Re: Pierre's Book Corner

Yant wrote:

Has anyone read any of The Dark Tower series? Thinking of giving that a go next, seeing as I enjoyed Doctor Sleep so much.

The Dark Tower-series is a mixed bag for even King-fans, never mind a casual reader. I fucking love the age-related comments BTW.

Yant wrote:

Has anyone read any of The Dark Tower series? Thinking of giving that a go next, seeing as I enjoyed Doctor Sleep so much.

Read and loved the first three books; I got about 150 pages into Wizard and Glass and it bored the living shit out of me.

chuffer wrote:
JonQPublik wrote:

Currently reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (sequel to The Shining). It isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Definitely an entertaining read, but far from cerebral.

Might give this a look, just finished his "22.10.63", a bit of a weird time-travel story back to the JFK assassination.

If you enjoy the time travel thing, try Sean Farrell's The Man in the Empty Suit. Very entertaining.

Just read Dean Koontz - Relentless

a hairy tangled clag-nut of a read involving a psychopathic murderous organisation, a tele-porting dog and a genius kid who can turn back time.....lord, burn my eyes

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

La Nausee wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

Phil, are you a security guard? You certainly have plenty of spare time on your hands.

Lol. No, I just read a lot.....not a whole lot on TV...and I'm an absoule Millsy when it comes to work.

I smashed the back doors out of my Q2 targets.

FYI

JonQPublik wrote:
chuffer wrote:
JonQPublik wrote:

Currently reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep (sequel to The Shining). It isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Might give this a look, just finished his "22.10.63", a bit of a weird time-travel story back to the JFK assassination.

If you enjoy the time travel thing, try Sean Farrell's The Man in the Empty Suit. Very entertaining.

This looks good.  Might give it a go.

chuffer wrote:

Just read Dean Koontz - Relentless

a hairy tangled clag-nut of a read involving a psychopathic murderous organisation, a tele-porting dog and a genius kid who can turn back time.....lord, burn my eyes

Sounds right up my strada...

Another really good read from earlier this year: Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.  It's a bit nostalgic... back to the 80's– but without the glamour or glitz– with a slight YA nod. Kinda poetic on the whole.

millsy23 wrote:
La Nausee wrote:
Big Fella wrote:

Phil, are you a security guard? You certainly have plenty of spare time on your hands.

Lol. No, I just read a lot.....not a whole lot on TV...and I'm an absoule Millsy when it comes to work.

I smashed the back doors out of my Q2 targets.

FYI

Need to get on the Millsy boat... only managed to Meet Expectations this quarter. Still got that 100% bonus though, natch.

Yant wrote:
JonQPublik wrote:

Yep i mentioned this in the movie thread, i finished it a few weeks ago.  Really enjoyed it.

why, are they making it into a film?....I'm nearly finished with it, liking a lot.
Stopped reading his stuff in the mid-90s as it was all getting a bit shit and weird but after this and the JFK one I might have to give some of his other recent ones whirl....(DarkTower series aside, tried one once and really can't be fucked with the rest)

"I am the fucking club" - Flares 19.03.14

Literary types liked his book Lisey's Story. I did not.

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin. Fantastic. All caught up now. He'd better finish off The Winds of Winter soon, dammit.

The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood. Very good, but not altogether different than a lot of stories out there. Would make a fair film if done right, though.

The Dinner by Herman Koch. Easy but mediocre read... finished it in one day. Nothing exciting or engrossing happens until about halfway through.

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

Only a few chapters in, awful stuff, like reading a kids book, but more dumbed down.

Read a few Iain M Banks books recently too, good plots but poor characters.

Allow me you clueless lovable cunts:( Im sure BF/Flarsey/Smallman will Appreciate)

1. 'You dont have to say you love me' by Simon Napier bell
2.'Any Human Heart' by William Boyd
3.'Altered States' by Matthew collings ..the ONLY book to read on dance/ecstasy sub culture
4.Maribou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh
5.Blades Buisness Crew  By Steve Cowans ..no fucking bullshit like 'Away days' chelsea propaganda.

"Cut 'im Razors"
long good friday.

There's something wrong with me chemically Something wrong with me inherently,The wrong MIX In the wrong genes, I reached the wrong ends By the wrong means, It was the wrong plan In the wrong hands,The wrong theory for the wrong man,The wrong eyes On the wrong prize,
The wrong questions with the wrong replies. Wrong.

I've read three of those I'm delighted to say. Marabou Stork Nightmares is tremendous. And horrific.

Some good choices Ed. I'm currently reading The Primal Scream by Dr Arthur Janov and The Fundamentals of Music Composition by Arnold Schoenberg.

John Digweed has two other brothers called Paul and Ringo

Flaresy - Uneasy Listening Vol.1

I've just read Animal Farm, which was not what I thought it would be having seen the film.

Just reading John Niven - Kill Your Friends at the moment after seeing it in here and don't want the bloody thing to end - one of the best books I've ever read. Fucking love it. Anyone got any similar recommendations? Already read American Psycho.

What are Niven's other books like?

dutchy101 wrote:

Just reading John Niven - Kill Your Friends at the moment after seeing it in here and don't want the bloody thing to end - one of the best books I've ever read. Fucking love it. Anyone got any similar recommendations? Already read American Psycho.

yeah, i'll have to read that.def my cup of tea.

niven was known for getting clarke gabel's cast offs/sloppy seconds.

a rascal by all accounts.

i once saw a picture in bizarre magazineyears ago of the pair, in full riding gear.
boots,whips ,cigars on top of two young girls with saddles on and cheek pieces.

the dirty rotten scoundrels.

'hickory wind' the life and times of 'gram'parsons' (the stones worshipped him as a demi god.)
'blood and retribution@ the story of Nicky van hoogstraten
and the kenny noye bio by wesley anderson are all cracking reads.

Last edited by EDWARDTHECONFESSOR (Thursday Jan 2014 07:54:36)

There's something wrong with me chemically Something wrong with me inherently,The wrong MIX In the wrong genes, I reached the wrong ends By the wrong means, It was the wrong plan In the wrong hands,The wrong theory for the wrong man,The wrong eyes On the wrong prize,

Funnily enough mate, Kill Your Friends doesn't sound too far from your Lloyds of London days haha.

Reading Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl, or just started it to be more precise. Mainly because David Fincher is doing a movie of it. I understand that this is a bit hyped book at the moment. 30 pages in and so far I hate every character. The good thing is that they're believable. DaVinci-code this is not.

dutchy101 wrote:

Funnily enough mate, Kill Your Friends doesn't sound too far from your Lloyds of London days haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVp1mauGnU

Have lined that Niven book on the ipad, nice one Dutchy.

Lol at Clark Gable cast offs Glenn

It's brillaint mate - fucking hilarious.

dutchy101 wrote:

The Death of Bunny Munroe by Nick Cave.