World Cup and European Championships. That also includes six Serie A titles with 3 different clubs to go along with his Premier League winners medals. The only one which eluded him was the CL, and you could even argue Keane should be docked two trophies because they were with Celtic in one of Europe's biggest steaming turds of a league, but I digress. Viera also has well over double the personal awards within football as Keane, was awarded the French equivalent of a Knighthood, has worked for the United Nations and is still employed at a high level as Manchester City's Elite Football Development Executive. 

Roy Keane is currently a TV pundit alongside Adrian Chiles and Gareth Southgate on ITV.

True Flaresey, such a shame he will only be remembered for shitting his pants on live telly.

Oh and his great pass to Giggsy in the 99 semi.

Flares - if you're going to shit on about how great a player is then at least learn how to spell their name.

Also, Vieira was a sub during World Cup 98 and Inter won a load of those titles due to the fall out from Calciopoli.

Big Fella wrote:

True Flaresey, such a shame he will only be remembered for shitting his pants on live telly.

I agree, it is a shame. I remember watching that game and wishing, like everybody else, that all those United poofs had stood aside and let Keane get his arse handed to him by Shearer live on Sky Sports.

Viera was a fine player in his prime, pity he was such a massive cunt

Mr Boring wrote:

Flares - if you're going to shit on about how great a player is then at least learn how to spell their name.

Also, Vieira was a sub during World Cup 98 and Inter won a load of those titles due to the fall out from Calciopoli.

Pal, if you want to contribute to the discussion with something concrete then do so. I rebuffed BF and provided what I consider to be fair-do's evidence to back it up. You're piddling your pants because I missed an 'i' out of his name.

Dial F for Failure.

It's Vieira FFS.

Never a truly great midfielder IMO, too much of a bully and dirty bastard. Also one of his cups was an FA cup with City, hardly contributed anything.

Anyway back to my point, Arsenal and their so called Invincibles were destroyed by Roy Keane and Arsenal have never been the same since. All the prem managers now know they are spineless and are easy to get at.

Last edited by Big Fella (Sunday Aug 2013 05:13:44)

Mr Boring wrote:

Pal, if you want to contribute to the discussion with something concrete then do so. I rebuffed BF and provided what I consider to be fair-do's evidence to back it up. You're piddling your pants because I missed an 'i' out of his name.

Dial F for Failure.

Hark her criticising contributions to the discussion. This is a thread about the greatest ever club side and you're shitting on about Patrick Vieira and the World Cup.

The Milan side is certainly the best side I've ever watched. Memories of a Sunday afternoon on channel 4 spring to mind.
Man those cunts put some goals away in style. Was disappointed every week it wasn't them on live.

Part of the problem

Im surprised you didnt go for Don Revies all conquering Leeds side Dermo

Can hardly remember it. Apart from my uncle banging on about it. I got taken to a game apparently but really don't remember any of the players apart from Peter Lorimer.

Last edited by Dermo (Sunday Aug 2013 05:39:44)

Part of the problem