Re: Pierre's Book Corner

lol at Tony Blackburn's Auto...

http://storify.com/Eamonn_Forde/tony-bl … d-for-stor

Just finished The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen.....good read.

Has anyone read 'Transatlantic' by Colum McCann?

Even Zackster wouldn't chart this bollix.

La Nausee wrote:

Just finished The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen.....good read.

I struggled with that one, and it won. Bored me about 200 pages in. I had a similar reaction to A Confederacy of Dunces.

Most recent reads:

Sorry by Zoran Drvenkar. Wonderful. Loved every bit of it.

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra. Great story, some really shining moments, but also a little pretentious. Only a little over halfway through, so hopefully it balances out and ends up just being great.

Up Jumped the Devil by Michael Poore. Meh. semi-appropriate last name.

The Marching Dead by Lee Battersby. Fucking woeful. After his highly entertaining The Rat Corpse King this was a complete letdown. Tragic.

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. Excellent. Kind of an Orwellian satire, seemingly noddish to Douglas Adams.

Lost in A Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots, also by Jasper Fforde, both in the Thursday Next series. IiaGB was awesome, very amusing read. TWoLP was a bit more detail oriented, probably because it sets up so much for the rest of the books. I'll have to continue on, I suppose.

I struggled with A Confederacy of Dunces and Catch 22 but persevered with both and am really glad I did. Afew of my friends gave up on both.

Hit Men: Power Brokers and Fast Money Inside the Music Business. by Fred Dannen

Pretty interesting look at the way u.s. music promotion & radio play were controlled by a few men in the late 70s and the  80s.

Any girl that can't distinguish between her grandmother and a wolf is either as dense as teak or comes from a really ugly family

Going to pick up "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running " by Murakami. Hearing a lot of good things from the fitness types.

Diminished Responsibility wrote:

Going to pick up "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running " by Murakami. Hearing a lot of good things from the fitness types.

Will be checking this out fo shizzle.

Tyler Hamilton's expose on cycling - especially the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong - well written, remarkable story, made for compulsive reading - "The Secret Race" - recommended.

smashdad wrote:

Tyler Hamilton's expose on cycling - especially the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong - well written, remarkable story, made for compulsive reading - "The Secret Race" - recommended.

David Walsh's 'Seven Deadly Sins' is a good read, covering the same topic.

Speaking of books.....!!!!!

What is titilating my fellow bibliophiles?

Just finished Ian Rankin's Naming of the Dead.....so so......next up Ian McEwan's Sweet Tooth. Always a good read is McEwan.

Recent reads...
Stephen King Lisey's Story......money for old rope
Chuck Palahniuk Snuff........rubbish
Kurt Vonnegut Slaughterhouse 5.........what's all the fuss about? Bit like The Catcher in the Rye...much ado about nothing
JM Coetzee Diary of a bad Year......not bad

Thoughts on Naming of the Dead?

I loved having Rebus back in my life personally.

Homegrove wrote:

Thoughts on Naming of the Dead?

I loved having Rebus back in my life personally.

Just thought he dragged it out a bit. Not like him to have a 500 plus pager. Still worth a look though.
I would highly recommend Benjamin Black (John Banville's nom de plume)....

I'm reading Neil Cross' Luther-book at the moment. The present tense-writing seems a bit pretentious, but the feel of the TV show is deffo there. And boy is it grim.

Phil, are you a security guard? You certainly have plenty of spare time on your hands.

Big Fella wrote:

Phil, are you a security guard? You certainly have plenty of spare time on your hands.

Lol. No, I just read a lot.....not a whole lot on TV...and I'm an absoule Millsy when it comes to work.

I read two excellent books over the summer:

& Sons - David Gilbert
The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P - Adelle Waldman

Some other unmemorable beach reading trash.

Still slogging through Wolf Hall, Margaret Atwood's latest (meh), and Open City by Teju Cole.

I thought we would have found Dark Matter before we found where Phil's and Hannu's reading interests intersect.

That's movies you're thinking about. When it comes to books my taste is a bit more varied.

Currently reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (sequel to The Shining). It isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Definitely an entertaining read, but far from cerebral.

John Niven - The Second Coming. Very funny, not quite Kill Your Friends, but then what is?

Iain Banks - The Business. Clever, but boring.

Iain Bank - The Crow Road. Bit middle of the road.

I've bought Morrissey's autobiography, but I might never get round to it. If he's reading this: Morrissey, you've turned into a right cunt.

JonQPublik wrote:

Currently reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (sequel to The Shining). It isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Yep i mentioned this in the movie thread, i finished it a few weeks ago.  Really enjoyed it.

JonQPublik wrote:

Might give this a look, just finished his "22.10.63", a bit of a weird time-travel story back to the JFK assassination.

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Has anyone read any of The Dark Tower series? Thinking of giving that a go next, seeing as I enjoyed Doctor Sleep so much.

Yant wrote:

Has anyone read any of The Dark Tower series? Thinking of giving that a go next, seeing as I enjoyed Doctor Sleep so much.

I stopped reading those when I was 20 Yant.