Re: Your all time favorite mix compilation

smallman1 wrote:

I was at the Gatecrasher Summer Sound System for that England v Germany game.

Sasha did an hour on the essential mix before going back to back with Diggers till 6am.

Mint.

Your failings for missing the set at Space are clear for all to see, Ed.  Don't try deflecting by giving us some Mumbo Jumbo about Gatecrasher 3 years later.

"Really happy people aren’t pursuing happiness, you ever notice?"

smallman1 wrote:

Sasha did an hour on the essential mix before going back to back with Diggers till 6am.

Mint.

Me too, it was mint.......discovering the Tidy tent was an experience, that was the day I "parked" my love of trance and spent the next year or so listening to 150 BPM hoover-driven nonsense.......thought it was 2000 though....

"eunuch jelly thou!"

chuffer wrote:

Was a big trance fan but delirium - silence was just cheesy pop bullshit

I assume you're talking about the Tiesto mess that came out afterwards? The Fade remix was fantastic before the whole thing exploded not long after.....it was my younger cousins favourite song on the radio, and she was 11!! Sickening smile

I have slated James Holden's Balance in the past for being 'pedestrian' but actually I gave it a listen again yesterday and it is a fucking excellent mix that somehow passed me by on first few listens.

Especially disc 1.

Supporting ROTTINGHAM HOTSPUDS since 1991.

Its THE only descent mix he's ever done. You can still smell the scruffy unbathed cunt through the speakers though.

Hey looser big_smile

I've given it a number of listens, albeit a few years after it was released, and never got my head around the hype surrounding it.

At the Controls is good too I think. The start of disc 2 especially.

liquitech1 wrote:
chuffer wrote:

Was a big trance fan but delirium - silence was just cheesy pop bullshit

I assume you're talking about the Tiesto mess that came out afterwards? The Fade remix was fantastic before the whole thing exploded not long after.....it was my younger cousins favourite song on the radio, and she was 11!! Sickening smile

The Tiesto mix was utter gash

FREE DOWNLOAD - Silinder - Venus (Erik Bruce remix)

http://soundcloud.com/erik-b/silinder-v … ruce-remix

holden is an awful club dj, and seems to be a smug piece of shit person, but he is great mix tape dj. fear of a sliver planet was a really unique techno mix, back when it came out. no one was playing that kind of sound. that ben pond mash up perfectly encapsulates that whole mix.

but yeah, balance was his finest moment. the build up to that "do what you want" track is out of this world. also, i'd still say that "the wheel" is his all-time best track.

15 years ago at slide in oxford. Terrible. Never forgotten it

benson wrote:

15 years ago at slide in oxford. Terrible. Never forgotten it

Slide at the zodiac. Now there's a blast from the past.

Enjoyable night that was.

Saw Parks and Wilson there a few times.

Fuzzy Ducks was really where it was at though.

not sure whether to be chuffed that Zackster has given his seal of approval to my-fave-mix-cd-evah or not.... (As in the Balance CD01 mix, although Fear Of is also pretty sublime imo)

what with Holden and Zabs walking up and down the queue at Bedrock stuffing cds and flyers in your mits, I realise there was a LOT of hair in them days.

Never rated Holden....except his Britney and Nathan Fake remixes

...stonewall prog classics imo

roberto wrote:

not sure whether to be chuffed that Zackster has given his seal of approval to my-fave-mix-cd-evah or not

lol welcome to the higher state of consciousness, roberto

There's no doubting Holden has pushed out some proper unforgettable prog classics. Some real favs of mine but he should leave mixing well alone.

Hey looser big_smile

smallman1 wrote:

Eh?!  'That' Germany v England game was on 01.09.2001 - Gatecrasher SSS was in June 2001 and I don't think Digweed was even there...!?!

FWIW, I was in Ibiza the weekend of the 1v5 England win with Jon Lisle - Digweed's g/l for Space the following afternoon - Sasha Cowpander debut and closed out the Terrace with...

... big weekend.

Ooops-a-daisy. Smalls in another Spike Island shocker/whopper.

Hey looser big_smile

the england germany game that was on at the sametime as gatecrasher was 2000. i was resitting my exams in Oxford so not there and PvD was playing as the final whistle went. I think that was 2-1. i got absolutely plastered and wrote the next day off meaning I had 4 days to learn all the stuff I had failed to learn first time round for an exam on the friday (14 weeks of teaching). I scraped through. Tough times indeed.

You are right about the 5-1 game. That was late summer 2001.

'Spongiform Lifeblood' was Holden's best ever moment.

Supporting ROTTINGHAM HOTSPUDS since 1991.

Yeh class. Wouldn't mind betting Edward has a signed copy.

Hey looser big_smile

Was always quite partial to this

Bit cheesy but it was when he started doing all that glitchy beepy shit he started to go downhill, imo

Always loved pistol whip.

Holden's Balance005 effort was good.

"Really happy people aren’t pursuing happiness, you ever notice?"