Topic: Sigur Ros

Can anyone here tell one song from another? Or even an album?

Re: Sigur Ros

With Ágætis byrjun and Takk i can. Only two I own.
Missed opportunities to see them live too.

Wish I was old and a little sentimental.

furry wrote:

Missed opportunities to see them live too.

Still kicking myself for not changing the flights when I found out they were doing a free outdoors gig in Iceland a day after I was flying out. Boo.

They are awesome live. Jonsi's own show was amazing too with some of the best visuals I've ever seen.

Top band!

petra wrote:

Still kicking myself for not changing the flights when I found out they were doing a free outdoors gig in Iceland a day after I was flying out. Boo.

Thanks to your better half, I grabbed their fantastic DVD based on these performances upon his recommendation.

Yes.

So, I open the door to my enemies, and ask could we wipe the slate clean,
If they tell me to please go and fuck myself, you know you just can't win

mixes on sound cloud

Saw these cunts on Friday night. Fucking amazing stuff imo.

Tank Top wrote:

Saw these cunts on Friday night. Fucking amazing stuff imo.

same, went to see at jodrell bank, awesome gig, had all the visuals projected on a 250ft dish!
Polica and Daughter were pretty decent too

Last edited by Progged (Monday Sep 2013 03:02:12)

Live stream of their London gig tonight available here from 9pm UK time...

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/tour/2013/20130902-london/

I quite like most other ethereal shit but Sigur Ros get right on my wick.

stylustrouble wrote:

I quite like most other ethereal shit but Sigur Ros get right on my wick.

Mate, not liking Sigur Ros is much more common than liking them but, as someone who really rather does like them - 'ethereal'?  Really?

*looks up 'ethereal'*

I dunno - maybe 'ethereal' I suppose but then again, not so much.  Dictionary definition of 'prog-rock' as far as I'm concerned.  21st Century 'prog-rock' for sure, but 'prog-rock' nonetheless.

Last edited by smashdad (Monday Sep 2013 10:10:03)

Aye!

Fucking top band!
Amazing live!

I'm into every album they have done. Everyone very different once you get into it.

their new album is anything but 'ethereal'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1__PhECzg

Progged wrote:

their new album is anything but 'ethereal'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1__PhECzg

Not previously heard any of their new stuff but,certainly, the stuff they were putting out 5-10 years ago really tests my patience.

Just took a listen to that track you posted,reminds me of the O'Rang "Herd Of Instinct" album (the other two members of Talk Talk that aren't Mark Hollis) that came out in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIItxB0Lvc

Last edited by stylustrouble (Monday Sep 2013 13:36:01)

ive only got into them recently, since their first albums they have come a long way and now are producing a really great range of moods in their tracks - they are stellar live, highly recommended. the effort they put into they sound and visual design is really second to none

Just watched the live stream of the Round House gig this evening - had to fucking install iTunes to do so - what a colossal cunt of a pain that was...

Been to eight or nine of their gigs over the last 10 years and there's no doubt about it - this last album is the biggest change to their sound yet.  It might not be immediately discernible to the casual listener but it's definitely there and it's quite exciting for their future.  In a nutshell they seem to be adding a more 'glitchy/electronic' element to their HUGE sound - in part maybe forced on them as, having lost a member and now a three piece, they have to reproduce all that sound with fewer core musicians to do so hence more machines, and maybe just partly 'cos that's the direction they're headed.

Either way they were fucking astounding at Brixton in March (?), looked good again on the stream tonight and I'm proper up for seeing them again in November.

Last edited by smashdad (Monday Sep 2013 16:30:13)

smashdad wrote:

Been to eight or nine of their gigs over the last 10 years and there's no doubt about it - this last album is the biggest change to their sound yet.  It might not be immediately discernible to the casual listener but it's definitely there and it's quite exciting for their future.  In a nutshell they seem to be adding a more 'glitchy/electronic' element to their HUGE sound - in part maybe forced on them as, having lost a member and now a three piece, they have to reproduce all that sound with fewer core musicians to do so hence more machines, and maybe just partly 'cos that's the direction they're headed.

Plus they don't tour with Amiina as their string section anymore as I understand it. 

The new album is much more 'rock' than previous efforts.  I'm not sure I dig the new sound as much and all of the distortion they've used in a tonne of tracks.

loopdokter wrote:

Plus they don't tour with Amiina as their string section anymore as I understand it.

They had a quartet of female fiddlers *ahem* on stage with them this evening - can't be sure it was Amiina but the coincidence would be remarkable if it weren't...